Mariner of the Seas From Singapore 10/22/15- Complete Picture Review!

gapearl

Spectacular review! Thank you for taking the time to put it together! I'm not currently booked on a S Asia cruise but it's on my bucket list!

Safe Travels, Sam

Thanks so much! I hope you get to cross it off your bucket list sooner than later!

Kim, you have surpassed your last review! Such details, and beautiful pictures. I love your video in the beginning! So cute. I am anxiously waiting for your next installment. You have the best reviews I have ever read. Thanks for taking us with you on your vacation!

I knew you would love this one, Gloria! I always love it when you come by to read. Hopefully this will hold you over until your next cruise. lol

Love the picture of LOVE, how appropriate on a day like today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love all the love signs I see in different countries. Most times I'm just driving by it, so it was nice to be able to get out and get a picture with it.

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! You are inspiring me to add this trip to my list. I have been to Singapore and Thailand but hope to take my children to Asia one day (probably when they are teenagers) and this would be the perfect way to do it. My Asia trip was my favorite trip I have ever taken.

Sent from my phone so typing may be suspect

I think that's great that you want to take your kids to Asia. I don't have kids, but would surely be exposing them to other parts of the world if I did. It will be nice for you to get back and see how things may have changed since your first visit. I can't imagine how expensive the Singapore Sling will be by the time you get there. :eek: lol Thanks for reading!

Hi Kim,

I am really enjoying your review and photos of this cruise. We are from Australia and my family and I are going on the Dec 29 sailing. Wondering about the KL tour guide option as hiring a driver for the four of us (2 adults and 2 kids) may be cheaper than the RC Shore tour.

Really enjoying this. I will be doing a very similar but shorter itinerary in Jan.

Could you please Pm the email of your driver in Port Klang?

Zaidee has a Toyota Innova, not one of those teeny tiny taxis, so there's plenty of room for a family of 4. His email address is zaidii73@yahoo.com. I'm sure you both will enjoy his service. :)

Great start to your review, I have enjoyed all your Carnival review also. Fantastic itinerary, can wait to read and see the rest. Thanks for doing it.

Thanks Jimbo! It's cool to do a review on a different cruise line and a unique itinerary. I'm flattered that all my Carnival people are migrating over here to read this. :p

Kim thanks for the memory. Think I saw my "back" at the M&M. haha :)

Haha I saw you and your family around so much, you might be in the background of a lot of my pictures! :D

Has the haze gotten any better in Singapore yet?

I found the Alleviate Fish Spa on Trip Advisor, and after doing as much walking as I had done today, this was the perfect time to stop and let some fish eat up my feet.

This along with the hotel you stayed at are both on my travel bucket lists!! I love this review and your pictures are beautiful...thanks for sharing:-)

Hi Kim,

We are so lucky to have your insights here ! I just did the google search for the 23 rd Jan and yes at least 10,000 people that day go to Batu caves festival and its a public holiday think we may give it a miss that day ,traffic and also the heat from the crowds some in trance and all ,would be amazing to see but ... no dont want to see the ship sail away lol without us

I meant to bring it up in the survey, but I can't find it in my email any more so I must have accidentally deleted it among hundreds of junk emails. I hope what I encountered is not the norm.

Hi gapearl, I encountered the same thing on my Oct'15 Explorer sailing as well. It wasn't big enough of an issue to warrant its own thread, but since you mentioned it ...

On the first night we were slightly late entering the MDR as we were waiting to see the person in charge of the seating to put in our request for a table for 2. anyway, any change in seating arrangement would take effect only the following night so we went in to find our pre-assigned table.

contrary to what I had experienced on previous cruises, the attendants at the door didn't take us to our table, but merely waved us in a general direction. we had to wander around like lost sheep which was awkward to say the least, since most people were already seated and there we were, approaching various tables to take a peek at the number 'blocks' on them and walking off upon finding out that the table wasn't ours.

dining room staff were walking by and around us but no help was offered. finally we asked one of the staff for help. amusingly, she too had to walk half around the MDR looking at the table numbers before she managed to find ours.

loving your review by the way, and glad to see you enjoyed Singapore! the haze is more or less gone and the blue skies are back :)

Thanks Jimbo! It's cool to do a review on a different cruise line and a unique itinerary. I'm flattered that all my Carnival people are migrating over here to read this. :p

Haha I saw you and your family around so much, you might be in the background of a lot of my pictures! :D

Has the haze gotten any better in Singapore yet?

Yes it is better now as the wind direction had changed recently. Now mainly in the moderate range.

Stay in touch with us and should you come by Singapore again, let us bring you on a food tour in Singapore. haha. :D

Edited by cruiserinsg

This trip was an amazing cultural experience like no other. You are truly in for a treet on your cruise. :) If you're going to be at the Batu Caves the day of the festival, please come back and post come pictures!

After looking at all your photos, I've contacted Zaidee to see if he will drive us! DH was skeptical, but you got to see so many more things, and we can just plan to go back earlier. I absolutely prefer private tours. We will be there for Christmas and New Year's, so we won't be amongst the 800,000 people :eek: at the festival!

Thank you for all of this. Really. Thank you!

OMG Im late to the party!

LOVING everything! You are so adventurous to explore on your own, I think i would be a big ol frady cat LOL.

Love seeing all the comparisons regarding RC and Carni too.

But UGG omg your table mates.. so rude. Yet I know wherever you go you make your own fun!!

Cant wait to read more!

Kim,

Absolutely loving your review. Really appreciate all the time you take to write it and post amazing pictures! This particular itinerary has not been on my list, but now with your review you have definitely sparked an interest.

Look forward to reading more. Cheers!

This along with the hotel you stayed at are both on my travel bucket lists!! I love this review and your pictures are beautiful...thanks for sharing:-)

Awesome! The Marina Bay has got a lot of free advertising through me! :p I'm glad you're enjoying the review.

I am really enjoying the review of your cruise. I appreciate all the time and effort it takes to put this together.

Thanks

Thank you! Yes, it takes so much time to put together, but I couldn't imagine not sharing my travels with everyone. :)

Hi Kim,

We are so lucky to have your insights here ! I just did the google search for the 23 rd Jan and yes at least 10,000 people that day go to Batu caves festival and its a public holiday think we may give it a miss that day ,traffic and also the heat from the crowds some in trance and all ,would be amazing to see but ... no dont want to see the ship sail away lol without us

I should be the next Samantha Brown, shouldn't I? :D If you do want to do the Batu Caves that bad, I never say this, but maybe consider taking the ship's excursion. I think it would be cool to experience during the festival, but there are so many other things to do if you don't want to deal with the crowds.

Hi gapearl, I encountered the same thing on my Oct'15 Explorer sailing as well. It wasn't big enough of an issue to warrant its own thread, but since you mentioned it ...

On the first night we were slightly late entering the MDR as we were waiting to see the person in charge of the seating to put in our request for a table for 2. anyway, any change in seating arrangement would take effect only the following night so we went in to find our pre-assigned table.

contrary to what I had experienced on previous cruises, the attendants at the door didn't take us to our table, but merely waved us in a general direction. we had to wander around like lost sheep which was awkward to say the least, since most people were already seated and there we were, approaching various tables to take a peek at the number 'blocks' on them and walking off upon finding out that the table wasn't ours.

dining room staff were walking by and around us but no help was offered. finally we asked one of the staff for help. amusingly, she too had to walk half around the MDR looking at the table numbers before she managed to find ours.

loving your review by the way, and glad to see you enjoyed Singapore! the haze is more or less gone and the blue skies are back :)

I'll admit that I was a few minutes late to the first dinner. I know the first nights can be hectic, but I was a bit disappointed that they still didn't walk me to my table. There were three of them and no one in line behind me. I hope that doesn't become a normal thing among all the ships.

I'm glad to hear things are getting better in Singapore. I was so happy that the day I decided to go to Sentosa for my beach day was a pretty clear day! :)

I just started to watch the preview video, and get hooked. I'll read all I can. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Thank you for coming by! I hope you enjoy.

Yes it is better now as the wind direction had changed recently. Now mainly in the moderate range.

Stay in touch with us and should you come by Singapore again, let us bring you on a food tour in Singapore. haha. :D

I would love a food tour! But I know one restaurant that I won't be visiting! :eek::D

After looking at all your photos, I've contacted Zaidee to see if he will drive us! DH was skeptical, but you got to see so many more things, and we can just plan to go back earlier. I absolutely prefer private tours. We will be there for Christmas and New Year's, so we won't be amongst the 800,000 people :eek: at the festival!

Thank you for all of this. Really. Thank you!

Yes, I saw everything I wanted to see, and more! He took me to some places I didn't even know about, such as the I love KL sign, the royal palace, and the Chinese temple. Tell DH there's no need to be skeptical. He'll keep a good eye on time for you and will cut something from your day before he'll let you get back to the ship late.

OMG Im late to the party!

LOVING everything! You are so adventurous to explore on your own, I think i would be a big ol frady cat LOL.

Love seeing all the comparisons regarding RC and Carni too.

But UGG omg your table mates.. so rude. Yet I know wherever you go you make your own fun!!

Cant wait to read more!

Hey girl! I was gonna inbox you a couple of days ago with the link, but saw you and your hubby at his military ball and looked like y'all were busy. :) I forgot to send it the next day. You know I love to have you over here reading. I can't wait for us to end up on a cruise together one day! :p

Kim,

Absolutely loving your review. Really appreciate all the time you take to write it and post amazing pictures! This particular itinerary has not been on my list, but now with your review you have definitely sparked an interest.

Look forward to reading more. Cheers!

I'm glad to have sparked your interest! You should look into it and put it one your maybe one day list. Much more to come soon.

I've read many of your posts, but this one really wow's me. You are so brave to have done this trip alone and yet still maintain such a relaxed and humorous attitude.

Thank you for this wonderful look into another side of the world.

Thanks for all the kind words! Solo traveling has just become a normal thing for me and I don't think anything of it. I often forget that most people don't like to travel by themselves and see this as a big deal. I'm glad you're enjoying Asia through my camera.

Kim,

Malaysia looks like a very diverse country. The Batu Caves in Port Klang look very interesting, and Kuala Lampur looks like a beautiful city. The monkeys are so adorable!

I am loving the cultural immersion in this review. In previous reviews I remember talking about how much I loved Asia and how I wished you the best when cruising there, and that I hoped you would take it all in and enjoy every minute of it. Looks like you did! :D Thanks so much again for the opportunity to relive some old memories, as well as see new places to go on my bucket list, through your camera lens! FANTASTIC review Kim, this is slowly beginning to be my favorite ;)

Cruise Day 1- Embarkation

I woke up early so I could get my stuff together and be out the door to hail a taxi at 11:30 am. One thing that's surprisingly not expensive in Singapore are the taxis. My 25 minute ride was only $12. The Voyager of the Seas was also in port. I heard she was doing a 2 week cruise to Australia.

That moment when you see your ship for the first time! :D

a7313057-68ea-4ac8-84a4-63c49e183080_zps342osa7b.jpg

The drop off building is the same for both ships. I asked the porter that took my bags if I could give him a tip, and he said no that's ok. Wow, that's a huge difference from the porters in Florida that all but threaten to throw your bag in the ocean if you don't give then a dollar. There's a currency exchange in the terminal with an ATM, so you can change your money before you leave. They don't accept debit or credit cards here like some currency exchange places do, so make sure you get some cash before getting in line. I was happy to have my money already changed for Malaysia and Thailand.

There were long, long lines everywhere and so many people!

67494746-9797-4017-9746-a940183bf2ef_zpsbwnngxhu.jpg

04d174ac-3baf-4a63-a67c-0c432f3dca4f_zpsv2jhcn5k.jpg

This is why I was happy I didn't bring any wine bottles. I thought Royal Caribbean allows you to bring two bottles of wine per stateroom? I guess that doesn't apply to cruises from Singapore.

8c30237f-be1a-4319-90f3-f24c3487a91e_zpshxdehu5w.jpg

After passing through the security line, I went to the check in line. There's a line for gold members that was empty, and I breezed right to the front bypassing at least 100 others in the regular line. The line with the other higher statuses was no more than about 6-8 deep. In addition to my sea pass card, I was given a card with a color and sent to wait. And then wait a while longer. There was an announcement that boarding would begin between 2:30-3 pm. It's a quarter past 1. Oh dear, I'm getting hungry and cranky because I'm hungry. An older man that could be my father sat down right next to me and said hola and asked if I speak Spanish. Good thing I do. LOL He said he thought I was Cuban which is why he sat next to me haha. He was also a solo traveler from Madrid. I told him about my trips to Madrid and Barcelona over the last few years.

0c7b6ea2-1ae0-4b0f-93d0-9556017ebc7a_zpsdsftkmtb.jpg

We got the call for some of the colors to board at 1:30 pm. This is the first time I've had to pass through immigration before boarding a ship and had no idea it was required. Pack your patience, folks. The lines are long and move at a tortoise pace. Ladies, don't try to be cute in your new Jessica Simpson wedges. Wear some comfortable shoes. It took at least 20 minutes to get through. I arrived at noon and it was after 2 pm when I boarded the ship. There's no need to get here too early.

Royal Caribbean do allow 2 bottles of wine even from Singapore. we were on the Explorer that sailed on 3 November.