Help - booking jade

hlb76

We (well me) are very close to pulling the trigger on booking the Jade for Winter cruise. I'm very nervous as I have never booked NCL nor have sailed from Texas so I have a ton of questions.

First impressions of Jade? Be honest with me I want the good bad and ugly. I'm off to read more reviews once I post this.

Booking a room. We are normally just fine with an inside cabin. We would rather be our enjoying the ship vs sitting in out room. Any hidden treasures as far as rooms go? I know Carnival has a few so guessing NCL does as well.

Whats a family inside vs a regular inside? We are 3 sharing a room so if it gives an advantage I'd love to know. From what I see on the website its more about room location vs amenities in the room. Maybe I am wrong

Think we are going to choose the UBP for our Free Choice. We dont normally do ship tours, no need for wi-fi, being new I want to try the comp dining before I need to venture to the specialty. I'm assuming its like CCL limit on how much you can spend per drink to be free and a limit on how many you get a day? Any other insight i need on the Free Choice

Looks like Houston has 2 airports finding airfare into both places. If one airport easier to navigate than the other?

Suggestions for hotel or transportation to and from? I'm off to search those boards as well.

Also what would be a "safe" time to think about booking flight out of Houston? I'm not sure how far away the airport is or how debarkation works.

Anything else you can provide to help a newbie cruiser make this a wonderful first experience?

Edited by hlb76

We (well me) are very close to pulling the trigger on booking the Jade for Winter cruise. I'm very nervous as I have never booked NCL nor have sailed from Texas so I have a ton of questions.

First impressions of Jade? Be honest with me I want the good bad and ugly. I'm off to read more reviews once I post this.

Booking a room. We are normally just fine with an inside cabin. We would rather be our enjoying the ship vs sitting in out room. Any hidden treasures as far as rooms go? I know Carnival has a few so guessing NCL does as well.

Whats a family inside vs a regular inside? We are 3 sharing a room so if it gives an advantage I'd love to know. From what I see on the website its more about room location vs amenities in the room. Maybe I am wrong

Think we are going to choose the UBP for our Free Choice. We dont normally do ship tours, no need for wi-fi, being new I want to try the comp dining before I need to venture to the specialty. I'm assuming its like CCL limit on how much you can spend per drink to be free and a limit on how many you get a day? Any other insight i need on the Free Choice

Looks like Houston has 2 airports finding airfare into both places. If one airport easier to navigate than the other?

Suggestions for hotel or transportation to and from? I'm off to search those boards as well.

Also what would be a "safe" time to think about booking flight out of Houston? I'm not sure how far away the airport is or how debarkation works.

Anything else you can provide to help a newbie cruiser make this a wonderful first experience?

This will be our first time on the Jade, so no tips for that. I understand that id it is like the other Jewel class ships (Jewel, Pearl, Gem) which we have enjoyed, each with it's own charms.

A Family Inside is located near the family venues. I don't know of anything special about these, as it's always just my DH and I.

The UBP is a great way to try different drinks without the guilty feelings I would have if I pushed any aside with dislike. It seems that almost all alcoholic beverages will be covered, as some are reporting that the price limit is now $15 per drink. Do understand that specialty coffees, bottled water, and fresh squeezed fruit juices are NOT included.

The closest airport is Hobby (HOU), which is approximately 20+/- minutes.

Intercontinental (IAH) is about 40 miles away, can take quite a bit of travel time (depending on traffic) and is more expensive to travel from via taxi or shuttle.

Too many hotels to say what will work for you. So, here are some links...

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/

and http://www.hotels-rates.com/hotels/locations/Houston/TX/usa/6938/

As for transportation, check into the link above.

Just off the Jade today and would have no hesitation in booking again. UBP gets you all drinks up to $15 which is basically 99% of the bar menu from what I could see. The insides are just fine. We were on deck 4 and loved it - v quiet and always easy to get the elevator and also handy as this was the deck we disembarked from at most ports. I don't think there is any difference between regular and family inside.

Edited by cclarke12

I cruised out of Bayport Houston on the jewel in April. It was really simple. I flew into hobby that first flight of the day the morning of the cruise and got there bright and early. However, I was flying from Dallas on Southwest and that was one consideration that made it so simple.

I enjoyed the cruise very much, so much that I booked the Jade out of Houston for 2017. Because of the redeployment by NCL I have switched that to the Jade out of Tampa.

The Jewel class ships are nice.. Just the right size in my opinion.

I am bummed that NCL is leaving Texas.

Disembarkation usually begins about an hour after ship arrives in port.

The main concern might be when the ship can manage arrival at the port... usually because of fog delays. It has not happened to us on two previous cruises. However, it is somewhat common! Therefore, because of potential delays due to fog, and because Houston area traffic can be quite heavy (slow), you might want to consider a flight after 2 pm, or even later.

Thanks everyone. I was having a hard time finding big reviews on Jade. I did not realize she is not stateside right now. Geez I have so much to learn. Thanks for all other advice. I have lots of research to do yet. I found a 135 flight out of IAH I would love to book. But now I'm nervous. I almost forgot about the fog issues. We are looking at booking mid March so not sure if that time of year makes a difference. Anyone with experience of fog delays?? How is that handled by the cruiseline? Do they offer any assistance for rebooking flights?

Hello!

I will also be on the jade but in February.

Why are you considering IAH instead of Hobby (just curious) and are you planning on arriving there that same day or a day before?

Since i'm leaving out of NYC i will be heading out a day earlier just in case there's any crazy weather.

Before i booked this cruise i was debating whether i wanted the Jade out of TX or the Dawn out of NO and really wanted to leave out of New Orleans (since i can't find nothing interesting to do in TX for those 2 extra days ill be there) but i have found far more positive reviews about the jade so that's what i went with.

Can't wait!!!!!

Thanks everyone. I was having a hard time finding big reviews on Jade. I did not realize she is not stateside right now. Geez I have so much to learn. Thanks for all other advice. I have lots of research to do yet. I found a 135 flight out of IAH I would love to book. But now I'm nervous. I almost forgot about the fog issues. We are looking at booking mid March so not sure if that time of year makes a difference. Anyone with experience of fog delays?? How is that handled by the cruiseline? Do they offer any assistance for rebooking flights?

Unfortunately, the variables (ANYTIME in Houston area) for fog delays make planning the perfect dates nearly impossible.

Because the cruise lines don't control weather, you can not expect them to offer any help with delay issues.

My best advice is to plan conservatively for delays and rejoice IF you "have to" wait around at the airport for your flight, instead of scrambling madly about trying to "fix" what went wrong otherwise!

Planning can be nerve-wracking and costly, so I wish you the very best!

Hello!

I will also be on the jade but in February.

Why are you considering IAH instead of Hobby (just curious) and are you planning on arriving there that same day or a day before?

Since i'm leaving out of NYC i will be heading out a day earlier just in case there's any crazy weather.

Before i booked this cruise i was debating whether i wanted the Jade out of TX or the Dawn out of NO and really wanted to leave out of New Orleans (since i can't find nothing interesting to do in TX for those 2 extra days ill be there) but i have found far more positive reviews about the jade so that's what i went with.

Can't wait!!!!!

I found some great airfare into IAH vs what I found into Hobby. I personally dont care where I fly into its all the same to me. I do care about budget and flying into Hobby might change the budget and send me back to the drawing boards on what to do. :eek: Coming in from MN we will fly in a day early too. Mostly likely the evening before as its a Friday and we are trying to eliminate as much extra time for the kid to be out of school.

BTW you have to make it to NOLA some day. Its my favorite! We have sailed out of there 3 times and just got back from a 4 day land vacation. I leave a bit of my heart there every time we go.

Unfortunately, the variables (ANYTIME in Houston area) for fog delays make planning the perfect dates nearly impossible.

Because the cruise lines don't control weather, you can not expect them to offer any help with delay issues.

My best advice is to plan conservatively for delays and rejoice IF you "have to" wait around at the airport for your flight, instead of scrambling madly about trying to "fix" what went wrong otherwise!

Planning can be nerve-wracking and costly, so I wish you the very best!

Nothing is ever guaranteed that is for sure. Luckily in 11 sailings we have only have few issues. Missed one port and and had to dock elsewhere due to weather. We almost missed a flight once due to a horrible debark once as well. Even having a 330 flight and the airport being less than 30 miles away we had to RUN to make it on time. So I do try to plan conservatively but it also helps when you know the lay of the land and this is all new to me :)

Thanks for the well wishes it is hard to plan and when you get limited time and are on a limited budget you really want to take full advantage of all you are given. Off to do more research!!

The Jewel ships are nice with our favorite being the Pearl so we could not wait to book the Jade.

Hotel info:

Best Western Plus Seabrook Suites offers free shuttle to the ship for embarkation. We have stayed in Best Western before and this worked out well along with the free breakfast. They do not do airport pickup.

Well i did it we are all booked with the Dining and the drink package. They also have my 3rd passenger free but to me that was a joke as it was the same price yesterday paying for my son and getting a choice. Well actually its more today as I had to ad the taxes for our dinner package.

now to get my flights booked. Really wanted to do a 135 departure from IAH but everyone has scared me into pushing it back so found some 330 flights for about $300 more :mad: but guess its better than scrambling the day we depart looking to rebook flights. Hoping the extra 2 hours is enough.

Once that is booked we are off to find hotel and excursions.

Which ship are you sailing on ? Which cruise line?

Port of Houston Authority is not a name of the cruise terminal or port. It is the government or organization which oversees and regulates things around the port.

There are 2 cruise ports in this area.

Galveston cruise terminal and Bayport cruise terminal

Norwegian jade.

Well i did it we are all booked with the Dining and the drink package. They also have my 3rd passenger free but to me that was a joke as it was the same price yesterday paying for my son and getting a choice. Well actually its more today as I had to ad the taxes for our dinner package.

now to get my flights booked. Really wanted to do a 135 departure from IAH but everyone has scared me into pushing it back so found some 330 flights for about $300 more :mad: but guess its better than scrambling the day we depart looking to rebook flights. Hoping the extra 2 hours is enough.

Once that is booked we are off to find hotel and excursions.

Did you check southwest Airlines? That's what I'm using, seems to be the cheapest going to Houston.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes I did check SW. They are my go to but there cheap seats airfare is all sold out which moves me to the next pricing tier and that being said Delta and United into IAH are cheaper. I keep checking but dont want to hold out too long and loose what I found. Also Delta and United have non stop which is worth a little extra in my book.

Now that I'm all booked I'd love to hear your experiences with the dining package. where is good to eat..lol I was just reading what restaurants are on the Jade and looks like I have some good choices. I see they have a sushi place I'd love that but the hubby not so much well not at all. Do they do al la cart and would my package cover it? Geez so much to learn

The main difference that I have noticed between family insides and regular insides (besides location near the kids club) is that the family insides have the bunks that lower from the wall. If you have the beds pushed together, the person with the bunk on his or her side can bump a shoulder or head on the bunk. It doesn't stick out that much, but enough to bump on especially in the dark. To me it's always better to get the insides that hold only two so there is no bunk taking up head/shoulder room.

Edited by drvalo

I want to try Cagneys for sure. Hope the hubby feels the same. He is not a big steak guys. He rather a burger or hot dog. I'm going to try to look around for different menus so I can start buttering him up. :)

We were on the Jade last December - loved her and would sail again on her in a heartbeat.

We managed to get a last minute upgrade and so because we ended up in a suite we could dine in Cagney's at lunch - we didn't go there in the evening but the truffle fries are to die for.

The one speciality restaurant we did cough up for was the Teppenyaki and that was one of the most fun (and delicious) meals I've had anywhere, never mind on a cruise ship.

It's a good ship, and I'm sure you'll have a good time no matter where you eat. We've got the unlimited dining on our cruise on the Star next May and are looking forward to using it for the first time as well.