New NCL Menus...

sid_9169

Oh no, they're still calling it "Escargot Cassoulet" :eek:

Its the americanized word version of the same thing - snails slowed cooked casserole-style. [emoji9]

Otherwise, I'm liking the new menus - it's less items, that's true; but good multiple interesting choices every night. It's going to be hard for me to figure out when to go to specialty restaurants for dinner.[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Its the americanized word version of the same thing - snails slowed cooked casserole-style.
I'm guessing that they mean cassolette. Sure, it's almost the same word, but it's like mixing up "hash browns" and "hash brownies". Close enough, right? And elsewhere on the menu, they do use the word correctly ("Tarbais Bean Cassoulet").

NCL's menus are full of foreign language terms because people see words they don't understand and they conclude it must be fine dining. They have obviously put some effort into getting things right ("crème brûlée", "ragù", "tiramisù", most people would not have bothered with all those accents), so it's a shame they haven't corrected this escargot thing.

While it doesnt look terrible at first glance and it will be interesting to try out

Just realize that all or at least most of the names they have pulled out of thin air for these new dishes just hide the fact that you are definitely going to get less food and cheaper food

Creamed mozzarella? Really

Ok so they now take a minuscule piece of mozzarella and blend it with more milk so they can pour it over chopped tomatoes?

Really I prefer a real slice of mozzarella and a nice slice of beefsteak tomato with oil drizzled over it but by doing it the new way they can feed 4 people with the nice slice of mozzarella and thick slice of tomato that I prefer all to myself. lol

Presentation will look nice I'm sure and the vast majority of cruisers will be impressed...me probably too....

But please don't kid yourself....it's just cheaper food...less food prepared in a way to stretch it ....and reuse it the next day

Enjoy it but please it's not fine dining. It's just dressing up cheap food in a way to fool you.

Sorry but true but it will impress the novices

Looks ok, I noticed they did away with the everyday available steak but the chef's special was a form of beef every night but one.

Still disappointed prime rib is only if you pay extra. Maybe they will still have a smaller cut in O'sheens one night.

I just realized "Steak Frites" means "steak and fries". So "some form of steak" will be available. I guess it sounds more upscale if you say fries in French. Or maybe it's a shorter way of saying "French Fries"

Edited by Gregor4500

I'm guessing that they mean cassolette. Sure, it's almost the same word, but it's like mixing up "hash browns" and "hash brownies". Close enough, right? And elsewhere on the menu, they do use the word correctly ("Tarbais Bean Cassoulet").

NCL's menus are full of foreign language terms because people see words they don't understand and they conclude it must be fine dining. They have obviously put some effort into getting things right ("crème brûlée", "ragù", "tiramisù", most people would not have bothered with all those accents), so it's a shame they haven't corrected this escargot thing.

Could had been worst confusing American pants with English/British pants - same spelling, different meaning. Or same word and meaning but different spelling like color and colour.

Regarding NCL Menu - the meals themselves are from different parts of the world and some are just Americanized for easy spelling and/or understanding especially to an mostly American audience sailing from the Americas. I wouldn't take completely to heart, considering who most of the intend audience is, especially when it's in standard American English.

I don't know if that particular item was already on the previous menu, but a more charitable way to look at it is that they are trying to offer a different take on the traditional caprese.

Heirloom Tomato Carpaccio

Sicilian Tomato Tartare | Cream of Fresh Mozzarella

Basil-infused Olive Oil

They need to make up their mind between carpaccio (thin slices) and tartare (chopped up fresh tomatoes). I assume that both of these things are easy to understand for American English speakers, but which is it?

I have no idea what they mean by "cream of mozzarella". I tend to have the same reaction as luvtheships, it does not sound appetizing, but who knows?

Would you happen to have a link to the new menu's on the Jade or Jewel class ships? I have been searching long and hard for a print out of their menus such as the ones in the link you provided! I would like to use them to determine which nights to eat in the MDR and which nights to use our UDP.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me!

i just realized "steak frites" means "steak and fries". So "some form of steak" will be available. I guess it sounds more upscale if you say fries in french

You nailed it !!! :d:d:d

Edited by jaja

Cream of mozzarella = Burrata

Google for the win! [emoji14]

Edit - Carpaccio (thinly sliced) and tartare (thinly minced /grounded up) are exactly what they are - just fancy worded differently for American audience.Some will know exactly what those terms means and rest will think that sounds good to eat or not.[emoji5]

Edited by maywell

Would you happen to have a link to the new menu's on the Jade or Jewel class ships? I have been searching long and hard for a print out of their menus such as the ones in the link you provided! I would like to use them to determine which nights to eat in the MDR and which nights to use our UDP.
I don't know if they always start over with menu #1 on Day 1 of each cruise, or if they continue wherever they are in the rotation. And for various other reasons, I think there is always a chance that they will mix things up when you finally get on board, so it's hard to plan ahead to this level of detail.

If I were you, with the UDP, I would go ahead and make specialty reservations for every evening. On embarkation day you can ask to see the MDR menus for the whole cruise and make adjustments or cancel reservations as necessary.

Could be, or it could be something else. Elsewhere on the menu they have "Cream of Grana Padano", what does Google tell you about that?*

*Rhetorical question, we have Google here, too.

Cheese soup/chowder/puree made out of Grand Padano cheese. Remember, who the bulk of NCL customers are - Americans (US and Canada), where some are foodies and others are not. And for those who are not foodies, it has to be worded differently to be appealing to them aka have to be fancied up or dumbed down.

Edited by maywell

Am I missing something, but what happened to the choice of Garden Spring Mix or Ceasar Salad under the "starters"? Looks like the French Onion soup is gone too.

Those are my go-to appetizers if nothing else looks good.

:confused:

Cesear Salad is now everyday main dish/entree under "Classics". The other 2, is like once or 2 a trip, from the looks of the menus.

Thanks again Gambee!

Interesting how differently we all read things.

We've never sailed NCL and many of us are foodies, so I've been worried from some of the things I've read.

I was pleasantly surprised by these menus. To me it read as a fairly decent variety of foods with a modern twist of several dishes.

I know some people really dislike change and I can see how this may displease them.

If these dishes are well executed with good ingredients, I will be a happy cruiser.

Food prices are rising so quickly. North Americans spend a far smaller percentage of their income on food than the rest of the world and I think this can cause real problems when trying to satisfy the masses. It would be amazing if prices could drop as quality rises, but ...

These look pretty good, I'm just a little sad that they have taken lasagne off the everyday menu. There are items that my kids will eat on all of these menus without having to resort to kids menus, but they will all eat lasagne anytime and I never make it at home so I was looking forward to them being able to fill up on it while we were on vacation.