New tamarind menu

cruz chic

Onboard the Eurodam 10/18 thru 11/01. Had lunch there once, it was good, but we only went once. Had dinner there twice, it was better. The wasabi crusted beef entree was good.

We enjoyed it in part because of Ita, a beautiful Balinese woman we met in 2014 on the world cruise. She is a server at lunch and dinner.

The peanut sate sauce at lunch was good.

I was glad it was available.

The servers are always lovely in the tamarind.

The new menu is also posted on the HAL website. FYI:)

Just wanted to revisit this post now that I'm home. The cdn website is still showing the old menu. It doesn't show the lobster and shows soup and spring rolls that are no longer available. I don't want anyone to get confused. I guess the USA website is different.

• 1 month later...

This might sound like a stupid question... but is there a limit how much you can order at Tamarind? I know in the main dining room, you can order multiple appetizers or entrees... so I am wondering if we can order a combination of sushi and main dishes and couple appetizers?

I see the sushi/sashimi menu (and my DH can eat a boatload) so I am wondering if they let you order 3 orders of sashimi or nigiri, for example or is there a limit to one order per person? On that same note, if DH wants a couple more pieces towards the end of the meal, is he allowed to ask for more?

This might sound like a stupid question... but is there a limit how much you can order at Tamarind? I know in the main dining room, you can order multiple appetizers or entrees... so I am wondering if we can order a combination of sushi and main dishes and couple appetizers?

IIRC it's like the PG, where you can order extra appetizer or dessert but just one entree. Of course you could pay another fee, and get three dinners for two people. BTW in the MDR you can also order multiple entrees.

FWIW I liked the lobster. I almost ordered it a second time, but I had to go with my favorite Wasabi Tenderloin.

Is the Thai soup the same? We're going on the Nieuw A next week and I've been looking forward to the soup for 4 years!

If it's the Thai soup they used to have in the Pinnacle, don't get your hopes up. It's not the same one anymore and even when it was, it was never the same taste on different ships. I went gaga over it the first time I had it and like you, I couldn't wait to have it again. Next cruise, they should have called it green pepper soup because that is all you could taste. Tried again on the next cruise and Bland Chicken Consommé would have been an appropriate name. I gave up.

On a more upbeat note, dinner in Pinnacle and in Tamarind on my recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise were both very good.

Oh yum! Thanks to both of you for the dual effort it posting the menus. Now I am hungry and I have nothing like the items on the menu in my kitchen.

The food is so good! It's hard for me to sail on a ship that doesn't have the tamarind.

Is the Thai soup the same? We're going on the Nieuw A next week and I've been looking forward to the soup for 4 years!

Sadly, the Thai soup is no more. I ended up have two appetizers instead of a soup and an appetizer. The food is so good and we still only want to sail on a ship with a Tamarind, but I miss the soup!

The food is so good! It's hard for me to sail on a ship that doesn't have the tamarind.

I am eager to try. You have always spoken highly of it. I read the menus to DH and we were both saying that we will be eating there over and over on the Koningsdam. But we have to wait 18 months! Ugh.

I am eager to try. You have always spoken highly of it. I read the menus to DH and we were both saying that we will be eating there over and over on the Koningsdam. But we have to wait 18 months! Ugh.

In a two week cruise I usually eat there at least 5 times. The ladies that work there are so sweet too. Usually I run into one of the ladies somewhere on the ship I've met in the tamarind and they always greet me with a huge smile. It's really special.

I'm looking forward to visiting Tamarind a few times on my 7 day cruise too.. however we have set dining, do you think our main dining room servers will be disappointed if we miss too many days of dinner??

Would you consider moving to open? I think it's nice if a person is going to be gone most nights that they do not hold a set table. That's just my take and I might be alone in that feeling.

Thanks for that. With our current exchange rate that is more than we pay for a good Asian meal in Sydney. But we will want to try it at least once. We are touring for two weeks in Italy before our cruise. Much as we love Italian food, after a few days we crave Asian severely.

On our October Eurodam cruise we ate 7 times in the Tamarind and 7 times in the Pinnacle.

We definitely feel the Tamarind is worth the money.

And I agree about the ladies who work in the Tamarind are delightful. The main waitress we had on the Eurodam we also had on the Nieuw Amsterdam just the year before.

Thanks for that. With our current exchange rate that is more than we pay for a good Asian meal in Sydney. But we will want to try it at least once. We are touring for two weeks in Italy before our cruise. Much as we love Italian food, after a few days we crave Asian severely.

I would be surprised if you don't like the Tamarind.

Lucky you! We have a lot of good Asian restaraunts here and you'd be lucky to get out of there with just an entree for $20 never mind a multi course meal.

Edited by cruz chic

Yes we have noticed in Nth America that Asian food is relatively more expensive than here. We eat near a student hub and the competition is fierce and the food great. Also the restaurants there are inevitably BYO with no corkage.