Pompeii AND Amalfi coast question

lightsleeper

Have one port day...Port is Salerno..

Would like to see both Pompeii and the Amalfi coast.

Is this too much to view in one day...would we be rushed at each location...should we just pick one or the other?

Asking those who have been there done that..

thanks in advance for your replies

Then it will be very easy. There are several tour operators highly recommended by CC members, just browse through some recent postings and you'll come up with at least 3 - 5 you can contact for quotes.

By car from the port at Salerno to Pompei is about 45 minutes, barring any unusual traffic. You'd likely come back the same way to get to Amalfi but you might ask your driver to consider using one of the mountain pass roads if that's of interest to you.

Yes, I used Joe banana limos the first time I went with a private tour which was fantastic. Now I get on the roll call and share with others 8 passenger van tours. My favorites are through italytoursharing.com but there are others mentioned on here as well.

You can't go wrong with recommendations from fellow travellers. I've learned a ton on this board alone. Decide exactly what you want to see, then contact the tour company.

I would go with one or the other and really not try to do both in the same day. Could you?

Yes but trying to do too much can really detract from the experience.

We have also used Joe Banana Limos and thought they were great but we have used other operators in other areas in Italy and have enjoyed them all.

https://www.joebananalimos.net

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
We did a ship tour that included a cruise up the Amalfi Coast from Salerno to Amalfi and a couple of hours in Amalfi. Then in the afternoon went to Pompeii.

Did you enjoy that tour?? I have done the private tours before but my travelling companion was interested in this tour through the cruiseline.

I disagree with those who say pick one and just do it. Especially if it is your first visit to the area.

We normally dock in Naples and have done Pompeii and the Amalfi coast with a private tour company 4 times out of the 5 visits we have been to Naples (1 visit we did not do a tour - I had a bad cold so we stayed in Naples and went to the museum)

It is very doable. Is your time limited in each village - a bit. But for your first visit its nice to experience all 3 (Ravello, Amalfi and Positano) as they are each very different !!! We usually take the ferry back from Sorrento to Naples afterwards and it was cheap and easy too !!!!

A good tour company will be able to help you plan your time and make sure you get back to the ship on time…… we always use APTours. Awesome company.

Whatever you do - you will love this area. It is stunningly beautiful :)

Edited by texancruzer

I disagree with those who say pick one and just do it. Especially if it is your first visit to the area.

We normally dock in Naples and have done Pompeii and the Amalfi coast with a private tour company 4 times out of the 5 visits we have been to Naples (1 visit we did not do a tour - I had a bad cold so we stayed in Naples and went to the museum)

Next time you need to go to Capri. :D (I promise you can shop there, and it's got a mix of great scenery, ruins, even good restaurants....!)

Next time you need to go to Capri. :D (I promise you can shop there, and it's got a mix of great scenery, ruins, even good restaurants....!)

Yeah, we were going to DIY to Capri the trip I got sick……. everyone on the ship was coughing and sneezing so, of course, I would get it :( I was in a Nyquil haze so we decided to skip the ferry ride to Capri and stay in Naples instead. We headed to the museum and had some yummy pizza and then I went back to the ship for a nap :eek: It really was the smart thing to do.

I WILL get there someday - but not our next trip as we don't go to Naples area.

Just came back, and although it was a long day, we did a private tour at Pompei, then went to Sorrento, Positano and down the coast. Even stopped at a place where they were pressing olive oil...First pressing. it was wonderful...but it was long and there was lots of walking...maybe 7-10 miles...