Crown Princess quick thoughts from 3 day cruise September 2015

sonomaphil

Fresh off the ship, some quick hits about the 3 day repo coastal cruise Vancouver to LA. 9/20-9/23 2015 on Crown Princess. Just sea days on this one, no ports.

--The Crown seems in fine shape. Most of the ship seemed freshly painted, we smelled varnish all over and there seemed to be new carpet in many areas including Skywalkers and on the stairs. As a matter of fact the forward stairs carpet looks more like the browns I've seen in pictures from the Royal/Regal rather than the green teals. It does contrast in areas where the new carpet is not in yet.

--This is the second straight repo we have purchased the All-Inclusive Beverage Package. I can see where beer and mixed drink drinker may have trouble getting value out of the package but as we are wine drinkers it's a no brainer. We like to spend time in Vines and since most wines are $7 to $10 it's an easy decision to make. Factor in waters for the room, $3.50 for a big bottle, cappuccinos at $3.50 and coffees for $1.75 plus our new favorite the Raspberry Pomegranate Splash (with soda please) at $4.50 it's easy to get to $49 a day. And don't forget the shakes at $2.50 by the pool, they are included too.

--Speaking of Vines, Jude and Allan were great! Actually I don't think I've ever had a bad experience at Vines with any servers, they have all been great. This Vines is different in the bar is in back covering windows on Desk 5. The newer (I guess) design is for a bar out front and what creates a sort of entry way into Vines. The bar in front is a much better design as it seems to prevent people from just taking a seat in Vines from Piazza/IC overflow.

--Main dining room food was good, and here's a shout out to some of the best Prime Rib I've had on all Princess ships. Fresh, cooked perfectly and a good size piece. On the other had the final night American landfall menu can be missed. Meatloaf, the "Tom Turkey" plate and some not so memorable apps. Back in May on the Golden 3 day repo they did the 50th anniversary menu, wish we had that again.

--Buffet was the buffet. We had breakfast there each day and one or two lunches. One breakfast we British style which I enjoy. My wife loves the fruit tarts!

--Entertainment in the Piazza was really only music, no acrobats or anything. We didn't mind that at all but you could tell the musicians really don't draw crowds.

--Some areas of the ship were warm, some cold. Very uneven.

--Embarkation in Vancouver is actually pleasant now. Nicer than standing in long zig-zaging lines. It was confusing back in May when they switched to this system but they have it down now. Three ships in port was no issue.

--Disembarkation was fine in LA, small delay nothing major.

--This cruise makes us Elite. Hate us if you like but this cruise makes 15 total with 61 sea days. 6 seven day cruises, 4 three day cruises, 2 two day crises and 3 one day cruises. We'll have Princess do some laundry on the Caribbean Princess in November to celebrate. 7 days, Western Caribbean by the way from Houston.

--This cruise makes us Elite. Hate us if you like but this cruise makes 15 total with 61 sea days. 6 seven day cruises, 4 three day cruises, 2 two day crises and 3 one day cruises. We'll have Princess do some laundry on the Caribbean Princess in November to celebrate. 7 days, Western Caribbean by the way from Houston.

Thanks for the report.

I don't hate you, but I do have a bit of envy for west coast residents as you have a lot more opportunities for these short repo trips to pile up the trip credits.

As I recall, there were a few of these out of Florida not long ago and a lot of people piled onto those when special promos came up.

For us the cost to travel down to Florida means we want to take longer cruises to make it worthwhile.

We are the tortoises getting to Elite, but can't be upset with those who can accomplish it faster. (We'll hit 9 credits after Nov cruises).

Edited by steelers36

Fresh off the ship, some quick hits about the 3 day repo coastal cruise Vancouver to LA. 9/20-9/23 2015 on Crown Princess. Just sea days on this one, no ports.

--The Crown seems in fine shape. Most of the ship seemed freshly painted, we smelled varnish all over and there seemed to be new carpet in many areas including Skywalkers and on the stairs. As a matter of fact the forward stairs carpet looks more like the browns I've seen in pictures from the Royal/Regal rather than the green teals. It does contrast in areas where the new carpet is not in yet.

--This is the second straight repo we have purchased the All-Inclusive Beverage Package. I can see where beer and mixed drink drinker may have trouble getting value out of the package but as we are wine drinkers it's a no brainer. We like to spend time in Vines and since most wines are $7 to $10 it's an easy decision to make. Factor in waters for the room, $3.50 for a big bottle, cappuccinos at $3.50 and coffees for $1.75 plus our new favorite the Raspberry Pomegranate Splash (with soda please) at $4.50 it's easy to get to $49 a day. And don't forget the shakes at $2.50 by the pool, they are included too.

--Speaking of Vines, Jude and Allan were great! Actually I don't think I've ever had a bad experience at Vines with any servers, they have all been great. This Vines is different in the bar is in back covering windows on Desk 5. The newer (I guess) design is for a bar out front and what creates a sort of entry way into Vines. The bar in front is a much better design as it seems to prevent people from just taking a seat in Vines from Piazza/IC overflow.

--Main dining room food was good, and here's a shout out to some of the best Prime Rib I've had on all Princess ships. Fresh, cooked perfectly and a good size piece. On the other had the final night American landfall menu can be missed. Meatloaf, the "Tom Turkey" plate and some not so memorable apps. Back in May on the Golden 3 day repo they did the 50th anniversary menu, wish we had that again.

--Buffet was the buffet. We had breakfast there each day and one or two lunches. One breakfast we British style which I enjoy. My wife loves the fruit tarts!

--Entertainment in the Piazza was really only music, no acrobats or anything. We didn't mind that at all but you could tell the musicians really don't draw crowds.

--Some areas of the ship were warm, some cold. Very uneven.

--Embarkation in Vancouver is actually pleasant now. Nicer than standing in long zig-zaging lines. It was confusing back in May when they switched to this system but they have it down now. Three ships in port was no issue.

--Disembarkation was fine in LA, small delay nothing major.

Thanks for the report. We go on the Crown in November.

I see you are from wine country, assuming that is Napa. We are visiting there in a month. I've only been there once 20 years ago. Looking forward to checking out some wineries and maybe a grape stomp.

We were on the same repo. You obviously boarded early as we did, minimal issues. Family members with no status arrived at 1:00pm to begin check-in. It took them almost 2 1/2 hours to board. We will definitely not cruise out of Vancouver again with 3 ships in port. This was our second cruise this year with the same issues on embarkation.

Crew and service on board where great. Minimal upgrades but definitely an upgrade in progress. Will be back on in mid-October for Pacific cruise.

We were on the same repo. You obviously boarded early as we did, minimal issues. Family members with no status arrived at 1:00pm to begin check-in. It took them almost 2 1/2 hours to board. We will definitely not cruise out of Vancouver again with 3 ships in port. This was our second cruise this year with the same issues on embarkation.

Crew and service on board where great. Minimal upgrades but definitely an upgrade in progress. Will be back on in mid-October for Pacific cruise.

You're right, we were on early. I guess we have just gotten used to getting to Canada Place early. I do think the sit down system this year is better than the old stand in line system. A few years ago I remember standing a in a line that went outside and snaked around Canada Place.

Hi,

I was on this same short cruise and had a wonderful time. I think that the ship looks great and is very well maintained. Also, I was pleased with the food and dining experience (I had traditional dining - second seating). The ship began boarding in Vancouver at noon. There were some delays during the debarkation in Los Angeles, but I arrived at the airport in plenty of time before my flight (which was scheduled for 1:37 pm). Overall, this was a very enjoyable cruise. I definitely would consider cruising aboard the Crown Princess in the future. In fact, I am cruising aboard her sister (Ruby Princess) in November. :)

Chuck