Princess Insurance

cruisinfanatic

I don't think it is good insurance. The medical coverage is minimal ($10K and $20K I believe). I don't have good coverage outside of the US and $20K doesn't get far if something serious happens. You can spend a weekend in a hospital and spend $20K.

To have pre-existing conditions covered, you must be stable (no medical/prescription changes) within 60 days of buying insurance. Not adding insurance to booking but paying for Princess's insurance. If you are medically stable now and for the last 60 days at deposit, you can buy insurance at the same time.

I buy 3rd party insurance that has better coverage and has a better pre-existing condition clause. It doesn't have cancel for any reason but that is fine. Edited by Coral

[quote name='Coral']I don't think it is good insurance. The medical coverage is minimal ($10K and $20K I believe). I don't have good coverage outside of the US and $20K doesn't get far if something serious happens. You can spend a weekend in a hospital and spend $20K.

To have pre-existing conditions covered, you must be stable (no medical/prescription changes) within 60 days of buying insurance. Not adding insurance to booking but paying for Princess's insurance. If you are medically stable now and for the last 60 days at deposit, you can buy insurance at the same time.

I buy 3rd party insurance that has better coverage and has a better pre-existing condition clause. It doesn't have cancel for any reason but that is fine.[/quote]
I think I'm going that route because I don't think Princess covers existing regardless of when you buy it

[quote name='SeaUs']I think I'm going that route because I don't think Princess covers existing regardless of when you buy it[/QUOTE]

They do. They will go back 60 days from the day you buy it.

So if you buy and pay for it today, your last 60 days must be medically stable in your condition (or improvement). If they increased a med or ordered an x-ray, you may not be covered.

I find it confusing, thus buy 3rd party insurance. It is more black and white and usually covers more.

[quote name='SeaUs']Any good? I can't find in their info if it waives pre existing conditions even if purchased near deposit date[/QUOTE]

The best thing about Princess Insurance is that it is not age based. It's cost is a percentage of the fare. For my 91 yr old father and 82 yr old mother, it was their best option for cost by far. They are flying on frequent flyer tickets and they have great medical coverage so it all worked out fine.

[quote name='Coral'][B]They do. They will go back 60 days from the day you buy it.
[/B]
So if you buy and pay for it today, your last 60 days must be medically stable in your condition (or improvement). If they increased a med or ordered an x-ray, you may not be covered.

I find it confusing, thus buy 3rd party insurance. It is more black and white and usually covers more.[/quote]
I want insurance that covers possible pre existing conditions. Princess as far as I can see does not waive pre existing as other insurance does if purchased within 15 days (or whatever it is) Edited by SeaUs

[quote name='septrack']The best thing about Princess Insurance is that it is not age based. It's cost is a percentage of the fare. For my 91 yr old father and 82 yr old mother, it was their best option for cost by far. They are flying on frequent flyer tickets and they have great medical coverage so it all worked out fine.[/quote]
But if they have pre existing conditions and can't cruise, they aren't covered.

[quote name='SeaUs']But if they have pre existing conditions and can't cruise, they aren't covered.[/QUOTE]Yes and no. What makes this coverage desirable for many is the future cruise any-reason cancellation credit. So even if you have a pre-existing condition, you can cancel and get full coverage for a future cruise. If one has good medical coverage anyway, and is just looking for cancellation coverage, this works for a lot of people. As with anything, one must examine your own personal needs and decide what is a best fit for yourself.

[quote name='cherylandtk']Yes and no. What makes this coverage desirable for many is the future cruise any-reason cancellation credit. So even if you have a pre-existing condition, [B]you can cancel and get full coverage for a future cruise. [/B] If one has good medical coverage anyway, and is just looking for cancellation coverage, this works for a lot of people. As with anything, one must examine your own personal needs and decide what is a best fit for yourself.[/quote]
Only if you buy the most expensive policy

[quote name='SeaUs']Any good? I can't find in their info if it waives pre existing conditions even if purchased near deposit date[/QUOTE]
Never get insurance from any cruise line!!! There's always too many loopholes scattered about the contract. Access America among others is a much better bet. My partner had a transplant some years ago & we always worry about issues that may arise as a cruise date approaches. A really good insurance plan helps alleviate some of that stress.

[quote name='SeaUs']I want insurance that covers possible pre existing conditions. Princess as far as I can see does not waive pre existing as other insurance does if purchased within 15 days (or whatever it is)[/QUOTE]

I buy Allianz. It used to be called Access America. TravelGuard and Travelex are also considered very good insurance policies.

When I buy Allianz with my agent, I can buy it at final payment and cover pre-existing conditions. Most Allianz policies you must buy within 14 days of deposit.

I think private insurance is better.

Good luck!

[quote name='keithm']Never get insurance from any cruise line!!! There's always too many loopholes scattered about the contract. Access America among others is a much better bet. My partner had a transplant some years ago & we always worry about issues that may arise as a cruise date approaches. A really good insurance plan helps alleviate some of that stress.[/quote]

We've always gotten the Princess insurance. Had the unfortunate need to use it twice. Had no problems. It did what we expected. May not be right for everyone, but, so far it has worked for us.

[quote name='SeaUs']But if they have pre existing conditions and can't cruise, they aren't covered.[/quote]

Check the 3rd page, right hand side, 1st bullet point under Exclusions and exceptions.

[quote name='ar1950']We've always gotten the Princess insurance. Had the unfortunate need to use it twice. Had no problems. It did what we expected. May not be right for everyone, but, so far it has worked for us.

Check the 3rd page, right hand side, 1st bullet point under Exclusions and exceptions.[/quote]
That tells me that there is no pre existing waiver

[quote name='SeaUs']That tells me that there is no pre existing waiver[/quote]

Whatever. My condition was waived. I meant the criteria so I was fine. As I said, the coverage may not suit everyone. Have a great cruise.

We automatically get upgraded to the Platinum level insurance.

We get the Princess insurance because we originally found caveats in other insurance which didn't cover Texas residents (and several other states). Haven't looked since and have heard that might no longer be the case.

We have had no problem at all with coverage for doctor visits onboard ship, no matter what the reason.

Remember it is secondary insurance, so will pick up the difference between what your primary insurance covers and the total cost. Being retired, we found that especially good as Medicare (and Part D supplements) don't cover medicines prescribed and taken outside of the USA. Princess Platinum insurance covered it entirely.

[quote name='SeaUs']But if they have pre existing conditions and can't cruise, they aren't covered.[/QUOTE]

True, but it is my understanding that they are still eligible for the 100% cruise credit, even if a pre-existing condition causes cancellation. (Please correct me if I am misunderstanding) They are Platinum! Edited by septrack