Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

Absolutely! I thought I heard him yell something along the lines of "it's your fault I'm out here".

I heard that too but cannot make out what he said right after. It's "it's your fault because I stepped..."

Absolutely terrifying. The news is saying there was a fight.

Absolutely! I thought I heard him yell something along the lines of "it's your fault I'm out here".

To be clear I think the person yelling is on the ship. I don't think the audio would be that clear if it was the person on the life boat.

He also says "you murdered him"

Edited by AdrenalineRush

Thanks for the clarification.

I have to ask, and please pardon my ignorance. If you do in fact, go overboard, and know how to sufficiently swim, how hard is it to manage the currents from the ship, and the waves? Would the azipods pose any risk of pulling someone in as the ship passes? I've never understood how they lose track of the people that have gone overboard. I see that he appeared to be injured, from the blood. Maybe that contributed to the fact that he couldn't keep himself afloat?

Again, please pardon my ignorance, but I figured there are people here that are much more experienced than myself, and may have some insight.

I have to ask, and please pardon my ignorance. If you do in fact, go overboard, and know how to sufficiently swim, how hard is it to manage the currents from the ship, and the waves? Would the azipods pose any risk of pulling someone in as the ship passes? I've never understood how they lose track of the people that have gone overboard. I see that he appeared to be injured, from the blood. Maybe that contributed to the fact that he couldn't keep himself afloat?

Again, please pardon my ignorance, but I figured there are people here that are much more experienced than myself, and may have some insight.

Ships this big create a serious draw or undertow that pulls people under the water. Also, getting hit by any part of the hull, even going at a slower speed, can be deadly. This is really horrible.

Edited by jahannah

Wow, thanks for the insight on that.

I see someone above mentioned it, but why didn't they slow the ship when they realized what was happening? Or even stop for that matter. I feel like that would have reduced the chance of injury from the passenger striking the ship or being pulled under once in the water.

Suction into the propellers is not as much a threat as Hollywood makes it out to be. Yes, there is some chance, but it is far greater with ships that are very light in ballast (no cargo) so the propeller is closer to the surface.

Dropping into the water from a height is like hitting a concrete wall if not done at just the right entry, just ask an Olympic tower diver. This can cause injury and hurt the ability to swim. Even water as warm as the Caribbean can cause loss of dexterity (ability to swim) within an hour, and death from hypothermia within 3 hours, depending on health and clothing.

How do they lose track of someone in the water? Think of looking for something smaller than a basketball (the head, the only part above water), covered probably in dark hair, in a dark sea. Now throw in waves, so that the head is only visible at times. The ship cannot stop on a dime, nor can it turn on a dime when going at full speed at sea. If they tried to do that, everyone onboard would be thrown to the deck, and many would be injured. You also cannot launch a rescue boat while underway, so the ship needs to get back to the site of the overboard from maybe a mile or more away, and stop, and in that time the person has drifted with the seas, at an unknown rate. On another thread about the overboards earlier this year, one CC'er who is/was a USCG officer stated that even with their trained personnel, and a safety orange dummy, they have a hard time in anything but flat calm in locating the person during drills, and sometimes have to return to base without the dummy, to the chagrin of the crew.

Since the video is only a minute or so long, and not knowing how long prior to the video's start the bridge was notified that there was a man dangling over the side, its hard to say how fast the ship is going, but generally if notified of an instance like this, the ship would be slowing. Even stopping the propellers would still have the ship travel nearly a mile before slowing enough to turn.