Beach towels and chops

Chops is no longer "worth it" to us.

I am tending to agree with this statement. The last few times the steak has just not been that great. It was good, but not as good/great as it was a few years ago. We like Giovanni's Table much better (or Portofino). YMMV :D

Food is so subjective. Some people love Chops and Some hate it. I am one of the former and go once or twice when I am on a ship that has Chops. I have never had a bad meal there.

I don't think "good" steak is a subjective thing at all. Some people might not like certain KINDS of food, or certain flavor profiles, but a good steak that is prepared right is always good.

If people frequently leave chops unsatisfied, you can be absolutely sure of 1 of 3 things.

1) They cut corners on the ingredients

2) They aren't cooking it properly

3) The service isn't good.

That's it.

Steak should be cut thick, seasoned then grilled in a hot pan, finished in the oven (for med well/well), and allowed to rest properly. Always.

Edited by Diplomacy

Food is so subjective. Some people love Chops and Some hate it. I am one of the former and go once or twice when I am on a ship that has Chops. I have never had a bad meal there.

I have never had a "bad meal" in Chops either, but my post was to point out that IMO Chops is not worth the price any more that they charge to eat there. I feel that in the past it was worth it. Food is very subjective, so it is just one opinion up against another. :)

As mentioned, food is subjective. I had a very bad steak at Chops once, and while I should have sent it back, I just did not want to make a scene or embarrass my husband. My choice. However, we haven't been back since and will not ever pay for specialty restaurants again. For us, it's not worth it.

Beach towels are quite large, no issue there.

Chops, if you haven't tried them before - give it a shot. I personally was very impressed with Chops during my first couple of visits. Recently, not so much but you probably should give it a try and see for yourself.

Can't help with beach towels, but I can say Chops has a big thumps from my wife and myself, we had ours on The Allure just over 2 weeks ago and it was stunning, but there again all the beef I had on the ship was mouth watering

Is it worth it? All depends on you and your spending style. To some it's worth it to get a balcony but not a suite to others it's not even worth it to have a window. For some the spa is worth it and some it is not. You need to decide if when you are on a vacation that includes a meal plan, is it worth it to you to go out to somewhere different. Think about where you normally go out to eat at home and compare what you spend there in comparison, is it worth it to you?

We had Chops last week on NOS and had a great experience (it is going to vary from ship to ship and who's cooking your meal). We had a late seating (8:30 showed up at 8:15) and it was practically empty. With that being said it was quiet, peaceful, food was cooked to perfection but I did not see another person walk in after us and the tables that were seated before us were on their main dishes so there was probably no rushing in the kitchen on our meals. I had the scallops for the appetizer and they were cooked better than any I have ever had (and I am a scallop snob), my husband had the colossal shrimp cocktail and was very satisfied. We also shared the crab cake and I was not so impressed by it (definitely have had better). My husband and I both had the 9oz fillet mignon with a lobster tail (I couldn't finish mine, he had no problem). They will give you your choice of sauces I tried two: the red wine reduction and I do not remember what the other was (I think it was a bernaise ) but both were excellent. You can pick two sides, I picked mushrooms which were great with the steak and the red wine reduction, I also had a baked potato in which I think I only took two bites of as there was too much food. My husband had The mash potatoes and half of my mushrooms (he did not order a second side). The dessert was the best, wish you could just go in just for the dessert, I had the chocolate mud pie ( really big) and nothing else like it on the ship in the MDR.

To us it was worth it, the price was not bad and sometimes you just want something different and the food was fabulous. Had we gone out for the same meal on land in the states we would have paid a small fortune for it, do I like paying for it when I have already paid for the MDR, no but if there were no cover we probably wouldn't ever be able to get a reservation. For this cruise it was worth it to us and we would do it again but that doesn't mean it would be worth it for every cruise. We also check the storeroom messages on the tv in the room and they run different specials for different restaurants there (and the spa) We had a free lobster tail with our reservation (probably because it was formal night in the MDR)

Edited by rum & monkey