INTERNET COMPANIES VS. A TRAVEL AGENT? help

skarletohara

I've always used a TA for a cruise. However,

the quotes are coming in exceedingly high for the cruises that i'm currently interested in.

So I decided to call and check the web-sites of

several of the popular cruise web-sites that

I've heard people talk about on this board and

much to my happy surprise, the quotes are like

$170 per person cheaper on the cruise I'm interested in (when you add in shipboard credit)

I guess I have this little fear that I'll pay the money to one of these companies, but my docs won't show up or something? Am I worrying needlessly? Also, if any of you have

purchased cruises from one of these companies,

I'd sure appreciate hearing of your experiences, satisfaction vs. dissatisfaction.

Also, I don't think i'd feel comfortable with a company that does business ONLY over the internet. I definitely wish to be able to talk

to a human being in case something goes awry!

Thanks in advance for any information.

Also, I've heard that there's a particular lady that people on this board really seem to like. I don't know if I'm allowed to name "her" but her name begins with the letter K.... and she's in business for herself, apparently

Carnival Holiday 6/92

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 6/94

Celebrity Infinity 6/28/01

Star Princess 2/08/03

Golden Princess 12/06/03

We deal with this "K" person all the time. You will not go wrong using this TA. Close as a telephone call away and always available.

Your right, I do not think it appropriate to name TA names here.

Island Princess - Hawaii, Nov.5/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

The TA you are discussing works under the umbrella of a Travel Agency in Hollywood, CA. That makes me feel better than depending on just one individual in case she was to go out of business.

We used her for the past Regal cruise, had a great price, shipboard credit, a voucher for a bottle of wine and 2 casual photos.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

WE"RE BACK!Regal to Hawaii, April 5, 2004

I do all my research online and know exactly what I want when I want to book. I've found an agent that has an online website that beats everything else I've tried.

You cannot beat a local travel agent if you do not have experience and need hand-holding. That's what they excel at! (did that make sense?)

But, if you are an experienced cruiser that knows exactly what you want... the online agencies can be very beneficial.

Sue

sueclark@aol.com

Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - April 25, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation Transatlantic 9/7/04

Infinity Panama Canal 4/17/05

I would just make certain I was dealing with a real person online and not just a "store front." Many of the latter are reputable and all, but if anything should go haywire, you need a friend to go to bat for you.

Personally, I have always used a brick and mortar agency. I know that many have had great luck with online sites and swear by them. My TA has gotten me great rates (that beat online pricing for our upcoming cruise) and while talking with a Princess rep prior to our Coral Princess cruise got us a complimentary upgrade ... to a Vista Suite, no less! My TA ain't broke; so I see no need to tinker with a fix.

'Vegas Jim

There are internet TA's .

The best of both worlds. They have access to better pricing as a rule than most local TA's who dont handle a lot of cruise business. Often they are affiliated with a sponsor that allows them to have special tie ins and promotions as well as volume pricing.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

I bookd for the first time with K I found her very helpful, always called me back and gave us an onboard credit, I would have really loved an upgrade to a balcony and have so far had not luck but her prices were very good compaired to what I located on my own, I would use K again, good luck

2003 November Golden Princess

2004 February Grand Princess

2004 June Diamond Princess

You can then imagine how I felt having to deal with one from Australia but believe it or not the only way to get a mini on emerald deck (we part. wanted a covered balcony) was to book through an online US travel agent as those cabins according to P&O in Aus are not released for sale here - it was also over $1000US cheaper than we could get here (on an AC mini)go figure - anyway I also checked http://www.bbb.org/ the better business bureau to give me some added comfort about the agency I was going to deal with - this might also give you some added comfort.

Jane

Just because you talk to someone on the phone, or even if they have a business name showing does not mean that you won't have problems. Dealt with a TA in the plains states and they ended up taking a trip with everyones money. Got caught but no return of our funds; spent. I think history of the agency, research of the agency and other users experience is the only way to check up on a TA. Even someone with a store front can close up and walk off with the money. We have seen that it many businesses.

I did a bunch of online research, and the best price (and great e-mail and phone response) was from makingmemoriestravel.com I gave my local TA the opportunity to come close to her price, but she couldn't.

I used "K" for the first time and have been pleased. Actually booked initially through an online agency (but had an 800# also) but then prices started dropping and they wouldn't match so I switched to "K". She indicated to me that my contract was with Princess and not with the TA so that give some protection against a TA taking your money, I believe. Also used a credit card and that is additional protection. "K" even gave me another price reduction a couple months later when priced dropped again. I would recommend her. In order to get onboard credits, be flexible about your cruise dates and ask her which ones she has onboard credits for.

Keep in mind that most of the internet agents out there are fully licensed, accredited TAs. I started using internet TAs 3 years ago (used Buycruises at that time) and found that as long as I could talk to a live person (I would not use an agency that will only use e-mail), I was able to get any problems worked out just as well as if I walked into a TA's office here in town. The savings were worth not knowing what the person at the other end of the line looks like. I have since switched to "K", and have been extremely pleased with her, as her pricing has been comparable or better than Buycruises, and she has usually gotten me shipboard credit. She has also gotten us some price drops as well. I just booked another cruise with her yesterday, so have booked 4 cruises with her now. She was also able to get us a lower price on our Viking River cruise, which no other agent was able to do.

Cathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

until European River Cruise on Viking Spirit

I use cruiserewards.com for all cruises and I have found there prices lower than anyone else. I have always had docs on time and everything has been smooth. An 800 number is available should I need it, but really haven't so far. I wouldn't hesitate to do business on-line.

Lynda

JUST A NOTE, FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO "SHOP" FOR PRICES. THE CRUISE INDUSTRY IS VERY MUCH LIKE THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY, WHEN IT COMES TO PRICEHUNTING. WHO YOU CALL, WHERE YOU LOOK, AND WHEN YOU DO IT, ARE ALL FACTORS IN THE PRICE AVAILABLE AT THE TIME. THE CRUISE INDUSTRY DOES NOT CHANGE AS CONSTANT AND RAPID AS THE AIRLINES DOES, BUT ITS THE SAME RULE OF THUMB. THAT IS, 'SUPPLY & DEMAND". SO WHEN YOU SEE OR HEAR A GOOD PRICE, JUMP ON IT, AND BE HAPPY. icon_smile.gif

Friends of ours recommended Cruise 411 last year for our first cruise, they were great to deal with, and we just booked our second cruise through them.Our crusie price dropped several times, and our price was adjusted. Always spoke to a agent on the phone or could just e-mail them and they were very prompt in responding. All our docs, came in plenty of time. Their prices are right in-line with everyone elses.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;1;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days until we sail the Star Princess!

Sorry to seem a little snippy, but I am a travel agent and I am being told I can't reveal any of my information on the boards. I really don't think it is fair that everyone pushes this "K" person. No one is giving me the chance to reveal my name and agency.

Please be fair and follow the rules.

Much appreciated,

MrsGoofy98

First Royal Caribbean Cruise - Can't Wait!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2003;9;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

mrsgoofy,

I agree it does seem, perhaps is unfair, this subject is a touchy one. But remember it isn't "K" who is talking about "K" it is her clients. If your clients started talking about you in similar terms...well that is up to them.

I do not use her I use my own internet and phone based TA but CC has it's policies in place for a reason, otherwise this becomes one big freebie billboard for every TA that comes across as it once nearly did.

One open Princess booking

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>