Notifying Passengers of Flight Cancellations

harryw

There was discussion on another thread of notifying passengers of port time changed vis-a-vis

whether O or the TA should directly notify passengers of time-in-port changes. This led me to wonder as to which party notifies passengers when a flight booked by O is cancelled.

I'm also interested because once an O booked flight of mine was cancelled, but no one notified me. Luckily I discovered this right before leaving for the airport when check flight status online. (After calling the airline, I discovered I was already re-booked by someone for a later flight on a different airline at the same airport.)

Harry

I would recommend confirming your flight details and creating alerts directly regarding changes or cancellations. Better not to put your trust in a bird party unless it is a travel agent looking out for you. By the time you hear from O it may be late to find out what to do next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we were leaving Rio in December 2013 AA cancelled several of its flights heading for Texas. Passengers on board were notified and the staff was trying to rebook. As I recall many people were dealing with the problem at the airport but they WERE notified early that morning.

It's probably different in the case of departing flights which would seem to be much more complicated than getting people home from one ship.

Mura

I would recommend confirming your flight details and creating alerts directly regarding changes or cancellations. Better not to put your trust in a bird party unless it is a travel agent looking out for you. By the time you hear from O it may be late to find out what to do next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto

Perhaps the day will come when a cruise line will send email alerts to passengers regarding flight cancellations or time-in-port changes (do any?) without fear of antagonizing the travel agent sector.

Harry

Perhaps the day will come when a cruise line will send email alerts to passengers regarding flight cancellations or time-in-port changes (do any?) without fear of antagonizing the travel agent sector.

Harry

It's one of those Catch 22 scenario's, Harry, many here will tell you to insist on getting a commission rebate from the Travel Agent, but at those (discounted) prices, the majority are simply not going to receive sterling customer service.

I'll grant you that for the few who are high ticket, or high volume enough (or just plane pushy enough) to get the Service AND the Rebates, the rebate system works, but for the rest of us, a hard working TA who earns every penny of that commission (by monitoring such variables as flights and port changes) is key.

It occurred to me that some passengers may not be computer adept enough to set up email flight status notifications from the airline. (I know some that can't handle online specialty restaurant reservations or cruise registration.)

Harry

Our last cruise on Riviera ended in Rome and Oceania had us booked on a Lufthansa flight to Frankfort with a connection to the States. I had checked the fight status earlier in the day and everything was good. Later that evening just after we had put our luggage outside our cabin for collection we had a knock on our cabin door and an Oceania staff member handed me an envelope with our "new" air arrangements as Lufthansa had cancelled the flight that I had confirmed earlier in the day. So at least in this instance Oceania did notify us of our flight cancellation and also provided us with alternative flights home.

Even with rebates and great service from a TA imo it is foolish to rely on anyone else to know the status of your flights.

I agree 100% but for an outward bound flight, where the passenger might need time to make "new" arrangements after a cancellation or rescheduled flight, a good TA might be in a position to notify the passenger who has not yet considered confirming flights that reorganization is in order.

One of the reasons that Travel Agents exist is that there are a multitude of details which ALL need an increasing level of attention as the sailing date approaches.

Life is complicated.

Our last cruise on Riviera ended in Rome and Oceania had us booked on a Lufthansa flight to Frankfort with a connection to the States. I had checked the fight status earlier in the day and everything was good. Later that evening just after we had put our luggage outside our cabin for collection we had a knock on our cabin door and an Oceania staff member handed me an envelope with our "new" air arrangements as Lufthansa had cancelled the flight that I had confirmed earlier in the day. So at least in this instance Oceania did notify us of our flight cancellation and also provided us with alternative flights home.

Last year on Marina hundreds of passengers were notified late evening of numerous schedule changes due to a last minute announced strike on Lufthansa. It was one of the wildcat strikes that lasts one day. Many passengers were affected, as there is a lot of code sharing and connections. Oceania amazingly rebooked affected passengers, at least they handed them new itineraries. Whether they got home in a timely manner is anyone guess as there was airport mayhem everywhere.

We had independent air and luckily got out of Europe, albeit late.

Regardless of who books our air we check flights the day before a couple times a day.