Mariner of the Seas From Singapore 10/22/15- Complete Picture Review!

gapearl

When I made it back, I walked 10 minutes to Bangla Road to check out the nightlife. The road was full of bars, restaurants, shops, clubs, and dozens of ladies (or lady boys, who knows) of the night. A friend of mine asked when I checked in on Facebook if I went to see a ping pong show. After Googling what these popular shows are, I've come to the conclusion that there are some very traumatized goldfish and rodents in this country. I didn't see a show, but apparently you have to see it to believe it. Do your own search if you're brave. If you're really brave, youtube. Don't say I didn't warn you. :eek:

61737a1c-fd3b-4a7e-8fb4-dbc33274745c_zps5gsfch6e.jpg

78907093-63a3-458f-b4a9-876c641eb542_zpsba4uivaw.jpg

Street food.

e445dfe3-0905-4836-9e48-20b03f1b0ed2_zpsynexcvvj.jpg

e91bcb9d-5931-49a7-bfdd-e73be192d53f_zpsxupea8io.jpg

Stop here if you want to engage in some Hangover 2 shenanigans.

3fb46b25-1b72-4acd-9a46-4e4fe253844e_zpsftsyvorl.jpg

I walked down the main strip and it was PACKED for a Monday night. Honestly I wasn't feeling it because it was just too crowded.

833efb1c-d0de-4462-93c6-e56bfbdf3940_zpsqhwyuug7.jpg

b5e5e0e8-7cf8-4dd5-b0ec-4b10cd19bcdb_zpsc2w0jwgr.jpg

Be careful here at the Tiger Bar. A friend of mine had to learn the hard way that if you ring the bell, you have to buy a shot for everyone at the bar. Needless to say, don''t ring the bell.

18a407b3-7abb-40d6-807d-f3115b07783e_zpsje9ug71u.jpg

I went into that club across the street and walked right back out less than 2 minutes later. It was so LOUD in there.

18f12cfa-e53c-4df9-ad11-2daca9708424_zpsd60w3elc.jpg

I found a little haven at this restaurant and ordered an appetizer here as an escape from the craziness on the street. I tried to order a drink, but it was some kind of a religious holiday and no restaurants were allowed to serve alcohol until midnight the next night. All of the bars closed early because of this. The people in the bars I saw when I passed through earlier ordered their drinks before midnight. You know you're getting old when you have no desire to go to a club and would rather sit and people watch. haha

f1fd9b5a-a3fb-4bb9-8b88-583a36d904e1_zpsf2jzkehi.jpg

So many people!

c68ab34d-45e0-4ef5-affe-ef974ae4e7c8_zpsva4gf9sa.jpg

Bangla Road is a loud, commercial area. Check it out for yourself if you ever find yourself here. Once is absolutely enough for me though. It started to rain again so I took a tuk tuk taxi back to the Holiday Inn at 1 am.

Cruise Day 6- Phuket, Thailand Continued

I was up early at 8 am, ready for another day in beautiful Thailand. I took a shower and went down to breakfast at 9:45 am.

My room at the Holiday Inn Express.

febb89e3-16c8-40a1-9d12-ae3c69594f37_zpsylmmghd3.jpg

First thing on the agenda for today was getting a Thai massage. There are massage places everywhere and they're very cheap. A 200 baht Thai massage equaled a whole $6. I got one of these in LA last year with a friend so I knew what to expect, but be advised that this is not a regular, relaxing massage. It's a cross between a deep tissue massage, yoga, and a chiropractor visit. You will get COMPLETELY stretched out, walked on and everything. Thai massage is not for everyone. I keep a lot of tension in my neck and back because of my job, so this plus the other two massages I had over the trip had me feeling very good.

ae6b748b-d3c5-4652-af2c-816790d2aa7c_zpslwc6mwum.jpg

10adab86-4aa8-427b-9f23-6592802958c4_zpszr3dqmvh.jpg

ea4290ac-f81e-435b-9d75-78b0b728471e_zpsaxzf5c2j.jpg

78919f7a-cc86-4357-bb9b-f061a3774096_zpsmsr4d1bf.jpg

12e5f2fa-835a-4a61-bf48-921d4b55fd97_zpstci3azqe.jpg

Around Phuket.

27d8cd42-6146-4e5e-b827-0c5a110eedcf_zps4mzepshz.jpg

62fe24d9-7060-4a2d-a0b1-6e08bb24e30d_zps4gqncnvy.jpg

There were fresh fruit stands everywhere.

872380d7-0761-4a62-8334-87032b840cbf_zpswqp9teju.jpg

b62fd968-62c0-408b-91eb-5cbc7094cda1_zpswpqrthb3.jpg

There was a menu of fruits where you could create your own smoothie.

21bd1dba-96f4-4de4-9cb8-79212661ffdc_zpstp54rxnd.jpg

I skipped my regular strawberry banana and went for a dragon fruit and passion fruit smoothie for 70 baht. Check out that color!

a034d687-7d82-42fc-8fd7-8880a84a06b5_zpskpnkajzh.jpg

I stayed at the beach until 2:30 pm. It was time to find some food and head back to the ship. After being recruited by a restaurant host with a menu, I went to Mother's Restaurant. It's a typical family owned hole in the wall. My waitress said her mom was in the kitchen doing all the cooking, hence the name. I might be a picky eater, but I love coming to eat at places like this. For the life in me, I cannot fathom why people will travel half way across the world and go straight to a McDonald's. The food was so cheap I ordered two dishes.

ce410b1c-4930-42c3-840b-a13455422d1c_zpsfilpe4xi.jpg

2b0caebb-96d6-4fdd-b296-3c36c0fbe0cd_zpsf1ljwqjn.jpg

Pad Thai with chicken.

564f2d18-4512-48da-8e3b-d60e0c23df5f_zps3rzun4n5.jpg

Spicy green curry chicken.

ac34ed0c-6776-4fc2-8f82-81580c6fc9ec_zpsrngmaklv.jpg

6484f5a7-cf6f-4d5c-bbb2-48ab9f472166_zpsjnclmdow.jpg

For dessert I had a pancake topped with ice cream and chocolate syrup.

fe3629ae-6ff5-4da3-8cb9-1dccaadc031d_zpsskjfd9wr.jpg

Inside Mama's restaurant.

ea7541e1-92d1-47c3-8bf3-7bc3fb2f42a5_zpskkjtyngv.jpg

6952ffe1-07f8-45f9-90e1-0934dfeb3a70_zpsnshww0jq.jpg

f63d858a-1f83-4f6b-b906-65a033daa1c6_zpsrhqmfugm.jpg

All of this was only $7. Phuket would be a great place for a land trip since the hotels, food, and activities are all very cheap.

c9a2f967-9283-4ae6-9056-bdd288a58a7d_zpspzkqkcte.jpg

It started to rain again when I finished eating. It was 200 baht back to the ship, and I still had 1,000 baht leftover. The money exchange by the ship only had Malaysian ringgits, so I bought a few souvenirs instead. It was nice to meet some members of the roll call on the tender ride back. All aboard was at 7:30 pm and I was back by 5.

e937fde2-44e5-4c8a-880c-1d3ce8dcd4d4_zpsexhrzakw.jpg

A tuk tuk taxi. It's 200 baht to get around Patong anywhere.

380a5a7a-eb45-4810-b54f-9b31a2d65962_zpsxqtswpfl.jpg

A monkey was waiting for me when I made it back to my room on the ship.

8724b9d5-5fc1-4467-865c-da4c30f631ad_zpsahzvd0wv.jpg

Tonight was our second formal night. I looked at the menu posted outside of The Sound of Music and decided to pass and go to the Windjammer instead. I was still almost full anyways from the restaurant and just nibbled a little. I went to the Center Stage show in the theater, but didn't care for it too much and left early. I wanted to go to Quest but went to the wrong place and thought it had been cancelled when I arrived to an empty room. I called it a night early and just went back to my room and watched tv.

From the Center Stage show.

71f52cdd-9e84-4a18-a8ab-dd6d373e7fdc_zpstzvs9fma.jpg

Also there was an alpha call on the intercom at 12:30 in the morning with a cabin number. I think that's for a medical emergency? I hope whoever the call was for turned out ok.

Finally the Cruise Compass for today.

022_zpsdhl4tssx.jpg

023_zpsrotfkqc1.jpg

024_zpsgbabasav.jpg

025_zpsxgzzckj3.jpg

My last day on the Mariner was a sea day, and I have pictures from every nook and cranny on that ship you will ever want to see coming in the next post.

Edited by gapearl

I would've been so pissed if I went to find the Quest and found out they weren't having it. It's my favourite event by far each sailing. It looks like you had a great day though. Since you were alone during your overnight, did you feel unsafe at all while walking through the streets at that time of night? I would like to check out the night life when in Italy next year but am cautious of that one aspect.

So glad someone posted that you had done another review! I've got the old "I should be working" excuse today, but I've made it through all 10 pages!!

I think that I'd never want to do an Asian cruise, then read someone's review and see how beautiful it is! It's a shame about Singapore being so expensive, but it looks like a must-see place.

Looking forward to Phuket!!

I had no idea I was known on the Royal board since I'm never really around here. Gosh don't I feel famous. :D I think I've sparked a lot of people's interest in the Asia cruises. It's definitely a change of pace from the same old Caribbean routes. I hope you enjoy the Phuket posts!

This review is wonderful. I've read(and enjoyed) many of your reviews on the Carnival boards and had to come experience this one. I'm glad to see you're open mindedness about exploring and learning about different cultures/religions. Far too many people travel just for the pictures where it seems you want to immerse yourself with knowledge and understanding. Kudos to you and keep up the great work as I look forward to finishing this review and then reading your Mediterranean one.

Awww, thank you! I love learning about other cultures and am always encouraging others to do the same. We should all expand our horizons a bit. :)

Looks beautiful! I'll have to check this place out if I make it over there one day!

LOL! That duck has seen better days!

No rush! I'm still trying to crank-out mine too. Two more posts and I'll be done, woohoo!

LOL the duck :p:eek: I'm jealous you're done with yours now.

I came all the way over from Carnival Land!!! Loving your review.

XOXO

Haha welcome! Hopefully others will follow you over here. :)

I would never have taken the cable car that you did. Yikes

I do like the elephant ride. Did they tell you to take off your shoes when riding it?

The cable car was great!! You could do it. No it wasn't required for me to take my shoes off, but I was wearing flip flops and I didn't want them to fall off so I just took them off.

From the fun times or whatever it is royal calls them I see that you were in Phuket for two days. Do they have tenders running all night long? I've been to ports overnight but it wasn't a tender so I'm curious how that works if you want to experience the roaring Thai nightlife. Can you go back and forth all night or does one need to get a hotel in port?

From what I heard from other passengers, the tenders ran kind of on demand all night. It was nice to not have to worry about coming back to the ship and having to wait for one though.

loving this review. Thanks

I wonder if these sampan boats are just for fishing or if I could have paid to take a ride in one... Yes you can :)

Ugh I wish I knew! Now I have to go back. :cool:

I would've been so pissed if I went to find the Quest and found out they weren't having it. It's my favourite event by far each sailing. It looks like you had a great day though. Since you were alone during your overnight, did you feel unsafe at all while walking through the streets at that time of night? I would like to check out the night life when in Italy next year but am cautious of that one aspect.

I had to edit my original post that you saw about Quest. It was indeed held, I just went to the wrong place. :o:rolleyes: I hate I missed out on it. Never once did I feel unsafe. There are so many people out and this is such a huge tourist area and I felt fine. Just use your good judgment, the same you would if walking at night in Miami or Vegas. I've enjoyed the nightlife in many countries without incident *knock on wood*.

Wow, Kim, I can't believe all the amazing things you did in Phuket! I don't think I could have gotten so close to those tigers, though. And thanks for the extra info about Buddha, too. I had no idea.

Heather

Edited by SenatorsFan

Would you recommend staying at the Holiday Inn Express location wise once you got there Wow you are an action girl ,I dont think I could high five a tiger like you did ,!Can I please have Lek your drivers details ,I gather you just booked rest when you got there !Oh its so great to read your review knowing we shall be there in 2 months now really does help so much !

Would you recommend staying at the Holiday Inn Express location wise once you got there Wow you are an action girl ,I dont think I could high five a tiger like you did ,!Can I please have Lek your drivers details ,I gather you just booked rest when you got there !Oh its so great to read your review knowing we shall be there in 2 months now really does help so much !

We are staying at the Orchard City Centre one for two nights prior to our cruise. The feedback I've received before booking has been that it's in a good location for shopping and eating.

Kim, I also got very absorbed in your Navigator review...we love Europe and will be there for the fourth year in a row next summer. Repeating some of these ports, so happy to see a different perspective and experience. Thanks again!