What do you think about a "Drink Card"?

Steelers36

I just had an idea when responding to a post on a Roll Call.

I marvel in a way at folks who can buy the AIBP and it's a bargain for them. In no way would either my wife or I have $49 of spending for drinks and other things included in AIBP per day.

But, what if Princess had a drink card - much like the coffee card - that one could purchase X number of drinks for a flat price and then you get a punch every time you order a drink (same rule - anything under $10)?

I would buy such a thing and if I didn't use all the punches, bring to the next cruise.

Maybe the drink card could also give free regular coffees for the first cruise it is purchased on.

Fabulous idea for those of us who may only want one drink before dinner. We are not the types to hang out in the cocktail lounge trying to use up our minimum. With a drink card I would then be tempted to buy a good bottle of wine to carry over a couple of dinners.

Like you, my wife and I will never pay for the AIBP - it's too much money and we don't really need to drink that much. I tend to drink more than I should on a cruise anyway!

The "coffee card" style approach sounds pretty good to me but I don't see Princess ever implementing it. Having a card would allow one to still take advantage of the BOGO in the afternoon and evening by simply ordering and not presenting the card.

Like you, my wife and I will never pay for the AIBP - it's too much money and we don't really need to drink that much. I tend to drink more than I should on a cruise anyway!

The "coffee card" style approach sounds pretty good to me but I don't see Princess ever implementing it. Having a card would allow one to still take advantage of the BOGO in the afternoon and evening by simply ordering and not presenting the card.

Maybe not, but we might not have expected them to implement a coffee card either.

I did email the suggestion in and Customer Relations wrote back already to say they were passing it on to Food & Beverage Dept. Maybe if enough customers ask, they might consider it.

Agree, model after the coffee card, and include the unlimited brewed coffee, tea and maybe even unlimited fountain sodas. 15 punches at around $100. Another benefit would be the punches could be shared for those who don't indulge too much.

We were gifted two 10 punch drink cards on HAL a few years back. The problem was that the cards were only good for the high sugar, high calorie, stomach upsetting tropical drinks. We had a few, but gave the cards to a friend that went on the same ship a few weeks after we did. If I had to purchase such a card I would not.

Agree, model after the coffee card, and include the unlimited brewed coffee, tea and maybe even unlimited fountain sodas. 15 punches at around $100. Another benefit would be the punches could be shared for those who don't indulge too much.

We were gifted two 10 punch drink cards on HAL a few years back. The problem was that the cards were only good for the high sugar, high calorie, stomach upsetting tropical drinks. We had a few, but gave the cards to a friend that went on the same ship a few weeks after we did. If I had to purchase such a card I would not.

I know you were only tossing out round numbers, but $6.67 per drink does not really represent a significant savings unless the premium call brands that run $9-10 are included. That's the real issue: finding a price point mutually acceptable to those who prefer shots, those who prefer highballs, and those who prefer foo-foo frozen drinks. Make it too cheap and the list of exclusions will be longer than inclusions, which as you found out doesn't really work. HAL also used to have a punch card for 20 glasses of house wine for $50. Didn't last as my understanding was the list was too limited (and the pours thimble-sized). Also HAL and some other lines have a "discount" soda card (that does save as much as 50%) rather than an "unlimited" one. Not as popular as unlimited ones as the concept of "all you can drink" will always trump that of "big savings but losta lotsa rules"

How bizarre. I prefer strait scotch or bourbon. If I had a mixed drink it would more likely be a mojito, bloody mary, or maybe Pernod and OJ. Limiting the card to the super fruity, tropical drinks is a difficult policy to understand.

Excellent concept. I doubt Princess would do this as the whole idea of the AIP is to make money. There should be a discount for longer cruises ;), as some people won't be able to drink constantly for more than a week.

Here's another thought: for say $18/day (so $21.60/day with gratuity) you get three drinks per day, any drink up to $10 value. Must buy for entire cruise, must use three each day--no rollover. No complicating the program adding brewed coffee or bottled water. For me this would represent enough potential savings to mitigate the risk of forgetting to order all three one day.

Here's another thought: for say $18/day (so $21.60/day with gratuity) you get three drinks per day, any drink up to $10 value. Must buy for entire cruise, must use three each day--no rollover. No complicating the program adding brewed coffee or bottled water. For me this would represent enough potential savings to mitigate the risk of forgetting to order all three one day.

I don't like that one unless it was offered as a card. The sticker approach negates the value of the BOGO. I like being able to get a double bourbon or double scotch or even two beers for only a dollar extra. I don't want my double at the BOGO to use up two of my 3 drinks for the day.

We are not the types to hang out in the cocktail lounge trying to use up our minimum.

There should be a discount for longer cruises ;), as some people won't be able to drink constantly for more than a week.

What interesting assumptions :rolleyes:

I find the AIBP to be a good value because it includes not only wine, beer and cocktails but also specialty coffee & teas, fresh squeezed orange juice, bottled water, and soda. That hardly means that I'll be hanging out in the cocktail lounge all day or drinking alcohol constantly. Wow.

Steelers36, I do think that you have a good idea and I'm glad that you shared it with Princess. It certainly could be a better option for some.

OK that's another good point we all missed:

Add more and cheaper drink package options and the BOGO hours will likely be gone.

There's no question that the BOGO is a better deal than any package, assuming of course one is happy confining their thirst to 3PM-4PM and 11PM-Midnite. And BOGO does seem to be pushing sales: on Ruby last year Wheelhouse was a zoo every afternoon, and Skywalker's was the busiest I have ever seen it after 11 other than my one peak summer vacation time cruise.

I don't like that one unless it was offered as a card. The sticker approach negates the value of the BOGO. I like being able to get a double bourbon or double scotch or even two beers for only a dollar extra. I don't want my double at the BOGO to use up two of my 3 drinks for the day.

Agree - needs to be a punch card as I suggested. For this very reason.