Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

Why didn't they stop the ship before he fell/jumped? Clearly the crew was aware of the situation because you can see the spotlights come on before he falls. Why didn't the captain idle the motors until he was safely off the lifeboat?

Are you sure that they didn't? A ship of that size doesn't stop on a dime, so the forward motion of the ship that you can see in the video isn't necessarily indicative of the ship continuing to move forward under power.

Why didn't they stop the ship before he fell/jumped? Clearly the crew was aware of the situation because you can see the spotlights come on before he falls. Why didn't the captain idle the motors until he was safely off the lifeboat? Royal really needs to look at their procedures when responding to this type of situation. Had the ship been stopped when he fell, he likely would have been easily found alive and saved.

It can take many minutes, and even covering miles of distance to stop a ship. They don't slow or stop like a car.

Why didn't they stop the ship before he fell/jumped? Clearly the crew was aware of the situation because you can see the spotlights come on before he falls. Why didn't the captain idle the motors until he was safely off the lifeboat?

As I've previously stated, the video is only a minute or so long, and we don't know how long prior to the start of the video that the bridge was notified. Ships don't have brakes, so even "idling the motors" would not stop the ship in a minute, and if you look at post #80, someone onboard stated that the ship was already slowing when the man overboard announcement was made. Even a crash stop, which would have injured countless passengers and crew, would take 5 minutes and the better part of a mile. With the guy hanging from the davit, a crash stop or violent turn could very well have shaken him off sooner.

Really, while many are saying that this video is good in that it shows what really happened, I think it will do more harm than good, as this is showing a very short interval, at only one location onboard, of what really happened. Without the bridge voice recorder, and the bridge data recorder, which would have been "frozen" and then downloaded for future investigation, no one here on CC or even those CC members onboard the ship really know everything that went on during this incident.

This is true, though the person fell from the lifeboat, so he was pretty far away from the ship's hull.......

Actually, no, he did not fall from the lifeboat. The Captain held a talk today and we were there (and the video confirms). The passenger fell onto, and then from, a metal bracket that holds the lifeboat, not the lifeboat itself. This is very close to the side of the ship. I went and looked at it.

As for stopping, they slowed the ship as soon as the man went down onto the bracket, and slowed again almost to stop and began a turn to port when he went overboard. They also electronically marked the exact point at which he went overboard, then spent seven hours circling that point, calculating drift, and searching. All to no avail.

It was choppy, very dark, and started raining, all of which make it a difficult search.

Actually, no, he did not fall from the lifeboat. The Captain held a talk today and we were there (and the video confirms). The passenger fell onto, and then from, a metal bracket that holds the lifeboat, not the lifeboat itself. This is very close to the side of the ship. I went and looked at it.

As for stopping, they slowed the ship as soon as the man went down onto the bracket, and slowed again almost to stop and began a turn to port when he went overboard. They also electronically marked the exact point at which he went overboard, then spent seven hours circling that point, calculating drift, and searching. All to no avail.

It was choppy, very dark, and started raining, all of which make it a difficult search.

Thank you for the update

Reader

Didn't I hear part of the exchange as being "because of you". And the "don't touch me" which was clearly heard, but we don't know who said it. Since RCI put out the statement that he intentionally went overboard, I'm sure they have video from the cameras on the side of the ship showing exactly what preceded the part we saw on the video that's been posted. I don't ever buy into someone just "fell" as it's not really possible. People do dumb, impetuous things, but since no one knows this guy's history or what preceded it, we don't know why he did it. Yes, it's terrible for the family. And, the reality is, most people who go overboard are never found. Falling 50 feet can and will knock you unconscious and/or break bones. The few that have been found alive, are very, very fortunate.

However, that is exactly what I would expect RCI to put out as an official statement. To say he accidently fell or that he was pushed would open up plenty of legal maneuvering.

Why didn't they stop the ship before he fell/jumped? Clearly the crew was aware of the situation because you can see the spotlights come on before he falls. Why didn't the captain idle the motors until he was safely off the lifeboat? Royal really needs to look at their procedures when responding to this type of situation. Had the ship been stopped when he fell, he likely would have been easily found alive and saved.

Johnny_b( Mr Spook) is upstairs napping ATM but when he wakes I am sure he can describe in all sorts of technical official Navy Jargon why this is overly simplistic and naive to just 'stop' the ship and 'idle the motors'

Agreed' date=' it is amazing the attitude and lack of concern for fellow human beings.

There was even I person worrying if the vessel didn't start heading for FL soon people would miss there flights!.

Now did that really need to be posted here/// where the family an friends could read it??

Shame on them!

AKK[/quote']

Prayers go out to the man and his family.

Now for my question. Was Oasis due into port this morning?? If so, how long will Royal stay out there and help with the search knowing that 1000's of people will probably miss flights?? I know that nots fair to the man being searched for, but how long do you wait?? Hard call to make.

WOW, sorry if I asked a simple question and sound like i had "lack of concern"

My understanding of these boards is to be able to ask questions about cruising. I feel sorry for the man and his family and offered my prayers.

Sorry I didn't realize that the Oasis didnt come into port till tomorrow. It was just an simple question. How long do they search?? Someone answered me in a reply that they coast guard makes that decision. I thank that person for that info. I would never care about missing a flight (even for 5000 people) if it meant one life could be saved. Again, it was just a question. How long do they search.

So easy for people on this board to hide behind their computers and say "amazing the attitude and lack of concern for fellow human beings.

Going to asked another question. And hopefully it doesn't come across insensitive.

How long does it take for the crews and emergency people to get to the man? Is this something that happens within a couple minutes?? I would like to think so.

no way to answer that. far too many variables involved. again i will ask Johnny_b when he wakes up to discuss Man overboard protocol. he just got back from a deployment so his memory was recently refreshed

How do you know this was not being done:rolleyes:. Again, the ship does not have brakes. You don't have a clue how long it takes to slow down/stop a large ship do you?

Yes, I do understand how long it takes to slow a ship. I understand they don't have brakes. I know they cannot reverse the props at that speed.

Clearly, in the video, the ship is still traveling at a good clip. As others have pointed out here, according to the captain, they slowed down a bit, but did not attempt to stop or idle the engines until after he fell. It was pretty clear that he was ready to fall at any moment.

I'm just saying that this needs to be reviewed, and safety procedures updated if necessary so this doesn't happen again.

Going to asked another question. And hopefully it doesn't come across insensitive.

How long does it take for the crews and emergency people to get to the man? Is this something that happens within a couple minutes?? I would like to think so.

Even looking at the long video- at the start of what we saw, it was pretty clear that there were crew members trying to get to the man- I can't see passengers getting to the area above the life boats like that.

One can logically speculate that this situation had been going on for a while.

Not that it answers your question.

Yes, I do understand how long it takes to slow a ship. I understand they don't have brakes. I know they cannot reverse the props at that speed.

Clearly, in the video, the ship is still traveling at a good clip. As others have pointed out here, according to the captain, they slowed down a bit, but did not attempt to stop or idle the engines until after he fell. It was pretty clear that he was ready to fall at any moment.

I'm just saying that this needs to be reviewed, and safety procedures updated if necessary so this doesn't happen again.

As pointed out in other posts- had they brought the ship to a stop too fast, the person would have been thrown off his position. Much like how passengers and crew would have been thrown forward if they quickly idled the engines.

I don't think they would have wanted to throw him off via the ship stopping.

You don't have a clue what needs to be reviewed nor what was happening on the bridge. You think this is rci's first rodeo with a jumper. The drama in this thread is over the top, but it is CC after all:rolleyes:

Edited by setsail

Does anyone know how long it takes Oasis class ships to stop at full speed? I was looking and couldn't find it but I do know that is part of sea trials before the ship is delivered.

From the start of the video that was posted until it cuts off, it is very clear - from a visual perspective - that the ship didn't change speed/slow down.

Edited by jfs9900

You don't have a clue what needs to be reviewed nor what was happening on the bridge. You think this is rci's first rodeo with a jumper. The drama in this thread is over the top, but it is CC after all:rolleyes:

You are right on with this post.... every word of it.

WOW, sorry if I asked a simple question and sound like i had "lack of concern"

My understanding of these boards is to be able to ask questions about cruising. I feel sorry for the man and his family and offered my prayers.

Sorry I didn't realize that the Oasis didnt come into port till tomorrow. It was just an simple question. How long do they search?? Someone answered me in a reply that they coast guard makes that decision. I thank that person for that info. I would never care about missing a flight (even for 5000 people) if it meant one life could be saved. Again, it was just a question. How long do they search.

So easy for people on this board to hide behind their computers and say "amazing the attitude and lack of concern for fellow human beings.

I understood your question and didn't think that you were being insensitive at all.

The man who fell/jumped from Oasis floated for 5 hours until being spotted by someone on the Majic. He is alive, but injured.

It does help to check dates on a story before reporting it. Completely different event than the current one.

And, people jump all the time. We'll get more of this story, but we don't know if he was alone, if he was with one other person or a group, what they witnessed, etc. The majority of people either jump or are drunk and do something stupid. It's very difficult to push someone overboard. You have to be able to lift them high enough that they will tumble over the railing. A shove/push would just mean the person hits the railing. It's not the movies.

Edited by BND