Best time to cruise Alaska

judymag

DH and I have done two Alaskan cruises. They were both the last two weeks of the season which means the first two weeks in September. It was late enough that we felt the crisp Alaskan cold but not really bad weather. Also, out of 3000+ passengers neither cruise had over 16 kids on board (Celebrity). We sailed out of Vancouver which is a great city to spend a couple of days if you have the time.

DH and I have done two Alaskan cruises. They were both the last two weeks of the season which means the first two weeks in September. It was late enough that we felt the crisp Alaskan cold but not really bad weather. Also, out of 3000+ passengers neither cruise had over 16 kids on board (Celebrity). We sailed out of Vancouver which is a great city to spend a couple of days if you have the time.

Thanks for this info would like Vancouver as my cousin lives there so can hook up were traveling from Ireland so intend to spend some time post cruise at our last port of call

We've done the northbound out of Vancouver three times end of May..and most recently the roundtrip out of Vancouver first week of September...both had actually good weather...but I think I prefer the first of the season instead of the last.

We've done the northbound out of Vancouver three times end of May..and most recently the roundtrip out of Vancouver first week of September...both had actually good weather...but I think I prefer the first of the season instead of the last.

May & June tend to be some of the best months...and also good for whale watching. Weather tends to be better then too. Our mid-May cruise there was fantastic on all accounts.

May & June tend to be some of the best months...and also good for whale watching. Weather tends to be better then too. Our mid-May cruise there was fantastic on all accounts.

The only thing we saw differently during our Sept 4-11 cruise was the Salmon in Creek Street at Ketchikan...and very disappointed we only saw one eagle during our Bering Sea Crab tour...in May we have seen a LOT on this tour...On the other hand 50% off in all the shops...but I still prefer end of May.

BTW...We were lucky enough during this cruise to see the Northern Lights from our balcony :)

Edited by Ashland

We cruised Alaska during the last week of August and the first week of September and had wonderful weather except for one day when it rained and the seas were a little rough that evening. We saw lots of orcas, bears, seals, etc. Next year, we are going on the very last cruise HAL offers in Sept which begins on Sept 24 so I expect it may get a little chilly. :)

I have been twice once in July and the last time two weeks ago and I can tell you that July the weather is warmer, this time rained more and damp but still enjoyed greatly and I suggest that you do the cruisetour which you have 4 days in Denali or Fairbanks the train ride to Denali was beautiful

In general....

• May to July is driest in Alaska statistically for excursions. August is when it starts to get wet. September is best for storm chasers. Some storms are so strong they shut down the ports.
  • July to mid-August is driest in Vancouver/Seattle
  • August and September may have more wildlife in the open for feeding
  • May might have ice congestion preventing you from going up Tracy Arm to seek out Sawyer
  • May and September offers lower prices for budget travellers
  • I would like to try July for my next trip... but prices will be higher than May/September.

There's some seasonal opportunities too....

• Vancouver offers a fireworks competition Wednesday and Saturdays in late July
  • Vancouver offers a Pride parade and festivities in early August
  • late August 2016 offers the Americas Masters Games

• if you like to see soccer.... there is a large stadium where the games are held. Perhaps plan your visit when your local team is competing.

• mid June has a dragonboat racing.... check out the Gut's 'n Glory endurance race where boats are in a high speed oval.

• check out the concert schedule to see if your fav performer will be in town

Edited by xlxo

I suggest- you determine what activities you wish to include and what you want to see.

As you see from above, people have great times the entire season. But some activities are better at different times, like salmon runs, which you need to consider mid July and later. Lake Bennett train- which doesn't run in the fringe weeks of the season, glacier dos sledding shuts down end or August- about. Inside passage bear touring areas are narrow dates. as examples.

I have sailed all the various timeframes. weather can have more potential for cold and damp from end of August through Sept. the negative of sailing Sept for me, is the lack of daylight- which is a significant priority I have for my Alaska travels- (which I greatly enjoy). I have sailed Sept several times- when the rates are rock bottom. AND, I've always had earlier trips the same season. The regular rates aren't that much cheaper in my opinion, booked more in advance.