Free things to do in Cozumel

MsSoloTravel

I'm not looking to spend money in this port and wondering if I should just stay on the ship.

Are there any beaches within walking distance of Carnival port?

Do you know of any good local restaurants that are a short taxi ride away?

Edited by MsSoloTravel

I'm sorry, I thought Carnival used the same one all the time. I'll look it up. But I sail on the Dream Sept 18, 2016.

I don't want to eat or shop at the touristy area at the port. I'm thinking...walk to a beach to dip my toes in the water, take a cab outside of the port area for lunch at a locally owned joint, or stay on the ship.

You should be at the Puerta Maya pier; not sure about any free nearby beaches, but a taxi to downtown and non-touristy restaurants and bars will be about $10 each way. The fare covers up to 4 passengers in the cab, so pair up with others on your roll call. ;)

11$ cab ride each way...share the cab and it is dirt cheap.

Excellent snorkeling spot. It is where many of the boat tours bring people to snorkel.

If you have your own snorkel gear it is free or a small charge to rent.

No "beach" per say but a sandy area with loungers..no charge. Clean rest rooms, good food at a reasonable price.

Popular for snorkeling.

Palancar beach. Same idea a short taxi ride. Last I head $25.00 to hire a taxi who will take you and whoever you want to share the cab with to the beach. for 3 hours and take you back to the ship.

Good beach and typically less busy than others

It will be extremely difficult to have a good time and not spend ANY money.

I never understood why people pay for a cruise then don't want to spend any money to have a good time. I have seen these kind of posts on all sorts of itinerary. Even European Med cruises. Pay to fly to Europe, an 11 day cruise, with wonderful ports and stay on the ship because they don't want to spend any money!

Cozumel it is not an expensive port. You don't have to spend much to have a good time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I thought Carnival used the same one all the time. I'll look it up. But I sail on the Dream Sept 18, 2016.

I don't want to eat or shop at the touristy area at the port. I'm thinking...walk to a beach to dip my toes in the water, take a cab outside of the port area for lunch at a locally owned joint, or stay on the ship.

We rented a car for $45 and drove to the other side of the isaln excellent place to really see the isalnd. Also ruins on the way that are free as well as some small cantinas if you like very good food at excellent prices.

I never understood why people pay for a cruise then don't want to spend any money to have a good time. I have seen these kind of posts on all sorts of itinerary. Even European Med cruises. Pay to fly to Europe, an 11 day cruise, with wonderful ports and stay on the ship because they don't want to spend any money!

Cozumel it is not an expensive port. You don't have to spend much to have a good time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't say I didn't want to spend any money on my cruise. I said I didn't want to spend any money in this port. I'm spending a lot of money between ship and port. But I'm tapped out for cozumel. Sooo, that's why I'm looking for something as close to free as I can get. If I can spend $20 or less dipping my toes in the ocean and sitting in the sand for an hour or two or taking a cab to a great local restaurant for a good meal then I would rather do that then stay on the ship. If I end up staying on the ship it will still be a great day!

paradise beach is a $14 cab ride. we ask everyone in the cab line if anyone else is going there and there has always been someone to cut the fare in half. entry is $3 each and they ask you to spend $10 each person. huge pool, nice grounds, clean restrooms and nice beach. so if there's two of you and you split the cab you can get by for $33. I think you would find it worth that.

I just got back from my first cruise and my first trip to Cozumel.

I like free things. I didnt spent much on my 5 day trip.

My ship dock at the Int pier, so I walk 1.5 miles to town. Nice walk along the shoreline. We walk to a supermarket. Buy a few chips. Compare the prices there to the States. Price is the almost the same.

Went to eat a big burrito that cost $8 and share with wife.

Walk some more around the town. Took a taxi back to pier before the ship sail.

Thank you Bluenoser and Nosmothj for your suggestions. I'll keep them in mind as I plan.

Coz has a great town area for walking, browsing and noshing. But it is "touristy" (but hey, you are a tourist).

If you want a good meal out of the tourist area I recommend EL MORRO - Great food and good service. Cab was about $10 each way. Check them out on the web.