How to get the most from our upcoming Ventura cruise?

moqui_girl

We are sailing on Ventura in 3 weeks and I'm wondering what tips people can share to help us have the best possible cruise. For context, my husband and I are sailing with our daughter who is nearly two.

I've read many reviews and a lot of them are not very positive. I'm certainly not one to be put off but the odd bad review and can put a lot of what people say into perspective but there are a number of points that keep being raised - e.g the poor layout (not able to walk all the way across decks), and the busy/poorly organised buffet.

I'd appreciate any positive feedback or suggestions to get the best out of the ship and minimise some of the possible issues.

Thanks [emoji4]

We were on Ventura in July and had a fab cruise.

One suggestion is not to expect perfection and "go with the flow" when things don't always go right.

Other than that, take a bit of time to familiarise yourself with the layout of the ship and find the areas where you will feel happiest with your daughter.

DH and I have food allergies (serious ones) so informed P&O beforehand. They dealt with this excellently in the dining room (we were on freedom dining). If there are any potential issues like these for your family, make sure you let P&O know beforehand is my advice.

Ignore the manors and go with an open positive attitude, and I'm sure you will all really enjoy your cruise. Best wishes.

Ventura is a little disjointed in terms of layout, but once you realise most areas you need to be are only on 2-3 decks you will soon find your way around.

Walk along your cabin corridor to the lift which takes you nearest the area you want to be, don't use the nearest lift then walk through crowded areas.

Buffet is fine if you don't go at peak times.

First tip is to ignore a lot of the moaners and bad reviews. Your holiday is what you make of it. If you are going relaxed, wanting to have a good time and dress up nice on quite a few nights whilst having great food and a super time then you should be absolutely fine.

I've been on Ventura and Oceana before and loved both ships. I haven't travelled with children but the kids facilities onboard seem first class and there are always plenty of little ones around the main pool areas.

Buffets anywhere in any hotel are always busy at peak times, but there are quieter areas and some outside tables on hotter days which you can find that dont tend to be as well used.

I'd echo previous advice, familiarise yourself with the ships layout in your first couple of days and dont be afraid to 'go with the flow'.

Hope you have a cracking holiday :-D

I've read many reviews and a lot of them are not very positive. I'm certainly not one to be put off but the odd bad review and can put a lot of what people say into perspective but there are a number of points that keep being raised - e.g the poor layout (not able to walk all the way across decks), and the busy/poorly organised buffet.

Thanks [emoji4]

Not being able to walk all the way across decks. Not sure what you mean by this but if you are referring to the Promenade Deck - It is possible to walk the complete length of the ship ascend external stairs walk around bow descend external stairs and complete an entire circuit of ship without going indoors.

The restaurants AFT are difficult to reach if you do not know what you are doing but this is common to many newer ships including Britannia. Basically you can only walk forward/aft the complete length of ship between decks 7 (the Promenade Deck) or any higher deck including up to deck 15 (the Lido Deck). The reach the AFT restaurants you must walk aft on any deck 7 - 15 first then descend. I avoid 7 indoors and 15 as both these are busy, I generally walk full length if I need to, through on any quiet cabins deck ( 8 to 14 in the dry on a carpet!). The back to back galleys (kitchens) prevent passengers from walking the full length of deck 6. Once people understand these basic navigational principals it is easy to go anywhere on the ship.

I generally avoid the Buffet whenever possible. Realistically two adults with young child can go into MDR of an evening and if you are on Freedom get a table just for you or if you are on Club still go to the MDR. The waiters will find high chairs as needed. Alternative is the early childrens tea followed by Night Nursery from 6pm to 2am. Obviously you don't leave children there for the whole session but they can be left while you dine as a session or later for a session while you do a show in the theatre. I like to enter the theatre on Deck 6 (one lower than most people use) and go in via the fire exit. It's perfectly acceptable but if you are delayed in turning up this is a good way of getting a pair of seats late on and easier to sneak in unobtrusively.

I avoid the Buffet in the morning for Breakfast too and go to the MDR again you could do this and sit as a group with high chair if needed. I find it easier with waiters than in a self service cafe environment.

The children's club covers children from 2 years and over at time of sailing which is handy but I think your DD will be under age so if you use club you need a parent to remain on the premises. Most cruise line clubs start at 3 years incidentally so do not get caught out next year by re-booking an alternative line.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Not being able to walk all the way across decks. Not sure what you mean by this but if you are referring to the Promenade Deck - It is possible to walk the complete length of the ship ascend external stairs walk around bow descend external stairs and complete an entire circuit of ship without going indoors.

The restaurants AFT are difficult to reach if you do not know what you are doing but this is common to many newer ships including Britannia. Basically you can only walk forward/aft the complete length of ship between decks 7 (the Promenade Deck) or any higher deck including up to deck 15 (the Lido Deck). The reach the AFT restaurants you must walk aft on any deck 7 - 15 first then descend. I avoid 7 indoors and 15 as both these are busy, I generally walk full length if I need to, through on any quiet cabins deck ( 8 to 14 in the dry on a carpet!). The back to back galleys (kitchens) prevent passengers from walking the full length of deck 6. Once people understand these basic navigational principals it is easy to go anywhere on the ship.

I generally avoid the Buffet whenever possible. Realistically two adults with young child can go into MDR of an evening and if you are on Freedom get a table just for you or if you are on Club still go to the MDR. The waiters will find high chairs as needed. Alternative is the early childrens tea followed by Night Nursery from 6pm to 2am. Obviously you don't leave children there for the whole session but they can be left while you dine as a session or later for a session while you do a show in the theatre. I like to enter the theatre on Deck 6 (one lower than most people use) and go in via the fire exit. It's perfectly acceptable but if you are delayed in turning up this is a good way of getting a pair of seats late on and easier to sneak in unobtrusively.

I avoid the Buffet in the morning for Breakfast too and go to the MDR again you could do this and sit as a group with high chair if needed. I find it easier with waiters than in a self service cafe environment.

The children's club covers children from 2 years and over at time of sailing which is handy but I think your DD will be under age so if you use club you need a parent to remain on the premises. Most cruise line clubs start at 3 years incidentally so do not get caught out next year by re-booking an alternative line.

Regards John

Actually John it's only Arcadia and Oceana where you do not have to got up and over, on the other 5 you have to. Not counting Adonia.

About the buffet....we've been on Ventura four times now, and rarely had to share a table for lack of space. Always walk right through to the back of the ship, to the red area. People don't bother doing that, just use the blue area, and stand around looking hopefully for a seat....yet we made it a game on the last cruise to count how many free tables there were at the very back. There were always many free, at breakfast time.

The same in an evening...it might not be as convenient to have to walk from the red area to the only serving counter open, but there's always been tables there. We look for a table for two next to a window, but they're the first to fill. The wine steward for that area isn't as busy, either.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Some really useful ideas. I fully intend to have a lovely holiday and I'm not one to let small issues get in the way. However if never hurts to have insider knowledge of the things you find out by the end of the cruise that you wish you had known at the beginning!

Ventura is a little disjointed in terms of layout, but once you realise most areas you need to be are only on 2-3 decks you will soon find your way around.

Walk along your cabin corridor to the lift which takes you nearest the area you want to be, don't use the nearest lift then walk through crowded areas.

Buffet is fine if you don't go at peak times.

This is a really good suggestion. I will try and remember this as its very much against our instincts from sailing on RCI ships which seem to encourage you to walk through public areas to reach different parts of the ship.

This is a really good suggestion. I will try and remember this as its very much against our instincts from sailing on RCI ships which seem to encourage you to walk through public areas to reach different parts of the ship.

To be honest I think the suggestion about walking along corridors is all down to personal preference. I find the corridors on the accommodation decks too enclosed for my taste. I would rather walk through the more open public areas myself.

For instance go down to deck 7 aft by tne Havana bar and walk along past Sindhu to get to the atrium is for me than walking along the length of the ship along the narrower corridors.

It will depend on what you find for yourself.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

I hope they still give out the mini maps I tended to look at this for the first few days work out where I needed to go ie which stairs and which floor and try to go thru quiet areas to get to the correct stairwell for going up and down. Also working out what times the MDR and Shows kick out or fill up for showings can help to decide if you will be travelling against the flow on certain decks... Navigating with a pram will be fun this time...mmm wonder if I can fit drink holders...

I hope they still give out the mini maps I tended to look at this for the first few days work out where I needed to go ie which stairs and which floor and try to go thru quiet areas to get to the correct stairwell for going up and down. Also working out what times the MDR and Shows kick out or fill up for showings can help to decide if you will be travelling against the flow on certain decks... Navigating with a pram will be fun this time...mmm wonder if I can fit drink holders...

Yes the pram is going to be an interesting challenge for us!

Yes the pram is going to be an interesting challenge for us!

The pram issue is why I suggested walking along cabin deck corridors. The promenade deck route; indoors past all the photo sales and bars etc. infrastructure is fine when it's not busy. When it's busy; near 1st 2nd sittings pushing a pram through the crowd is not my idea of what to do. It will be excellent when these areas are slack.

You get a side on map of the ship; technically an "elevation view"; for finding your way around the ship. This is given to you in a wallet by the check in staff who insert your cruise card at initial check in at the terminal. Page 3 of the wallet has your cabin number written on it as it does not appear on cruise card for security reasons. Tear off the cabin number page and throw it away once you are confident of where you are staying.

Regards John

The pram issue is why I suggested walking along cabin deck corridors. The promenade deck route; indoors past all the photo sales and bars etc. infrastructure is fine when it's not busy. When it's busy; near 1st 2nd sittings pushing a pram through the crowd is not my idea of what to do. It will be excellent when these areas are slack.

You get a side on map of the ship; technically an "elevation view"; for finding your way around the ship. This is given to you in a wallet by the check in staff who insert your cruise card at initial check in at the terminal. Page 3 of the wallet has your cabin number written on it as it does not appear on cruise card for security reasons. Tear off the cabin number page and throw it away once you are confident of where you are staying.

Regards John

Yes i see it makes sense. Thanks. We have a cabin that is almost exactly mid ship so pretty convenient for is to use any of the lifts from there I think.

Actually John it's only Arcadia and Oceana where you do not have to got up and over, on the other 5 you have to. Not counting Adonia.

Oriana you can walk round on the same level. Lovely ship.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

There are plenty of lifts on board. In the Atrium area four lifts plus two extra panoramic lifts. If you keep within the central midships area there is not much walking. However if you want to go to the Night Nursery it's Deck 16 Aft then on to the theatre Deck 6 (or 7) Forward it is an eighth of a mile away. A return trip is a quarter of a mile! Plus nine decks down and nine decks back up. If you get allocated Bay Tree Restaurant it's handy in conjunction with the Night Nursery (both Aft) or just a lift journey between them. But the theatre is still an eighth of a mile away from this Restaurant and you need to get up and over the kitchens.

It makes a lot of sense to think in terms of Forward/Midships/Aft and Deck number; particularly as this is how locations are described in the Horizon Newsletter. Otherwise you can walk about in the wrong direction for quite a way!

Regards John

There are plenty of lifts on board. In the Atrium area four lifts plus two extra panoramic lifts. If you keep within the central midships area there is not much walking. However if you want to go to the Night Nursery it's Deck 16 Aft then on to the theatre Deck 6 (or 7) Forward it is an eighth of a mile away. A return trip is a quarter of a mile! Plus nine decks down and nine decks back up. If you get allocated Bay Tree Restaurant it's handy in conjunction with the Night Nursery (both Aft) or just a lift journey between them. But the theatre is still an eighth of a mile away from this Restaurant and you need to get up and over the kitchens.

It makes a lot of sense to think in terms of Forward/Midships/Aft and Deck number; particularly as this is how locations are described in the Horizon Newsletter. Otherwise you can walk about in the wrong direction for quite a way!

Regards John

Good stuff There John forgotten so much about Ventura hope it all comes back quickly... Hope we get bay tree too as our cabins are aft so I'll take the run up for'd for the shows after dropping spud off in the night nursery...( hopefully the pram can stay with him for the trip to bed when we pick him up...)

Good stuff There John forgotten so much about Ventura hope it all comes back quickly... Hope we get bay tree too as our cabins are aft so I'll take the run up for'd for the shows after dropping spud off in the night nursery...( hopefully the pram can stay with him for the trip to bed when we pick him up...)

We're in Bay Tree but Harriet is eating with us so no advantage there for us [emoji53]. We are early seating and she'd never be asleep by 6.30.

We're in Bay Tree but Harriet is eating with us so no advantage there for us [emoji53]. We are early seating and she'd never be asleep by 6.30.

I should go to Youth Area registration as soon as this opens to register. You need both parents to get signed up regarding dropping off and collecting youngster. Whilst there enquire specifically about dropping off at 18.30 and what level of sleepiness will be required at that time in the evening. They might disclose that they just want quiet ones early on. They will likely give you a pager to recall you if necessary. But you can find out the score and work out if early children's tea is an option.

If you can drop off at 18.30 getting to Bay Tree restaurant in time wont be too difficult. There will be plenty of empty lifts because the buffet diners will be coming up to the high decks for dinner and vacating the lifts. You can be first in lift going down and will find it fills back up on descent to 6 as Bay Tree diners pack in.

If you are on a shared table tell the other diners to carry on in your absence if you are not punctual. I think you will make it by an acceptable time 18.10 at the latest. If you feel it is too late to go to the first sitting. The Buffet is an alternative however you can still check out if the upgraded restaurants have any availability on the night for now or a bit later. Beach House and Epicurean are nearby if you get recalled though Epicurean is often a sell out. Early on in the cruise a lot of people have not worked everything out and winging it is easier.

You just got to work out what the options are from the start and go for things. You can run things differently each night to suit, I have even seen three guys in tuxedos pushing a sleepy child round in a pushchair discussing the dinner/sleepy child/entertainment issue in a rational civilised manner. Just find out what works nice.

Regarrds John

Edited by john watson