How is tipping handled?

tinybiny

Since you have different servers all the time, how is tipping handled? Do people pay each meal or does the cruise figure what your tips should be and auto charge you?

I'm used to DCL, where we getting tip envelopes at the end of the cruise. There is an auto charge for tips, but we can add money if we want to. Do you tip your stateroom host or is that auto charged to your account?

Since you have different servers all the time, how is tipping handled? Do people pay each meal or does the cruise figure what your tips should be and auto charge you?

I'm used to DCL, where we getting tip envelopes at the end of the cruise. There is an auto charge for tips, but we can add money if we want to. Do you tip your stateroom host or is that auto charged to your account?

NCL assesses a service charge that is distributed to the traditonally tipped/tipped out staff. The amount is $13.50 per day per person for non-Suite guests. If you do not pre-pay the charges before the cruise they will be assessed each day. Should the service you receive not meet your expectations the charges may be adjusted but now NCL requires you to obtain a form from guest services to fill out and submit after the cruise is over. Gratuities of 18% are automatically applied to bar service and spa services.

Edited by sparks1093

It's completely automated via DSC for complimentary and 18% for specialty restaurants /drinks not include in the fare. You can tip additional if you want via cash or signing it on the receipt, but it's not necessary.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I was recently on the Breakaway & the service charges for my suite were $15.50 per day per person. I believe the regular rate is $13.50

But every time we cruise we treat the wait staff the same as we do on land. We tip in cash for our meals & drinks. We've always had very pleasant people waiting on us & the money we leave them is always welcome.

I'm not saying this is required, it's just what we do. The service charge to your on board account each day covers tips.

But if you are in a Suite, your Butler & Concierge are not covered under your daily service charge & should be tipped separately.

I was recently on the Breakaway & the service charges for my suite were $15.50 per day per person. I believe the regular rate is $13.50

But every time we cruise we treat the wait staff the same as we do on land. We tip in cash for our meals & drinks. We've always had very pleasant people waiting on us & the money we leave them is always welcome.

I'm not saying this is required, it's just what we do. The service charge to your on board account each day covers tips.

But if you are in a Suite, your Butler & Concierge are not covered under your daily service charge & should be tipped separately.

We do exactly the same. We prepay our DSC and bring extra cash for exceptional service. Everywhere we went we leave cash tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never cruised NCL, Ill be booking my first one.

Coming over from Carnival and Im used to the way they do it there.... when I book Carnival, I prepay all my gratuities and they add that into the cost of the cruise. Does NCL do the same or can I expect after I pay the cruise off to have another charge when boarding for tips?

Never cruised NCL, Ill be booking my first one.

Coming over from Carnival and Im used to the way they do it there.... when I book Carnival, I prepay all my gratuities and they add that into the cost of the cruise. Does NCL do the same or can I expect after I pay the cruise off to have another charge when boarding for tips?

You may pre-pay your service charges prior to boarding either before or after final payment.

Just like most lines the DSC covers tips for everyone. There is an additional tip added to your bar bill and the specialty dining room. Otherwise, any extra tip you want to give is at your descretion. We usually tip or cabin steward the last night as we did many years ago, before DCS.

Do you think cash is preferred? With all the people whining about bartenders I can't help but feel like a small tip would go a long way. I was planning on charging to room, but cash is an easy option also.

I also tipped my waiters in specialty restaurants, similar to onshore, if they went above and beyond. For example, the waiter in Moderno would always get my nephews favorite dessert from Cagneys or in OSheehans they would get my nephew ice cream for free since he has a nut allergy and can't eat it from the buffets (they usually charge a la carte). We also tipped our steward as nephew had a couple overnight accidents [emoji54] she quickly addressed the following morning.

Edited by txagfan

Regarding the spa - do they do a hard sales pitch for expensive products?

It demends, I have had them push, push, push and other times they do not even attempt sell you anything. The last time I had a mini facial the gal was down right insulting; telling me how horrible my skin was, how I could look 10 years younger in just a few days and I should care how my skin looks more than she thought I did. The interesting thing, no one ever believes I am as old as I am. Maybe she thought I was 60 and looked closer to 70, instead of being closer to 80 and looking 70? Needless to say, she and I did not become budding friends.

Regarding the spa - do they do a hard sales pitch for expensive products?

Sure. That's their job. Sell product. I would expect nothing less than to get a sales pitch (and probably 2-3 retries to sell product). I politely listen, and decline the offer.

Heck, I get a sales pitch when I go to get my hair cut. I politely listen, and decline the offer.

Heck, when I go to McDonalds, I get the upsell pitch to add an apple pie to my order.

Nothing to get upset about, these folks are just doing their jobs. Let them do their jobs. And if you don't need the products, just decline the offer,,,, don't get nasty.

Sure. That's their job. Sell product. I would expect nothing less than to get a sales pitch (and probably 2-3 retries to sell product). I politely listen, and decline the offer.

Heck, I get a sales pitch when I go to get my hair cut. I politely listen, and decline the offer.

Heck, when I go to McDonalds, I get the upsell pitch to add an apple pie to my order.

Nothing to get upset about, these folks are just doing their jobs. Let them do their jobs. And if you don't need the products, just decline the offer,,,, don't get nasty.

I have written on the intake form "no sales" for years, and have never had an issue. I am there to relax. I am paying to relax. The last thing I want to hear is a sales pitch. Luckily for them, my wishes have been respected.