Dress Code Queen Victoria

Aseline

Hello

We are cruising with Cunard for the first time in January. Having read the reviews I see that the dress code appears to be quite strict specially on the formal nights. We are fine with this, but my question is, does the woman have to wear a dress for these nights or are appropriate trousers allowed?

Any advice given would be appreciated. We normally sail with Royal Caribbean.

Hi,

Welcome to the Cunard forum. No you don't have to wear a dress. A long skirt or evening trousers would be fine.

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and army uniform.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

Hello

We are cruising with Cunard for the first time in January. Having read the reviews I see that the dress code appears to be quite strict specially on the formal nights. We are fine with this, but my question is, does the woman have to wear a dress for these nights or are appropriate trousers allowed?

Any advice given would be appreciated. We normally sail with Royal Caribbean.

Aseline, evening trousers will be fine and a point of interest, a few people who have asked similar questions have come back and said they found the formal dress code was interpreted quite loosely by some passengers, male and female and day wear was more casual than advice given. That isn't to say people should use this as their guide, but it does indicate the occasional rigid advice given on this board is aspirational rather than actual.

Yes look at the brochure photographs for an idea of what to wear, but bear in mind, the evening clothes depicted are definitely what I would call top end. You will see some beautiful gowns on board, but the majority of ladies will be in long dresses [which are different in style from true gowns], cocktail wear and evening trousers. A few will even be in what I would term day dresses. All have been admitted to the restaurant on a formal night.

Jeans and shorts are perfectly acceptable day wear around the ship including the main restaurants and remember to cover swimwear up when inside.

Whatever you wear have fun and enjoy your first Cunard cruise.

Yes look at the brochure photographs for an idea of what to wear, but bear in mind, the evening clothes depicted are definitely what I would call top end. You will see some beautiful gowns on board,

QUOTE]

Exactly my point. Why would anyone not try to be their very best. Is life meant to slough off or to be your very best? Only each of us has that answer for themselves.

I'm sure everyone does want to be their very best, but those gowns are very expensive and not everyone can afford to buy numerous glamorous dresses. Neither might they feel comfortable in them for a variety of reasons. I think this forum has a tendency to over-state the expected dress code leaving those new to Cunard (including me before our last cruise) rather unnecessarily anxious about their wardrobe rather than excited about a wonderful experience.

The marketing material certainly does help give an idea of what might be appropriate, but the reality is exactly what Victoria2 has described so my point to the OP is, don't worry, you will be fine.

[emoji3]

Yes look at the brochure photographs for an idea of what to wear, but bear in mind, the evening clothes depicted are definitely what I would call top end. You will see some beautiful gowns on board,

QUOTE]

Exactly my point. Why would anyone not try to be their very best. Is life meant to slough off or to be your very best? Only each of us has that answer for themselves.

I have two gowns in my wardrobe and I have beautiful long dresses. I like to think I look pretty damned good in all. The difference being my long dresses cost a couple of hundred pounds each and I can buy four or five for one gown. Go figure why I say long dresses are the norm rather than high end gowns!

You will see all sorts and much will depend on the cruise and nationalities onboard. On formal evenings there are many long evening dresses , party dresses and some what I would call ball gowns, which obviously take up a lot of space but look fantastic. Evening trousers with a glitzy top/ blouse are common but mostly on informal nights tbh. Some cruises are very dressy , some not so. If you enjoy dressing up , just go for it!

I wear the frocks but I've got an evening trouser suit that has served me well. I wear it glammed up, big jewellery, posh top, killer heels for formal and "ordinary" top with low heels or flats for other nights.

Having just returned from my first cruise, both myself and my mother were a bit worried about what to wear. We were in Britannia, my mom prefers trousers and tops, so she had black trousers and glittery tops etc, I wore a long dress one night, and a knee length dress on another formal, and a calf length the other formal. I'm mid 30's mom is 60. To be honest I wouldn't worry, and I got most of my clothes in the January sale last year...my mom got a lot of her stuff from bonmarche, she looked great.

There has been the myth that everyone on board is in their tux/ballgown wearing their mummies old jewelry ........like an old 1940's movie 24/7. :eek:it is not the case.Athough [not to insult royal caribbean] i would up my game over what rc calls for. Trust me after 6 you will not be tossed overboard,made to shovel coal or go hungry if your hubby does not want to be a penguin :D. Please leave ripped jeans [or any ripped clothes] and t shirts that say anything home.A nice dress shirt and dress pants is what i usually wear after 6,sometimes a sport jacket,sometimes a tie.We are on the QV in a few weeks and i will be bringing a pair of [GASP:eek:]....worn jeans for an excursion...........i just cannot see my self hiking up a volcano in a tux:p and my wife will probably not wear her high heels