Tipping in Specialty restaurants

Jerzy Traveler

I, too, was told once that I could not get soup, salad and an appetizer with my entrée unless I was going to pay for the senses menu. I had already had the premium beverage package so really didn't want to almost double the cost of my already expensive dinner just to get a small salad. I assured the waiter that I wasn't going to order dessert .... I never do. He just wouldn't budge ...

Wow. That's just wrong - whether you have dessert or not.

Mike

I only have one Celebrity cruise under my belt.

We dined in Murano five times during that cruise. The service was excellent each time. I did not tip at all the first three times, on the fourth I tipped $100.

On the fifth occasion the service was exactly the same as the prior four.

Draw whatever conclusions you like.

Apparently "when in Rome..."

How long til this tipping empire dies an unnatural death?

I, too, was told once that I could not get soup, salad and an appetizer with my entrée unless I was going to pay for the senses menu. I had already had the premium beverage package so really didn't want to almost double the cost of my already expensive dinner just to get a small salad. I assured the waiter that I wasn't going to order dessert .... I never do. He just wouldn't budge ... think he must have been having a tough day or something. I mentioned this to someone with some authority and was granted another specialty dinner in credit....which was more than fair. I haven't had that problem since. As mentioned, I don't take advantage as I never order dessert but do love their soup, do love their appetizers and do love having a small salad with my dinner. My evening wasn't ruined but no extra tip for that waiter.

We had the same experience on the Summit. I wanted an appetizer, soup and a salad. Waiter refused. I asked for a supervisor and he also said this was not possible and not in a nice way. What is the policy in the Celebrity specialty restaurants regarding what one may order? We just returned from a Princess cruise and while in the Crown Grill we were actually encouraged to order whatever we wanted including the entrees. IE steak and lobster. Is this not possible on a Celebrity ship? Want two desserts, just order them! BTW the price in the Crown Grill is just $25 per head vs. $45 to $50 on Celebrity. The steak on Princess was much better than the Tuscan Grill.

We are booked on the Equinox and are curious what to expect. Anyone care to share their experience?

Thanks

Edited by HleeCruiser

I can assure you that anyone who eats in Murano will get any reasonable request without question. Recently we saw a rather large couple next to us each order 2 appetizers followed by, I couldn't believe my eyes, each had Chateau Brianna with a couple of lobster tails, the lady left more that half and her husband was laughing. I spoke to the waiter later and he said it wasn't unusual for people to go OTT but we seldom refuse unless we are near the end of the cruise and running short of some dishes.

We ate in Chops on RCI Freedom last month and the waiter insisted gratuities weren't included. My wife asked for a glass of white Zinfandel wine and it went down like turpentine. She asked for a different wine and the waiter insisted we had to buy a bottle for $68 if we wanted anything different. We bought the bottle and the wine was good.. He pushed all the extra expense entrees on the menu. When the bill came the waiter pointed to the "tip line" and said "This is what I care about" . The food was not better than the MDR and foolishly I left a tip. We were fleeced, but lesson learned.

We are on Silhouette now and have a reservation Saturday for Qsine.

Cover charge $45 pp so no extra tip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We had the same experience on the Summit. I wanted an appetizer, soup and a salad. Waiter refused. I asked for a supervisor and he also said this was not possible and not in a nice way.

We are booked on the Equinox and are curious what to expect. Anyone care to share their experience?

Thanks

"No soup for you".

We have found that if you order in a polite way, it will be granted.

Just a few years ago when it was truly a nominal charge and was often discounted we were ready to leave a tip.

Now that prices have risen to non-nominal it would have to be very special.

Our most recent experiences were not as good as we remembered at lower prices so we left nothing extra "for Celebrity's convenience".

Recently, we have not been shortlisting Celebrity and expect to be on other lines for our next 3-4 cruises.

We will use X again as we have an open passage but will skip the specialty options.