Tipping in Specialty restaurants

Jerzy Traveler

The extra charge for the speciality restaurant includes the tip. For excellent service we leave and additional tip- unfortunately our last 2 out of our last 3 dinners in speciality restaurants didn't warrant any tip😁.

18% gratuity is included in the cost of specialty restaurants. at $100 for two includes nearly $20 in gratuities. 18% is also added to any booze purchased. Would need to be pretty good service for any extra IMO

The extra charge for the speciality restaurant includes the tip. For excellent service we leave and additional tip- unfortunately our last 2 out of our last 3 dinners in speciality restaurants didn't warrant any tip😁.

Same experience & decided to stick to the MDR . Why pay extra when the dinners are not top quality ;)

Last time we ate in a specialty, we had "over service", to the point we needed to ask that we not be hovered over.

Too we were "lectured" on how we could not order two appetizers and no salad. (We DID convince the server to double check with his supervisor who agreed we weren't doing anything weird.) We asked to see the maitre d while leaving. He was apologetic and said new servers were being "over ambitious".

Other experiences were better. But I don't think dh has added an additional tip on top of the 18%. We stick to the menu, not any special requests.

• 3 months later...

I want to follow up on this. Is the charge for each specialty restaurant just for the gratuity for the staff or does it also cover an "entrance" fee (the privilege of eating in one or for the ambience?) Cause if I pay $90 for two of us to eat in one, that's like almost 25% tip on a $400 meal. Is this meal worth $400. (I know there are discount packages).

A few weeks ago we ate in murano on the eclipse and were seated in the wine cellar area. Not only was the food outstanding, the service was incredible. We had a dedicated head waiter who poured wine and organized others to help serving...as well as managing both the lobster and the steak Diane which he personally cooked at the table. Our party of six had a wonderful meal and the waiter got a wonderful extra tip. When it's deserved, I'll gladly tip extra. Note...we left no extra tip at Tuscan grill which was average both in food and service.

Edited by ghstudio

• 2 months later...

Since specialty restaurants and the premium beverage package are included with suites, are there any additional charges added for dinner at any of the specialty restaurants? Also, can OBC be used for additional tip?

Since specialty restaurants and the premium beverage package are included with suites, are there any additional charges added for dinner at any of the specialty restaurants? Also, can OBC be used for additional tip?

Complementary access to Specialty restaurants is only available to Royal Suites and above, other suite passengers have to pay the cover charge like everyone else.

No other additional charges are required other than the cover charge which includes the gratuity element. As previous stated you are free to give extra as you wish and your OBC will be able to be used if you add the gratuity to the check

Complementary access to Specialty restaurants is only available to Royal Suites and above, other suite passengers have to pay the cover charge like everyone else.

No other additional charges are required other than the cover charge which includes the gratuity element. As previous stated you are free to give extra as you wish and your OBC will be able to be used if you add the gratuity to the check

Murano has a tasting menu that carries an additional fee per person. I think it was an additional $39 per person on the Reflection last month but can't remember the price exactly because it came with A LOT of wine. ;)

But the point being is that there is usually an opportunity to spend extra money for add-ons even if the base meal is "free."

We recently were on the Reflection and booked the 5 dinner package. All gratuities were included on our cruise but I felt guilty and left an additional tip when dining in the specialty restaurants. Was I being generous? What is the proper gratuity?

Hi,

Have you thought that you are actually paying the gratuity twice, once for the normal MDR which you have not used and once for the speciality so if you tip gain that would total 3 tips, these peoples are doing their jobs. Do you get a gratuity for doing your job?

The surcharge for the specialty restaurants is high. You can tip more if you desire. Since you have already paid the mandatory tips for the entire cruise, adding more tips is your choice. I do not tip extra in a specialty venue. Those servers have fewer people to serve compared to the MDR. I have given a MDR waiter extra tip if he does something special for me. MDR waiters especially those in select dining deserve extra tips.

Murano has a tasting menu that carries an additional fee per person. I think it was an additional $39 per person on the Reflection last month but can't remember the price exactly because it came with A LOT of wine. ;)

Almost correct - In Murano you have a choice of right hand menu with a $50 cover charge and the left hand menu which is called Five Senses at $89 cover charge. The Five Senses menu is 5 courses, each course paired with a glass of wine.

As I recall from our Equinox (and Princess cruises for that matter), the receipts given to me to sign included a line for a tip just like any land-based restaurant. Both cruise lines need to make it clear what tip, if any, is already included. Neither one does, which I am sure is no accident. This has been an issue for years.

Edited by sptrout

Guess I learn something everyday. Must have missed the part about the gratuities being added to the price of specialty dining. $120 mistake. We ate at Tuscan 3 times, Silk 2, and Murano once. We ate at Oceanview otherwise. No dining room. We always chose not to have gratuities automatically taken out. Then we use that money to book specialty. But then we find this out and realize that we blew it anyway. We hand our room attendants cash, as well as others, bar service, that we feel took a little extra care with us. So a lesson is learned, after last 4yrs of doing this. Better work on my reading comprehension. No wonder the waiters loved us..

The FEE you pay for specialty restaurants INCLUDES the tip. If you want to give more...have at it! I think, considering the cost of food is included in your fare..the "fee" is for tip and service...that $5 pp is MORE than ample additionally. Remember...drinks are charged separately and the tip is include in the charge.

Edited by cb at sea

Almost correct - In Murano you have a choice of right hand menu with a $50 cover charge and the left hand menu which is called Five Senses at $89 cover charge. The Five Senses menu is 5 courses, each course paired with a glass of wine.

In our case, we had a "free" meal for being in a suite. Our upcharge for the tasting menu was therefore $89-$50 = $39. YMMV.

Guess I learn something everyday. Must have missed the part about the gratuities being added to the price of specialty dining. $120 mistake. We ate at Tuscan 3 times, Silk 2, and Murano once. We ate at Oceanview otherwise. No dining room. We always chose not to have gratuities automatically taken out. Then we use that money to book specialty. But then we find this out and realize that we blew it anyway. We hand our room attendants cash, as well as others, bar service, that we feel took a little extra care with us. So a lesson is learned, after last 4yrs of doing this. Better work on my reading comprehension. No wonder the waiters loved us..

Don't want to turn this into a tipping thread, but the automatic gratuity also covers behind-the-scenes people you would never see to be able to give money directly to. For bar service, you're already paying an extra 18% per drink. So my recommendation would be to leave the automatic gratuities alone so you're not stiffing people you didn't intend to stiff and then pay extra to individuals as you see fit.

We dined every evening on the Summit in the Specialty Restaurants for our March 19-26 sailing.

We had the GO BEST package, which included the Premium Beverage Package. In addition, we had the Ultimate Dining Package.

2 meals were at Qsine, and 5 were in Tuscan Grille.

The first meal we had was at Qsine. We tipped our waiter an additional $25.

The next dinner we had at Tuscan Grille. We tipped our waiter an additional $25.

Every time we arrived afterwards, they gave us service of the highest caliber. For that reason, we continued with the same $25 tip every time.

For us, we enjoyed recognizing the service by giving extra. I understand that is not for everyone. It was just a choice that we made.

We dined every evening on the Summit in the Specialty Restaurants for our March 19-26 sailing.

We had the GO BEST package, which included the Premium Beverage Package. In addition, we had the Ultimate Dining Package.

2 meals were at Qsine, and 5 were in Tuscan Grille.

The first meal we had was at Qsine. We tipped our waiter an additional $25.

The next dinner we had at Tuscan Grille. We tipped our waiter an additional $25.

Every time we arrived afterwards, they gave us service of the highest caliber. For that reason, we continued with the same $25 tip every time.

For us, we enjoyed recognizing the service by giving extra. I understand that is not for everyone. It was just a choice that we made.

But those who didn't tip excessively ($25 is an 43% tip on the UDP price of $29 per meal for two people) didn't receive the same service? I can see bribes working to get preferential treatment at a bar but what exactly can a waiter do much differently to vastly improve your dining experience? Chew your food? :D

I've found the service to be consistent no matter what, sometimes leaning towards over-service.

If you don't feel like tipping, don't. Just like going to a restaurant back home, some tip more than others. Americans seem to over tip in Europe. On a cruise where you are spending thousands of dollars, then spending several hundred more for specialty dining, a few dollars to someone who made your evening even better is not going to put you in poverty. Is is it mandatory? No! Is it nice? Is it appreciated? I am sure it is. I am more than an 18% tipper at home. On vacation I am not going to take out a calculator. I reward the person who treats me well.

But those who didn't tip excessively ($25 is an 43% tip on the UDP price of $29 per meal for two people) didn't receive the same service? I can see bribes working to get preferential treatment at a bar but what exactly can a waiter do much differently to vastly improve your dining experience? Chew your food? :D

I've found the service to be consistent no matter what, sometimes leaning towards over-service.

The tone of this response was a bit much. First, we had another couple with us without the dining package. The cost for their meal was $98, inclusive of their wine. So therefore, using THAT math, I think my $25 tip would be generous, but hardly "overtipping" or a "bribe".

Tipping is a personal choice. Some like to tip, some don't. Our waiters both were very personal with us (our choice for the interaction). As such, they had families, and I felt good about what we did.

Last time we ate in a specialty, we had "over service", to the point we needed to ask that we not be hovered over.

Too we were "lectured" on how we could not order two appetizers and no salad. (We DID convince the server to double check with his supervisor who agreed we weren't doing anything weird.) We asked to see the maitre d while leaving. He was apologetic and said new servers were being "over ambitious".

Other experiences were better. But I don't think dh has added an additional tip on top of the 18%. We stick to the menu, not any special requests.

I, too, was told once that I could not get soup, salad and an appetizer with my entrée unless I was going to pay for the senses menu. I had already had the premium beverage package so really didn't want to almost double the cost of my already expensive dinner just to get a small salad. I assured the waiter that I wasn't going to order dessert .... I never do. He just wouldn't budge ... think he must have been having a tough day or something. I mentioned this to someone with some authority and was granted another specialty dinner in credit....which was more than fair. I haven't had that problem since. As mentioned, I don't take advantage as I never order dessert but do love their soup, do love their appetizers and do love having a small salad with my dinner. My evening wasn't ruined but no extra tip for that waiter.