RCI shuttle from train to Port Liberty

alfaeric

I tried searching for an answer about this on the East Coast Departures page, but could not find any reference...

We have been informed that Royal has a free shuttle that moves passengers from the 34th street Light Rail stop to the port.

Has anyone heard this, or is aware of it?

It's not a big deal, as both the RCI web page and the Port Liberty web page points out that getting a cab is pretty easy. But it would be nice to know.

As it turns out- our hotel is near one of the light rail stops, and using rail to get near the port saves us a bunch of money. So we are going to try. Be adventurous...

We did it in Rome, so we might as well try now.

I'd like to know too. The last time we sailed from Bayonne, we took a cab from Penn Station in Newark.

Ps. Where/whom did you get this notice?

We called the hotel we are staying at on Saturday, which is in Jersey City (and has a visit New York package). The person my wife talked to mentioned that, as when she gets off work at 7:30am on Sunday morning, she heads to the port- where she will be working the embarkation of the Anthem.

I have used the light rail several times in Bayonne. While we did use a paid shuttle from the port to the station, have never seen a shuttle to the ship. We used a taxi. Look up the cab companies in Bayonne and be prepared to call. Waited for a cab for 45 minutes in a blizzard!

To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing.....

Perhaps it's the crew shuttle. I can't imagine them running a free shuttle for passengers to the light rail......considering that they insisted that all the transportation services charge the same 28.50 that they do to get to EWR.

You'll want to get the phone numbers of local cab companies since the cabs are not always there. It will be around $8 per cab...IIRC....

Try 201-437-2000

This is timely. We were just talking about this last night. We are thinking of taking the train up to NYC. Wondered how we would get to the ship, and then back to the depot. Eager to read any additional posts!

We stay in Newark NJ where we fly into and take the PATH train at PENN Station in NJ.... to NYC and then are closer for a cab or shuttle from the hotel to the ship.

I tried searching for an answer about this on the East Coast Departures page, but could not find any reference...

We have been informed that Royal has a free shuttle that moves passengers from the 34th street Light Rail stop to the port.

Has anyone heard this, or is aware of it?

It's not a big deal, as both the RCI web page and the Port Liberty web page points out that getting a cab is pretty easy. But it would be nice to know.

As it turns out- our hotel is near one of the light rail stops, and using rail to get near the port saves us a bunch of money. So we are going to try. Be adventurous...

We did it in Rome, so we might as well try now.

No free shuttle in Bayonne between the light rail and the terminal.

Here are the cab companies:

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Here's the big picture rail map: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

If you have an individual question about how it all works, please ask on the East Coast board and I will respond. I've done the PATH/light rail trip with luggage from 33rd St. in Manhattan to Hoboken to Bayonne, Bayonne to Exchange Place to World Trade, and Newark Penn Station to Exchange Place to Bayonne. It's all accessible with luggage and I have found the various trains to be very empty after 9 am. It does take a little longer, but to me it's an interesting trip and saves me a lot of money. The light rail runs on the street, so there's lots to look at. If you come in on NJ Transit or Amtrak to Newark Penn Station, you cross the platform to PATH (northbound only - southbound requires an elevator transfer) and go to Exchange Place. Elevators or escalators take you up to the street where you cross a small plaza to the light rail station on the street.

This is timely. We were just talking about this last night. We are thinking of taking the train up to NYC. Wondered how we would get to the ship, and then back to the depot. Eager to read any additional posts!

If you are arriving at Penn St., NYC, you can take the Path to Hoboken and then hop on the light rail to Bayonne..as others have said you need to take a taxi from the light rail station to the port.

When we sailed on the Q in Feb. we took the train from our home to Newark, NJ Penn Station because of icy conditions and if I recall it was a flat rate of somewhere $30 excl. tip to take us to the port. We were lucky that we agreed to a flat rate as it took us 1.15 hours to go the last mile.

Ps. The return trip to our house was a bit easier, as we took RCL's paid shuttle to Liberty Int'l Airport and one of the stops at the airport is NJ Transit train and took the train to our house. We could not do the same going to port as RCL demanded a flight #--does not make any sense.

No free shuttle in Bayonne between the light rail and the terminal.

Here are the cab companies:

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Here's the big picture rail map: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

If you have an individual question about how it all works, please ask on the East Coast board and I will respond. I've done the PATH/light rail trip with luggage from 33rd St. in Manhattan to Hoboken to Bayonne, Bayonne to Exchange Place to World Trade, and Newark Penn Station to Exchange Place to Bayonne. It's all accessible with luggage and I have found the various trains to be very empty after 9 am. It does take a little longer, but to me it's an interesting trip and saves me a lot of money. The light rail runs on the street, so there's lots to look at. If you come in on NJ Transit or Amtrak to Newark Penn Station, you cross the platform to PATH (northbound only - southbound requires an elevator transfer) and go to Exchange Place. Elevators or escalators take you up to the street where you cross a small plaza to the light rail station on the street.

Thanks Carol.

We kind of figured it wasn't totally correct, as other than this person telling us, there's no reference anywhere to a shuttle.

But the light rail looks to be a very easy to use choice for us- as we are close to a stop. Should be fun.

Doubletree- with a view of Manhattan room.

Near the Harsimus Cove light rail station.

Good choice. Could you post back and review the hotel and your experience on the light rail? I've only stayed at the Courtyard, which I really liked. However, it was not a precruise stay and I've only gone to Cape Liberty from Exchange Place.

Good choice. Could you post back and review the hotel and your experience on the light rail? I've only stayed at the Courtyard, which I really liked. However, it was not a precruise stay and I've only gone to Cape Liberty from Exchange Place.

I'll try to- and maybe post a specific think in the departures area.