First Class Lounges/facilities American Airlines

Bruin Steve

We are flying to our cruise in March First Class on American--LAX to FLL via Charlotte each way.

This will be the first time in 30 years we have gone First Class on American.

When we've traveled First or Business class on Lufthansa, we've availed ourselves of the comfortable First Class Lufthansa airport lounge at LAX while waiting for our plane.

Question: What does AA have that we are eligible for at LAX, Charlotte and FLL? Food? Drink? Etc.?

Thanks...

AA's lounges are called Admirals Clubs, and in general they don't have a First Club and a Business Club - just one club. In a couple of places they do have a Flagship Lounge, which serves as a First Class lounge, but this is the exception and not the rule (Flagship Lounges are only at JFK, LHR, ORD and LAX).

But, AA does not grant lounge access for itineraries fully within the United States, no matter what class you are in, unless you are on the following routes: JFK-LAX-JFK, JFK-SFO-JFK, or LAX-MIA-LAX.

So, unfortunately, you will not have any lounge access unless you purchase a one-day pass for $50 per person.

AA's lounges are called Admirals Clubs, and in general they don't have a First Club and a Business Club - just one club. In a couple of places they do have a Flagship Lounge, which serves as a First Class lounge, but this is the exception and not the rule (Flagship Lounges are only at JFK, LHR, ORD and LAX).

But, AA does not grant lounge access for itineraries fully within the United States, no matter what class you are in, unless you are on the following routes: JFK-LAX-JFK, JFK-SFO-JFK, or LAX-MIA-LAX.

So, unfortunately, you will not have any lounge access unless you purchase a one-day pass for $50 per person.

Thanks, Zach...

Yeah, that sort of sucks...With the inflated cost of a First Class ticket for what is, basically, just a little wider seat, you'd think they'd give you SOMETHING!

Since our post cruise flight out of FLL doesn't leave until 7:00 pm and we may be spending some time in the airport, I figured that maybe it's even worth it to buy one-day passes...then I looked it up and found they don't even have a lounge at FLL...

Well, I guess we have to be happy with a slightly wider seat and free food...they do give us that still, right?

Thanks, Zach...

Yeah, that sort of sucks...With the inflated cost of a First Class ticket for what is, basically, just a little wider seat, you'd think they'd give you SOMETHING!

Since our post cruise flight out of FLL doesn't leave until 7:00 pm and we may be spending some time in the airport, I figured that maybe it's even worth it to buy one-day passes...then I looked it up and found they don't even have a lounge at FLL...

Well, I guess we have to be happy with a slightly wider seat and free food...they do give us that still, right?

Buying the one day pass for your trip back is probably a waste, but perhaps for your trip there, where you can visit lounges at LAX and CLT, might be worth it. Depends how long your layover at CLT is. I wouldn't buy one just for one airport...to justify $50, I would need to be able to use it at least twice. But that's just me.

Yes, they still give free food and drink in First.

We are flying business on BA from ABQ to DFW to LHR to STO. It will really be AA out of DFW but booked with BA.

Will we be able to use any lounges?

You will have access to the Admirals Club at DFW. The Terminal D Admirals Club @ DFW does get busy, but is nice. There is really no food unless you purchase, but they have free cheap alcohol, and will give you one or two tickets for "premium" alcohol when you enter. The BA lounge offers better options, but they tend to restrict that only to people who are actually flying BA.

At LHR, you will have access to the BA Galleries lounges - two in T5A, and one in T5B. Assuming STO = Stockholm (which is actually ARN), your flight will almost certainly leave from T5A, where as I mentioned there are two Galleries lounges - North and South. They both get very, very busy in the morning, but are nonetheless a nice break with food and drink, free WiFi, and showers if you need one. I prefer the North lounge as it has better views of the runway, but both offer the same stuff, and both will be quite busy in the morning.

Edited by Zach1213

We are flying business on BA from ABQ to DFW to LHR to STO. It will really be AA out of DFW but booked with BA.

Will we be able to use any lounges?

ABQ - no lounge available

DFW - Yes, to the BA lounge and any of the other oneworld lounges including the Admirals Clubs

LHR - Yes, to the Galleries Club lounges

STO - Not sure which airport this is (maybe ARN for Stockholm? :confused: ) but no access upon arrival.

ABQ - no lounge available

DFW - Yes, to the BA lounge and any of the other oneworld lounges including the Admirals Clubs

LHR - Yes, to the Galleries Club lounges

STO - Not sure which airport this is (maybe ARN for Stockholm? :confused: ) but no access upon arrival.

Flying in May 2016 AA First/Business from LAX- SJU via DFW outbound and SJU-LAX via MIA on the return..what will we have an option of....if at all? Thanks so much for your knowledge and help, first time we've used AA

Flying in May 2016 AA First/Business from LAX- SJU via DFW outbound and SJU-LAX via MIA on the return..what will we have an option of....if at all? Thanks so much for your knowledge and help, first time we've used AA

I've never had a situation like yours, but I imagine the only chance you'd get with a lounge is at MIA on the return. You don't normally get lounge access with domestic itineraries, except for three routes...one of which is LAX-MIA-LAX

BruinSteve,

The AA Admirals Club at Los Angeles gets you a place to sit while you wait for the flight. Food for free is minimal. Could be apples and goldfish and/or pretzels. You do get complimentary house wine, beer and spirits. You can purchase food.

No lounge in Fort Lauderdale.

There is one in Charlotte.

Keith

BruinSteve,

The AA Admirals Club at Los Angeles gets you a place to sit while you wait for the flight. Food for free is minimal. Could be apples and goldfish and/or pretzels. You do get complimentary house wine, beer and spirits. You can purchase food.

No lounge in Fort Lauderdale.

Keith

So a domestic flight passenger "can" use the lounge at LAX...I'm flying from LAX-SJU via DFW :confused:

A few months ago I flew BA out of an airport in Texas where there was the Admirals Club. It's funny that for AA customers no free food but for a customer flying BA, BA picks up the tab and you can get whatever food you want.

BA do run a pretty comprehensive selection of lounges across the world and they are of a pretty decent standard for the most part.

They have self pour Johnnie Walker Blue Label in quite a few of their lounges, for example, and proper dining facilities where you can get a three course of meal of decent quality.

There are two ACs in CLT; one in the B Concourse another nearer the main security checkpoint between C and D. The latter is much larger.

So a domestic flight passenger "can" use the lounge at LAX...I'm flying from LAX-SJU via DFW :confused:

Some domestic passengers can, but you cannot. If you've experienced an involuntary reschedule you can chance your arm at moving to LAX-MIA-SJU which will get you access to an AC at LAX.

Edited by fbgd

If you are flying First Class domestically, or are an Admirals Club Member, or have the perk with say a Credit Card or pay the fee you can use the lounge.

If you are flying American Airlines first calls you can use any of their lounges in airports they have them.

Keith

BA do run a pretty comprehensive selection of lounges across the world and they are of a pretty decent standard for the most part.

They have self pour Johnnie Walker Blue Label in quite a few of their lounges, for example, and proper dining facilities where you can get a three course of meal of decent quality.

Yes, BA has nice lounges which we have used.

This is another area where USA based airlines in the USA just do the basics as they seem to do in the air. As they say, it's not what it used to be.

I am just thankful that I did the vast majority of my business travel when it was actually nice to fly.

Keith

If you are flying First Class domestically, or are an Admirals Club Member, or have the perk with say a Credit Card or pay the fee you can use the lounge.

If you are flying American Airlines first calls you can use any of their lounges in airports they have them.

Keith

Looks like I'm out of luck...flying a combo of First/Business LAX-SJU via DFW and SJU-LAX via MIA...Oh well, will still enjoy the flight and where we're headed for our B2B 40th anniversary....Thanks for the response.

I am terribly sorry. I think I am brain dead. Over the years I have either used Admirals Club membership for Access or have used a Credit Card that provides access and for those who do not had either I was thinking of First Class as providing access to the Admirals Club since I know you get access on the International flights. So, I am wrong about domestic. I wish I can blame my stupidity on the terrible rain we are experiencing right now in Texas.

Anyway, I thought it would be easier to copy and past information from the sources mouth (American Airlines Wed Site) about access to the club.

Keith

Club Access

Q: I am traveling in the First Class cabin. Do I get complimentary access to the Admirals Club lounge?

A:

Yes and no. Customers in First# or Business Class traveling to or from Europe, Asia, South America, Central America and Mexico City only, have lounge access. All other international* destinations are excluded from the benefit of lounge access. Passengers eligible for access must provide their government-issued ID and a First or Business Class ticket or boarding pass valid for departure on the same-day or before 6:00 a.m. the following day. Stopovers are not permitted.

Customers who meet the following criteria when traveling on an American Airlines marketed and operated three-class nonstop transcontinental flight also have access for the following:

First Class traveling on nonstop, three-class transcontinental flight

First Class traveling nonstop on two-class transcontinental flight

Business Class traveling on nonstop, three-class transcontinental flight

Eligible three-class nonstop transcontinental flights are between the following cities:

Los Angeles and Miami

New York (JFK) and San Francisco

New York (JFK) and Los Angeles

Passengers eligible for access must provide their government-issued ID and a ticket or boarding pass valid for departure on the same-day.

#International First Class passengers may also use the Flagship Lounge®, where available.

*International is defined as Europe, Asia, Central and South America and Mexico City.

Looks like I'm out of luck...flying a combo of First/Business LAX-SJU via DFW and SJU-LAX via MIA...Oh well, will still enjoy the flight and where we're headed for our B2B 40th anniversary....Thanks for the response.
It will depend on the plane on which you're flying between LAX and MIA. If it's a 3-class A321 or Boeing 777, and you have a ticket issued in F, A or Z fare class, then you ought to get lounge access. Here are the domestic flights that allow lounge access:
Eligible three-class nonstop transcontinental flights are between the following cities:

• Los Angeles and Miami
  • New York (JFK) and San Francisco
  • New York (JFK) and Los Angeles

Go to the Admirals Club or Flagship Lounge at LAX and show them your boarding pass and see. Worst case they say no.

Note that AA doesn't offer first class on Caribbean routes, they simply rename the forward cabin as business for those flights. If you get lounge access at all, it will hinge on the specifics of your LAX-MIA-LAX flights. You probably will get access at SJU for the return flight IF the MIA-LAX flight qualifies according to the above.

What if you have first class traveling to New Zealand and the person traveling with you does not. Can that person come into the lounge with you? Thanks

Errr, which airline? what route? what frequent flyer status do the travellers have?

I am terribly sorry. I think I am brain dead. Over the years I have either used Admirals Club membership for Access or have used a Credit Card that provides access and for those who do not had either I was thinking of First Class as providing access to the Admirals Club since I know you get access on the International flights. So, I am wrong about domestic. I wish I can blame my stupidity on the terrible rain we are experiencing right now in Texas.

Anyway, I thought it would be easier to copy and past information from the sources mouth (American Airlines Wed Site) about access to the club.

Keith

Club Access

Q: I am traveling in the First Class cabin. Do I get complimentary access to the Admirals Club lounge?

A:

Yes and no. Customers in First# or Business Class traveling to or from Europe, Asia, South America, Central America and Mexico City only, have lounge access. All other international* destinations are excluded from the benefit of lounge access. Passengers eligible for access must provide their government-issued ID and a First or Business Class ticket or boarding pass valid for departure on the same-day or before 6:00 a.m. the following day. Stopovers are not permitted.

Customers who meet the following criteria when traveling on an American Airlines marketed and operated three-class nonstop transcontinental flight also have access for the following:

First Class traveling on nonstop, three-class transcontinental flight

First Class traveling nonstop on two-class transcontinental flight

Business Class traveling on nonstop, three-class transcontinental flight

Los Angeles and Miami

New York (JFK) and San Francisco

New York (JFK) and Los Angeles

Passengers eligible for access must provide their government-issued ID and a ticket or boarding pass valid for departure on the same-day.

#International First Class passengers may also use the Flagship Lounge®, where available.

*International is defined as Europe, Asia, Central and South America and Mexico City.

Sorry I'm having a hard time understanding all of this.....and I will blame it on the severe drought we're having here on the west coast..."Dry Brain Syndrome" :eek::D....Send Rain our way :D

Sorry I'm having a hard time understanding all of this.....and I will blame it on the severe drought we're having here on the west coast..."Dry Brain Syndrome" :eek::D....Send Rain our way :D

AA makes it very difficult.

For the great majority of transcontinental (coast to coast) flights, even passengers flying on paid first class tickets don't get lounge access. The exceptions to this rule are passengers flying in first class on three routes, and three only, those being SFO-JFK, LAX-JFK, or LAX-MIA. BUT, you only get access on those flights if the plane has three classes of travel, namely first, business, and economy. Most of AA's flights between LAX and MIA use two-class 737s, 757s and 767s, and maybe an Airbus A320 now and then. As of now, one flight daily uses a 3-class 777, so if you're in first class on THAT flight you'd have lounge access. And depending on the mood of the lounge attendants, you might get access if your flight is on one of the other aircraft types, but it would be a maybe thing. The rules are a little vague on that.

In addition it might depend on the specific fare category of your ticket. AA has several first class fare types, ranging from "full fare" first class (booked into category F) to first class awards, "Z," to other fares such as "A" (upgraded from a lower class) or "P" (a discount category.) Access will hinge on that fare too, with some fares (such as the upgrades) not having access when a full fare passenger would.

The easiest way to proceed is simply to march up to the lounge, show your boarding pass, and ask if you're eligible for admittance. If they say "yes," then fine, and if "no," don't feel too put upon, because the lounges aren't anything all that special anyway.

If you get a "yes" at LAX on your outbound flight, you should get a "yes" at all the other lounges en route, both MIA in transit and at SJU on the return. If it's "no," then you've saved time and steps. Stick it to 'em by having an extra drink or two in flight.

Edited by Gardyloo

AA makes it very difficult.

For the great majority of transcontinental (coast to coast) flights, even passengers flying on paid first class tickets don't get lounge access. The exceptions to this rule are passengers flying in first class on three routes, and three only, those being SFO-JFK, LAX-JFK, or LAX-MIA. BUT, you only get access on those flights if the plane has three classes of travel, namely first, business, and economy. Most of AA's flights between LAX and MIA use two-class 737s, 757s and 767s, and maybe an Airbus A320 now and then. As of now, one flight daily uses a 3-class 777, so if you're in first class on THAT flight you'd have lounge access. And depending on the mood of the lounge attendants, you might get access if your flight is on one of the other aircraft types, but it would be a maybe thing. The rules are a little vague on that.

In addition it might depend on the specific fare category of your ticket. AA has several first class fare types, ranging from "full fare" first class (booked into category F) to first class awards, "Z," to other fares such as "A" (upgraded from a lower class) or "P" (a discount category.) Access will hinge on that fare too, with some fares (such as the upgrades) not having access when a full fare passenger would.

The easiest way to proceed is simply to march up to the lounge, show your boarding pass, and ask if you're eligible for admittance. If they say "yes," then fine, and if "no," don't feel too put upon, because the lounges aren't anything all that special anyway.

If you get a "yes" at LAX on your outbound flight, you should get a "yes" at all the other lounges en route, both MIA in transit and at SJU on the return. If it's "no," then you've saved time and steps. Stick it to 'em by having an extra drink or two in flight.

Thanks so much for your information, thoughts and the time you took to explain all of this. Much appreciated as always.