Calamity Jane Takes PRIDE (11-15-15) in Having NO Calamities

Delta Dear

We love the Pride. We were married on July 5th on her so it has a special place in our hearts. Can't wait for our next cruise on the Pride September 2nd 2016 to Bermuda. Loved you review glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Congratulations ! How beautiful. I think getting married on a cruise is very romantic. Thank you so much for including the pictures. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Hi Jane! Another nice review from you. You guys had an eventful first day, wow. I love the picture of Morgan knocked out lol. I'm looking forward to the Pride next year. This will be my first time on a Spirit class ship. I wish you would have booked the one I'm on. My mom also likes to sit on the promenade and people watch or work on her puzzle books. I could see y'all sitting there talking all day! :)

Enjoyed reading your review and seeing the pics. Loved the T's, tempted to get one for my upcoming cruises. Opps I need to update my profile. Plan on sending you an email for the T-shirt info.

I will be on the Pride for the 1st time this March, now I am really looking forward to it.

Awesome review as usual, Jane. Sad I couldn't join you, but so fun to relive my trip on the Pride through you. I'm going to start working on mom and dad now to book Nov. 6, 2016! I hope Morgan is doing better and wish you both the best until next time!

-H

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your cruise ! Sounds like you had a nice relaxing vacation.

We were on the Pride this past April and are booked on her again in October 2016 - can't wait !! :D

Hi Theresa, I'm sure you and your husband will find the ship very easy to get around.

We didn't realize that yes, the transporters can take you directly to your cabin. I can't remember if we asked to be taken to our cabin, or if we just assumed we couldn't be. We tipped them when we got to the Atrium, then I went directly to Guest Services where I asked for a chair for my husband. The person at GS told me the transporters who pushed us on could have taken him to the cabin. She called for someone else who then came to push him.

One other thing. If your husband will be transferring to a chair in the main dining room, the staff will take his wheelchair and park it until after dinner, then will bring it back to the table when he is ready to leave. I would suggest that you stop in the MDR soon after you board to see exactly where they have you seated. If you find it is not going to work in terms of ease, comfort, or location let them know so that it can be changed.

Feel free to ask any other questions. One reason why I like to do reviews is because we represent the older, more challenged population. It is funny but when I told Morgan I had rented a scooter for him (of course he said he didn't need one, HA !) he asked if I had ever seen a scooter on a ship before. He was afraid he would be the only one. He had never noticed or been sensitive to the number of cruisers who have mobility challenges. It is almost as if, unless you are part of that population, you do not pay attention to the same issues. Glad I can help.

Be sure to come back on here after you cruise to let me know how things worked out for your husband.

Thank you for the info. After the fiasco on the NCL Gem I wanted to rent a scooter for Michael but he too said he doesn't want one. I think with the location of our cabin and size of the ship we should be fine. I forgot to mention that we have the cabin on the other side from where your cabin was on deck 7, and we are up on deck 8 same location on the 1st leg. We'll have to move cabins in between the cruises, but that's okay they will help us move. The location seems to be very convenient for elevators. We also signed up for the open dining and will ask for a table close to the doors if possible. I will definitely post after the cruise and let you now how it went. Thanks again.

Theresa

I was interested in reading your review because a) we are in New Castle, DE, b) we are sailing on the Pride in March & c) I order a scooter for my DH. He has trouble walking & over tires easily. I've had 1 knee replaced & the other is getting bad with arthritis but I try to ignore it.

This will be our first time on Carnival. We have cruised out of Baltimore on the Grandeur. On that ship, we were able to walk straight on to deck 1 without walking up that long & steep ramp. You don't have that option on the Pride? That was so convenient. I know to expect differences between the ships. I'm still expecting a great time, though.

Thanks for your review. It has answered some questions or concerns I had. I love going on CC to get ideas.

By the way, we are Donna & Jim.

Hi Jane! Enjoyed your review. Glad there were no calamities this time! ;)

I still haven't finished my review from 11/29! Must do that. :eek:

I do hope we get to eventually sail together. Would've been great if you two could've joined us on the Splendor Bermuda cruise.

I do love the Spirit-class ships, but it's a long-ish drive for me to Baltimore to "only" get to the Bahamas, and if I'm going to fly, I'd rather fly to Florida (or San Juan) and get much more interesting itineraries.

But for just a relaxation cruise, looks like you made a good choice. Hope Morgan's health holds up and you two get many more cruises together, whether active or relaxing!

Hi, Jane

Thank you so much for a great review. For me it was like "deja vu" of our June cruise for Rest and Relaxation. It was a doctor approved form of therapy for my husband who had a stroke. We had the cabin directly above you on Deck 8 for our cruise. I can remember my husband practicing his walking (with walker) on the "bowling alley" balcony.

He's doing well and has made such a great recovery that we are leaving in 18 days for our cruise of a lifetime, B2B on Pride, 21 days on two Journeys cruises.

It would be great to meet you one day, perhaps on another of your cruises. Stay healthy and don't let the Winter get you down. :D

Awesome review as usual, Jane. Sad I couldn't join you, but so fun to relive my trip on the Pride through you. I'm going to start working on mom and dad now to book Nov. 6, 2016! I hope Morgan is doing better and wish you both the best until next time!

-H

Hi H, yes, work on your folks to book. We MUST cruise together. Haven't seen you in action since the Breeze. I KNOW you have lots more moves now than you did then.

Happy New Year !

Are all of the balconies as large as the one in your photos?

Hello ctsharpie05, I hate to break it to you, but no, the other balconies are not like the one extended balcony we had. We always book a balcony, but the regular ones are not as wide nor as long. There are some extended balconies on each ship so check the deck plans to find them.

Hi Calamity Jane,

I really enjoyed reading your review. I have read some of your other reviews as well. I am a Delta Dear as well (from Hampton, VA) and I was happy to see that you and your husband are cruising again.

Hello Queen of Cruise, How nice to meet you, Soror. Thanks for reading and I'm glad you've enjoyed our adventures. Maybe one day we will sail together.

Happy New Year !

Hi, Jane

Thank you so much for a great review. For me it was like "deja vu" of our June cruise for Rest and Relaxation. It was a doctor approved form of therapy for my husband who had a stroke. We had the cabin directly above you on Deck 8 for our cruise. I can remember my husband practicing his walking (with walker) on the "bowling alley" balcony.

He's doing well and has made such a great recovery that we are leaving in 18 days for our cruise of a lifetime, B2B on Pride, 21 days on two Journeys cruises.

It would be great to meet you one day, perhaps on another of your cruises. Stay healthy and don't let the Winter get you down. :D

So happy to hear about your husband's recovery. What a wonderful way to celebrate with your B2B Journeys. Hope you'll come back and tell me all about them. Have a wonderful time.

Happy New Year !

• 8 months later...

Hello Jane

I'm new to CC and found you via Jamman54 reviews. Read this one and your Valor one so far. great reviews and good to have perspective of someone traveling with some challenges at times.

I'm fairly recently retired and enjoying my leisurely lifestyle now.

Went on a repositioning cruise of the Pride via Panama Canal a few years ago-definitely beautiful. Have been on the Valor and am going again in November.

Love your humor and can tell from your writing and other's comments that you are fun to be around.

You give loads of good tips.

Thanks again and enjoy your next cruise.

Ellen