Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

What an awful situation. Prayers for the man and his family and for those who were trying to rescue him. Honestly I'm rather glad there is the video out there, because I think it stops at least some of the ridiculous speculation and it also showed how many people were trying to help this man.

I agree with you. It gives some (but, obviously not all) answersto what is going on. I don't find the video to be that objectionable. It's not gory. The woman recording was actually yelling that he was still there in the water and to throw a life vest/ring to him. He was still alive and close to the ship.

Prayers go out to the man and his family.

Now for my question. Was Oasis due into port this morning?? If so, how long will Royal stay out there and help with the search knowing that 1000's of people will probably miss flights?? I know that nots fair to the man being searched for, but how long do you wait?? Hard call to make.

Now for my question. Was Oasis due into port this morning?? If so, how long will Royal stay out there and help with the search knowing that 1000's of people will probably miss flights?? I know that nots fair to the man being searched for, but how long do you wait?? Hard call to make.

We're aboard. We are due in port tomorrow morning. I don't know how much of the 7 hours they can make up, but we're clipping along at 16 knots right now and increasing, so might be able to get into Ft. Lauderdale pretty close to scheduled time.

From the height involved, neither of these are safe assumptions.

Even diving off a 3-meter (10 ft) springboard can cause an experienced diver to be disoriented if (s)he doesn't enter the water cleanly; not hitting the water cleanly from a 10-meter (35 ft) tower can cause disorientation in a competition-level diver.

As an experienced Underway Officer of the Deck on Navy destroyers, I can vouch for the comments that it is VERY hard, even in ideal circumstances, to locate and maneuver to recover a person that has fallen overboard - even if that "person" is the bright orange dummy we use for these drills.

I completely agree that it is "VERY hard..." and was not implying that any of those assumptions could be used in this situation. My response was to AndyT3's question... "If you do in fact, go overboard, and know how to sufficiently swim, how hard is it to manage the currents from the ship, and the waves? Would the azipods pose any risk of pulling someone in as the ship passes?"

From what little I watched of the video I doubt seriously any of those assumptions could have been reached.

She has to be back tomorrow in FLL

That's not the Captain's or RCI's call to make. Since this was so close to the Bahamas, and the US, and a previous poster onboard said that the USCG was on scene, it is now the on-scene commander's decision. If he/she feels that the ship can continue to contribute to the search, the ship will stay. If not, then the ship will be released. The USCG could care less about inconveniencing passengers' travel plans, and the economic impact on RCI is not their concern.

I'm not sure what the person who posted it on YouTube was thinking, if at all.:confused: If I was that individual I might have watched to see a rescue. I doubt I would have filmed it, and if I did I never would have posted it to YouTube. My immediate though would be to delete it, but I would have saved it for ship security as well as shore side investigators.

Thats the MOST disturbing video EVER

If you haven't clicked onto the video DON'T ... It is sad, heartbreaking and yes, disturbing... The person who posted it to YouTube should take it down.... it's not necessary for all to see this...

And to those asking "why didn't the ship stop?" I'm pretty sure the Captain was notified and is working on slowing down the ship, but ships don't just STOP.... It's not that simple...

Anyways, I hope and pray that they find this man and this will be a happy ending ...

Here's the ABC report minutes ago -- note the highlighted part:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/search-ongoing-man-overboard-cruise-ship/story?id=35014601

The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for a missing man who went overboard on a Royal Caribbean Cruises ship early this morning.

The incident happened on the Oasis of the Seas ship while it was about 80 nautical miles off the coast of the Bahamas, the Coast Guard said.

Royal Caribbean said the 35-year-old man jumped from the seventh deck of the ship onto a life raft below and then fell into the water, according to the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard has deployed one helicopter from the Bahamas and a plane from Clearwater, Florida, to assist in the search.

The Oasis of the Seas also has two boats out searching.

"On Friday November 6, while Oasis of the Seas was at sea, 17 miles east of Turks and Caicos Islands, a 35 year old male guest from Brazil went overboard. He was spotted by Oasis of the Seas crew members intentionally going over the side of the ship,” Royal Caribbean Cruises said in a statement.

“A Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched and is currently assisting us with the search. Our Care Team is providing support to the guest’s family and our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult time."

I just saw that news article, and since this was an official RCI release, there must be several witnesses or video confirming this.

For those who have watched the video, I would seriously discount any audio heard. It's very difficult to determine who is saying what, and if alcohol was involved, when combined with adrenaline and possible injuries in striking the lifeboat davit, quite a lot of disorientation on the part of the person would be expected.

Regardless of what happened the most disturbing thing here is the Cruise Critic keeps this video up. The mans face is clearly in view and as much as you hope they find him this is a potential loss of life. How would you feel if this was your son? How would you feel if this was your family member and see all the comments on this thread? The video is not serving any purpose on this site.

There is no reason to see the mans face, struggle to hold on or anything else.. This easily could have been a post rather than a video.."man goes overboard on Oasis" is really all that needs to be said. Having this video up is asinine.

Edited by CaribSailor

Regardless of what happened the most disturbing thing here is the Cruise Critic keeps this video up. The mans face is clearly in view and as much as you hope they find him this is a potential loss of life. How would you feel if this was your son? How would you feel if this was your family member and see all the comments on this thread? The video is not serving any purpose on this site.

There is no reason to see the mans face, struggle to hold on or anything else.. This easily could have been a post rather than a video.."man goes overboard on Oasis" is really all that needs to be said. Having this video up is asinine.

Why did you watch it?

I think You tube took the video off

Yes, the video is gone. Either the person who posted it took it down or Youtube did, probably Youtube as it was probably too graphic. I just saw this thread and clicked on the link it's no longer "available".

I am currently aboard Oasis of the Seas. We are now underway to FLL @ 22.6 knts. No update from Captain yet so everybody on the ship is in the dark. I only know what has happened from Twitter and other Internet sources.

I respectfully disagree.

The person who took the video chose to post it to a public Internet site (YouTube), and therefore it's in the public domain. That site will remove the video if it is considered inappropriate.

I suspect those involved in the search and investigation will greatly appreciate that they have a video account of some of the actions that took place.

As tragic as this is...if it were my family member, I'd be grateful knowing/seeing at least some of what happened. rather than rumors or 3rd hand accounts - even if was a self-inflicted event.

Clearly this is sad for many people, as it should be. If it gets 1 person (or more) in the future to avoid making this kind of dangerous wrong decision on a cruise ship, then perhaps the video actually will serve a positive purpose.

Excuse me. The video is not on cruise critic. It is a LINK to the YouTube video. I'm not sure if you were meaning to take me to task for posting the link to the video, but it certainly sounds that way.

So often in cases like this there is so much speculation both on the part of the viewer and by the media as well. If there's video evidence that can clear up some of that speculation, I think that's helpful. None of us can say how this man's family must be feeling or would react to this thread unless they come here and tell us, but I'd imagine there's a possibility that they would be glad to see that RCI was trying to help him and that there are people out there in the world who are praying for his safe recovery.

Yes, the video is gone. Either the person who posted it took it down or Youtube did, probably Youtube as it was probably too graphic. I just saw this thread and clicked on the link it's no longer "available".

...and for those concerned about the video itself...there you have it.

You do realize this place isn't monitored 24/7 right? I'm sure it will be pulled soon but no one is forcing anyone to watch it

I find it disturbing the video was posted on You tube to begin with. I hope it gets taken down before family members see it, although I guess it's possible a family member posted it:eek: which would be even more disturbing, IMO.

Sherri:)

By choice I opened this thread to read about the story due to the header...

"Oasis of the Seas person over board"

And yes I am overwhelmed and sad for all involved.

And yes by choice I tried to click on the You tube video that was closed, no one made me do it.....I was curious.....but, now it is what it is closed.

For me I was curious human nature I guess.

Prayers to the family.

Just saw the video a few minutes ago.

For me, this tragic event reinforces just what is most important in life.

I myself am guilty on occasion about complaining about slow drink service, food decline etc. its a big part of what CC has become. But at it's heart, for me, cruising is about creating happy memories with those I love....a chance to escape the grind, be spoiled, and spend quality time together.

This highlights for me to never take a moment for granted, and to focus on what is really important on those few weeks a year I get to spend with loved ones. Not the food, the room, or which drink package I should choose.

Irrespective of how or why this happened, I have to believe his family boarded this ship like most of us do, excited and happy....never anticipating a tragedy such as this would ever occur. Prayers for their miracle.

Edited by WineDown17