Garment pressing

Mummble

Hi all!

My DH and I are trying to avoid lugging our large suit bag through our flights for our upcoming cruise. I was wondering what experiences you all have had with pressing garments on Celebrity? I was thinking that we could just fold his suit and my formal dress into a regular checked bag, and get it pressed immediately upon boarding. Has anyone tried this? I anticipate the first formal night being the next day after boarding, do you think I'd get everything back in time? We do love participating in formal nights, but that suit bag is just a pain to lug about.

Thanks for any advice!

We do the same as CathyCruises with suits. Pack them the best we can but do not worry and put them on the bed as we board.they always come back in time and well done.

Formal dress wise I now have two, one long and one short that quite simply do not crease. Perfect! Only problem now is when I look for a new dress it has to meet my no creasing rule!

We do that every time. Works great. On a couple occasions DH removed his folded up jacket and found that it wasn't too bad. He hung it up when he took a shower and the steam and hanging on a hanger did the trick.

I have had several shirts dry cleaned and pressed and they do a great job. I don't bring an entirely new top for each dinner. I repeat and change up with scarves, jewelry. First two cruises I had completely new outfits for each day and for each dinner. Oh brother I learned fast, that's silly!!!

On a couple occasions DH removed his folded up jacket and found that it wasn't too bad. He hung it up when he took a shower and the steam and hanging on a hanger did the trick.

This is what we do too. Here is a video on the folding method I use.

ClaudiaB - I used to bring new dresses for every night too! This is the first time I'm probably going to bring just one, and wear it all three formal nights. I ordered a few online, but only really loved one of them.

TeaBag / Dunmore / Chemmo / CathyCruises - thanks so much for the advice! I'm so glad to hear that you do this successfully with the suits, and that there are ways to pack to help eliminate the wrinkles!

Have any of you had your dress dry cleaned? The dress I am bringing is not a wrinkle-free type, and I'd like to not worry about it either. Do I need to specify to Celebrity to dry clean and press it?

Thanks!

I have had dresses pressed and dry cleaned without any issue.

Relax and enjoy your cruise....The nice thing about setting off for a cruise with just one formal dress is you really need to 'have a little look' at the nearest mall to your cruise port and see if you can find another!

Chemmo - Good to hear that you get dresses done successfully! Great idea on the shopping - a little more sounds necessary... :D

HappyCruiser - Thanks for your advice on the laundry. I'm glad to hear that Celebrity presses well though. I've had poor pressing done that added creases where I didn't have them before, and didn't want a creased dress! :eek:

Thanks all for the advice! 7 days and I will be on my way - woohoo!

One thing to consider, on many of my cruises, formal night has been the day after boarding.

In order to get pressing back within 24 hours rather than standard 48, there is a 50% surcharge. So be mindful of that.

If you send your laundry out by the piece price, it will come back pressed. Maybe smaller, but it will be pressed. :)

Then I've been getting ripped off every time.

I never do the full a bag thing, always use the valet ticket and indicate QTY so I can be sure I document what leaves and comes back.

button up shirts always back folded not ironed or on hangers, unless I send for pressing or drycleaning. I was kind of surprised the first time I got my valet back, as I was expecting all my shirts on hangers and pressed and was very disappointed.

I need to look further into this I guess....

Have any of you had your dress dry cleaned? The dress I am bringing is not a wrinkle-free type, and I'd like to not worry about it either. Do I need to specify to Celebrity to dry clean and press it?

A word of caution, if it's a white dress I would be hesitant to send it out to be dry cleaned. Where we live we don't have any dry cleaners so I usually send out when on a cruise or at a hotel. I sent an expensive white designer dress out on one of my cruises and it came back very dingy with an almost dirty feel to the fabric. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until I returned home as I had sent it out later in the cruise and it only came back the day before I had to pack to come home and I didn't inspect it until I was unpacking. Other than this one incident everything else has been done well.

Thanks all for the extended advice! If they charge the additional 50%, I am more than willing to pay it in order to not lug our suit bag everywhere.

My dress is navy, so hopefully I won't have the same miss-hap as ColdWeatherGirl!

Thanks again!