Heating pad

Is a heating pad allow on the cruise ships? My mother in law uses one for a medical disease she was diagnosed with!!

Thanks

I don't know if they will allow your heating pad, because of safety reasons.

I know the medical department will supply an heating pad. They will also provide an extension cord.

Inquire at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

Edited by clarea

I don't know if they will allow your heating pad, because of safety reasons.

I know the medical department will supply an heating pad. They will also provide an extension cord.

Inquire at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

Bob is spot on. A heating pad has a heating element, so they are generally prohibited, but depending on what special needs says, you could either get permission for it, or have the ship supply one.

Bull....hubby has brought a heating pad on SEVERAL cruises...along with an extension cord...no plugs near the bed. Pack it in your locked, checked bags...it's fine.

You are completely incorrect! It's not fine. Both items are on the prohibited items list! If there is a medical necessity for a prohibited item arrangements need to be made with the special needs department.

You are completely incorrect! It's not fine. Both items are on the prohibited items list! If there is a medical necessity for a prohibited item arrangements need to be made with the special needs department.

Believe it or not, heating pads actually are not! I'm pretty sure at one time they were, but the current list states:

"The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found."

"...Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates..."

"Electrical Extension Cords"

They can (and probably should) choose to lump any electrical device with a heating element into that category, but their list is vague to a fault!

So, applying logic, and the advice that I choose to accept of the handful of people on this board who've actually worked as engineers on ocean going vessels, I'd be much more inclined to contact the special needs folks (recognizing that there have been numerous reports on Cruise Critic of subpar extension cords and the like provided!).

But, I'm not a fan of the "just take it; I have" attitude. I am not an electrical engineer, but simple physics means that an ocean going vessel's electrical systems have to be different than a land based grounded system; water makes a lousy ground!

Believe it or not, heating pads actually are not! I'm pretty sure at one time they were, but the current list states:

"The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found."

They can (and probably should) choose to lump any electrical device with a heating element into that category, but their list is vague to a fault!

So, applying logic, and the advice that I choose to accept of the handful of people on this board who've actually worked as engineers on ocean going vessels, I'd be much more inclined to contact the special needs folks (recognizing that there have been numerous reports on Cruise Critic of subpar extension cords and the like provided!).

But, I'm not a fan of the "just take it; I have" attitude. I am not an electrical engineer, but simple physics means that an ocean going vessel's electrical systems have to be different than a land based grounded system; water makes a lousy ground!

Believe it or not they actually are. Here is the paragraph right from Royal's prohibited items list on their website:

image: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608#Ts9EIFSt7qIOxoez.99

Believe it or not they actually are. Here is the paragraph right from Royal's prohibited items list on their website:

image: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608#Ts9EIFSt7qIOxoez.99

Apologies!

Typical RCCI. They are not listed on the "what not to pack" FAQ, which is where I looked and quoted, but are listed on the "Onboard Policies" link, which I didn't see tonight (and was clearly where i knew I'd seen them!).

Is consistency of information really that hard!

(And I think we both agree on the principle! My comment was that I couldn't find it and couldn't believe it wasn't there!)

Edited by markeb

Apologies!

Typical RCCI. They are not listed on the "what not to pack" FAQ, which is where I looked and quoted, but are listed on the "Onboard Policies" link, which I didn't see tonight (and was clearly where i knew I'd seen them!).

Is consistency of information really that hard!

(And I think we both agree on the principle! My comment was that I couldn't find it and couldn't believe it wasn't there!)

No problem. I wanted to clarify it for you. Unfortunately my post of the actual page did not come out clearly.

Thank you for the veiled reference. :) Actually, sea water makes a perfect ground (think of the hair dryer in the bathtub :eek:) which is why things are different.

The actual reason for the prohibition on heating appliances is that many lines accept the testing results from places like UL and NFPA (a bit surprised but not disputing Keith's statement), that "auto shut-offs" fail and the device will continue to heat until it catches something on fire. Mr. Coffee almost went out of business a couple decades ago from lawsuits about their auto shut offs failing and causing house fires. We had to test the coffee makers that were in the cabins regularly, and to their intense embarrassment, the electricians left one going while unattended and it went up in flames. If you read the UL approval of most heating appliances, it always recommends that the appliance be unplugged when not in use.

Just contact RCI to find out.

On another line I could bring my heating pad as long as it had an automatic turnoff.

Keith

I thought this was also the case on RCI. Can't remember where I read this.

I always bring a heating pad with auto shut off and have never had a problem. I would not own a heating pad without the auto shut off function.

Still, best to call and check.

I have always brought on a heating pad even notifying special needs prior to the cruise. The extension cord has been provided by the cruise ship.

On the Serenade last October I got summoned to the naughty room (area) to get my missing luggage and sure enough it was due to my heating pad. The crew member did not want me to bring it on. He called someone who told him to make the decision himself. I pointed out it had an auto shut off and was allowed.

I always bring one, with an extension cord. Never had a issue

You will eventually. While for the most part heating pads are far safer than they were many years ago, there is the potential for someone bring a cheap, poorly made Chinese one onboard or a worn out extension cord on board, they prefer you use their so they can keep an eye on its condition.