Balcony doors childproof on Jewel ?

Taking 4 & 7 yr olds on Jewel and have jr suite. I know Disney has very high up locks on balcony door but wonder how secure the Jewel's balcony doors are from children's prying hands? We watch the children in the day, of course, but are concerned if kids wake up before us. Please advise. Thanks!

Taking 4 & 7 yr olds on Jewel and have jr suite. I know Disney has very high up locks on balcony door but wonder how secure the Jewel's balcony doors are from children's prying hands? We watch the children in the day, of course, but are concerned if kids wake up before us. Please advise. Thanks!

I know some ships have a higher lock but I don't remember seeing one on our balcony door when we were just on the Jewel. The doors are really difficult to open though so I would suspect the kids would make enough noise trying to get the door open that it would wake you up.

Even a JS, if the kids start messing with the door, you WILL hear it, and be 2 steps away...no worry! The child locks are HARD to operate, even for me! You will never be more than a few steps away from the door....

And think about it...do your kids routinely go out of your house on their own? They won't on a ship, either.

Regardless of height the doors are not necessarily easy to open as the doors are heavy. The first operation is to turn the handle that lowers the wheels on the bottom of the door, then pull the door open. As I said the doors are heavy and require considerably more effort that your doors at home.

Besides the regular sliding door lock...there is an additional "child lock" near the top of the slider...most people don't notice it but I happen to know the RCI ships we've sailed on have all had them.

Hey sell little stick up plastic alarms if you are really concerned. We used them at home when the grandchildren were small. In any event, the 7 year old is certainly old enough to be told never to open either the balcony or the cabin door without a parent being with them.

I would also be more concerned about them opening the cabin door and getting in the corridor. Doors close automatically and they all look alike. If you are concerned about early risers make sure you use the double lock/deadbolt on the cabin door.

I 100% agree with this!

We were just on the Jewel a few weeks ago. The balcony door is heavy and the handle is up fairly high, plus there is a child lock in the middle of the two doors. I wasn't worried about the balcony door.

My 2.5 year old was able to open the door from our room that leads in to the hall. THAT was scary. I didn't sleep well all week for fear that he'd wake up at night and open the door to go exploring! The "double" lock was within reach of my son who is only 34" tall and he knew how to turn it! We had to make it very clear that he was NOT allowed to open the door unless mommy or daddy was with him.

If you look at the following photo, you can see a dark spot on the right hand side of the balcony door frame. That is the height of the door handle.

IMG_3157_zpsfuy6q92a.jpg

Edited by smileyperry