buffet closed from 8 pm - 11 pm on all HAL ships?

amoba

You can't order a hot breakfast on princess unless you are in a full suite. You can't write items on the card and hope to get them. You can't order off the MDR menu on princess for dinner and have it deceived to your room.

Being able to order off the MDR menu is a definite plus for HAL. A lot of people don't know about it. (Thank you, Cruise Critic!)

And the full breakfast from room service on disembarkation day is nice. Some lines have zero room service on that last morning.

Other than having coffee delivered in the AM, we do not really care for room service.

I know cruise lines have it and we did try breakfast once or twice but it was not delivered hot in either instance. That was the end of our foray into the world of cruise ship room service.

Princess = cafeteria open 24 hours; room service menu very limited

HAL = extensive room service menu, 24 hours; cafeteria closed a few hours each day.

Just one reason why we have more HAL cruises than Princess.

Why does it have to be an "either/or" though?

HAL could keep the Lido open longer AND offer room service.

I don't think the cruise lines can do everything and keep the prices where people want to pay. <sigh>

It's as simple as that I fear.

It does come down to choices and voting your concerns on the surveys.

We are about to sail O and none of the specialty restaurants are open for lunch (unlike HAL).

I like specialty restuarants for lunch but that seems to be trade off on this cruise line. Ok, I'll go with the flow.

There seem to be trade offs on every cruise line.

You just can't have everything unless you are willing to pay for it. JMO though.

And the full breakfast from room service on disembarkation day is nice. Some lines have zero room service on that last morning.

It was nicer before the change to having cabins ready when passengers board (which I'm not complaining about). Now on the last morning, the steward hovers to see when we leave and couldn't be more clear about wanting us gone. A leisurely breakfast in the cabin while we wait for our time to debark is a thing of the past. Now we go to the MDR for breakfast on the last morning.

As far as needing an extensive room service menu, I guess I just don't enjoy eating in the room that much. I have to put my meal together from what seems like dozens of little dishes, often the food is hot or cold when it shouldn't be, and items are missing or provided in excess (12 pats of butter, anyone?). It's a lot easier to head out for food, eat at a normal table, have the table cleared promptly, and be on our way.

I understand that not all agree--no need to let me know that I should continue to sail Princess. I will. ;)

That requires more crew. HAL has reduced their crew count and shows no sign of going back to previous staffing levels.

Conversely princess could offer a lot more for room service. The breakfast menu on princess is pathetic. I'm not sure why every line has to be a carbon copy of the next. Why not just have one big cruise line then. Staff is limited.

Edited by cruz chic

Being able to order off the MDR menu is a definite plus for HAL. A lot of people don't know about it. (Thank you, Cruise Critic!)

Yes, love that you can get room service on disembarkation.

That requires more crew. HAL has reduced their crew count and shows no sign of going back to previous staffing levels.

Well then, if I have to choose I prefer the Princess model. :cool: I have never ordered dinner from room service and rarely order breakfast.

Conversely princess could offer a lot more for room service. The breakfast menu on princess is pathetic. I'm not sure why every line has to be a carbon copy of the next. Why not just have one big cruise line then. Staff is limited.

Can't say I've had the same experience as you on Princess in regards to breakfast -- have written in hot items and received them. As to other meals, I don't eat them in my cabin.

I'm not saying lines have to be carbon copies of each other, but HAL seems to have fewer food options during the day and mid-evening than many other lines (some of which charge less than HAL) offer. It's just something they might think about. Looks like the Koningsdam may offer more in that respect. I remain hopeful. :D

Edited by cruisemom42

It was nicer before the change to having cabins ready when passengers board (which I'm not complaining about). Now on the last morning, the steward hovers to see when we leave and couldn't be more clear about wanting us gone. A leisurely breakfast in the cabin while we wait for our time to debark is a thing of the past. Now we go to the MDR for breakfast on the last morning.

As far as needing an extensive room service menu, I guess I just don't enjoy eating in the room that much. I have to put my meal together from what seems like dozens of little dishes, often the food is hot or cold when it shouldn't be, and items are missing or provided in excess (12 pats of butter, anyone?). It's a lot easier to head out for food, eat at a normal table, have the table cleared promptly, and be on our way.

I understand that not all agree--no need to let me know that I should continue to sail Princess. I will. ;)

I don't get room service much either but I also don't think I've gotten dozens of dishes either. Strange.

Well then, if I have to choose I prefer the Princess model. :cool: I have never ordered dinner from room service and rarely order breakfast.

Can't say I've had the same experience as you on Princess in regards to breakfast -- have written in hot items and received them. As to other meals, I don't eat them in my cabin.

I'm not saying lines have to be carbon copies of each other, but HAL seems to have fewer food options during the day and mid-evening than many other lines (some of which charge less than HAL) offer. It's just something they might think about. Looks like the Koningsdam may offer more in that respect. I remain hopeful. :D

Isn't it great that we all have the choice to cruise with whatever cruise line fits us best? On my cruise last year I had terrible ear problems. It was agony to go into the MDR. I had a lovely meal on my balcony. It was very pleasant.

Buffet hours of operation or room service menu options are both attributes that would never be considered in our choice of a ship.

Then I guess your safe from this topic. :) not sure what the point was in telling us that. I'm sure you probably consider other things that I wouldn't when selecting a cruise as well. If we all wanted the exact same things them there would be no cruise line competition.

is there any chance of HAL reading posts on cc and adjusting buffet hours (or any other thing) accordingly or would this only happen from the end of cruise surveys or never happen for any reason? I'm glad to learn that I am not the only cruiser finding an after show snack to be lacking on HAL, although I'd never chose a cruise based on buffet hours. I like Princess for their loyalty program and HAL for their smaller sized ships but I seem to mainly choose based on itinerary.

it's been interesting to read about the differences in room service menus between HAL and Princess. personally, I can't imagine a time where I'd order room service as it seems as though one would then be trapped in the room, waiting for the order, in presentable attire, not showering and not sleeping. for those with partners in their room, balconies, etc, room service might be just the thing.

as far as being asked for room numbers every time one enters the MDR, could it be so someone doesn't go to early fixed seating and then also go to any time dining a couple hours later? maybe during one of my hungry moments I tried to do this and was turned away. Upon questioning HAL staff more recently, I believe I've been told that having 2 dinners, fixed plus any time, is not allowed. having some limited snack items between 7:40 pm and 10:30 or 11:00 pm would solve this issue.

Explorations Café would be a great solution but when I've gone there after a show, they've had nearly nothing left. the dessert/ice cream area has also been totally out of ice cream each time I've tried to get there in time. it would be great to have a refrigerator in the room and then be able to keep a sandwich or something from the mid day buffet. maybe some rooms on HAL have fridges but I haven't had one.

the International Café on Princess is wonderful for the hours and food quality, especially desserts which seem to be better than at the buffet. yes, this buffet hours issue on HAL is a small, but momentarily glaring, thing when a snack is wanted. I don't need 24/7 food hours, just 8 pm-10:30 pm, if the buffet re-opens at 10:30 pm on some ships.

since they have 2 buffet lines, cleaning it is not the issue since they can close one for cleaning and have the other one open, like on every other cruise line.

I think for my next HAL cruise, getting some non perishable snack during the day and hiding it in my room for the evening, is the best option. but not ice cream. I've appreciated all the comments on this topic - thanks! Vicki

There are some folks who work for HAL in Seattle and on the ships that read CC. I seriously doubt they will be changing the Lido hours anytime soon. We've been posting about the short hours they are open for years and there's been no change. :D

Hey Seagarsmoker

haven't seen you on the boards for years. we sailed the Carnival Freedom in may 2010. loved the cigar lounge in the big room that had the jazz trio. we were on the prinsendam transatlantic in nov. '14, the westerdam in Alaska this last june and going on the westerdam again in December this year.

hope all is well

Bruce

(original post trimmed to save space)

it's been interesting to read about the differences in room service menus between HAL and Princess. personally, I can't imagine a time where I'd order room service as it seems as though one would then be trapped in the room, waiting for the order, in presentable attire, not showering and not sleeping. for those with partners in their room, balconies, etc, room service might be just the thing.

I know what you mean. Do I have time to shower before room service gets here?, etc. As for being presentable, the bathrobe is a good solution. I'm sure the waiters see plenty of passengers wearing robes, especially at breakfast.

since they [Princess] have 2 buffet lines, cleaning it is not the issue since they can close one for cleaning and have the other one open, like on every other cruise line.

I thought the buffet was one of the things Princess handled well. Our ship had four sections, two large and two small. It seemed that one of the smaller sections was always or almost always open, stating with early coffee and continental breakfast. Having he two larger sections meant that one could keep serving breakfast late while the other closed down to open lunch early. Then, the first one could close breakfast and add a second lunch line when things got busy.

It may be possible that HAL has reduced the Lido's hours due to a lack of demand. Perhaps passengers just weren't using it?

No, I think they like to be on a strict schedule and that's the way it is. I believe it was like that on my first Hal cruise in 1984.

On our RSVP cruises they keep the Lido open more than on a regular cruise; so it is possible to do it. RSVP surely demands it, maybe demand is not that high on a regular cruise.

Here are the Lido times for the Alaska cruise on the Westerdam this past August (which I was not on):

Continental Breakfast 6am – 10:30am

Full Breakfast 6:30am – 10:30am

Lunch 11:30am – 2pm

Sandwiches and Salad Bar 11:30am – 5pm

Dinner 6pm – 9:30pm

Late Night 11pm – 3am

FYI the Main Dining Room dinner times (all open seating) was 6:00pm – 10:00pm.

Edited by Boytjie

On our RSVP cruises they keep the Lido open more than on a regular cruise; so it is possible to do it. RSVP surely demands it, maybe demand is not that high on a regular cruise.

Here are the Lido times for the Alaska cruise on the Westerdam this past August (which I was not on):

Late Night 11pm – 3am

I'm sure it's possible, especially if extra $$$$ is involved:D. A few years ago I took a 18 hour tour to the Copper Canyon. I believe the tour left around 4am. The lido was open so we could have breakfast, likely around 3 ish.

Late Night 11pm – 3am

Is it possible they have more crew aboard for some Charters?

They could extend contracts to keep more stewards or perhaps temporarily move from one ship to another?

Is it possible they have more crew aboard for some Charters?

They could extend contracts to keep more stewards or perhaps temporarily move from one ship to another?

The only staff that are increased that I am aware of is spa staff, especially massage therapists.

I also know that crew that may be at the ends of their contracts will often request extensions so they can work the charter. I don't know how many of them may opt for that and whether that delays their replacements' arrival or that both are on the ship at the same time.

No, I think they like to be on a strict schedule and that's the way it is. I believe it was like that on my first Hal cruise in 1984.

I save WAY too much paper, and I happen to have stuff from me second cruise, Volendam to Bermuda 1982. Here are the Lido hours:

Early coffee 7 AM

Breakfast 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM

Lunch 12:00 noon - 2:00 PM

Late snacks 11:30 PM - 12:30 PM

Also Bouillon served on Lido deck 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM

Barbecue on Lido deck burgers 12:00 noon - 2:30 PM

Notice what's missing? ;)

There were two sittings for dinner in the MDR, 6:30 and 8:15. Of course they had more waiters then, so service was more efficient. But now there's an extra hour between sittings, which pushes early out to a ridiculous 5:15.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I save WAY too much paper, and I happen to have stuff from me second cruise, Volendam to Bermuda 1982. Here are the Lido hours:

Early coffee 7 AM

Breakfast 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM

Lunch 12:00 noon - 2:00 PM

Late snacks 11:30 PM - 12:30 PM

Also Bouillon served on Lido deck 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM

Barbecue on Lido deck burgers 12:00 noon - 2:30 PM

Notice what's missing? ;)

There were two sittings for dinner in the MDR, 6:30 and 8:15. Of course they had more waiters then, so service was more efficient. But now there's an extra hour between sittings, which pushes early out to a ridiculous 5:15.

Very interesting. I remember the days before Anytime Dining and all-day buffets. ;) I suppose my current patterns of eating aboard ship are based on those "learning" experiences, as I can't think of a time I've eaten dinner in the Lido (other than a return from a very late excursion....)

Also interesting are the timing changes of the early & late seatings. I suppose having to mix in the "anytime" diners at dinner probably also impacts timing, as well as reductions in servers.

Edited by cruisemom42