Help with private guide to Cinque Terre

bhoffman

Where is you ship docking? Livorno? La Spezia? The Cinque Terre is quite some distance from Livorno & you would spend a good part of your day traveling to and from - La Spezia is much closer to the Cinque Terre - only about 30 minutes by train to the first village.

It may be easier to look for a driver, not a tour guide. There really is no need for a guide in Cinque Terre. It is not really a historical site where you need someone to interpret what you are seeing. You just experience the villages, travel between them, walk the villages…

I cannot help with the search - I have taken the train and spend a few days in CT - so I do not have experience with the short day trip.

I prearranged a group of us on italytoursharing.com last year (July).. Actually that was this year, lol... Right before we left we were notified that because of the influx of tours / guides, they were not allowed to come right in with the group. The guide dropped us and told us exactly what to do. It was we'll done. In fact I'm the guides friend on FB..haha..he was super nice!!

We were walked into the first town, given our train tickets and told if the meeting place and all instructions. I must have asked our fellow 10x where to go but he was so patient with me..I was very confident.

Sign up on your roll call. This is one tour that fills very quick ( 8 people). We left from Livorno and it was a perfect day!!

I prearranged a group of us on italytoursharing.com last year (July).. Actually that was this year, lol... Right before we left we were notified that because of the influx of tours / guides, they were not allowed to come right in with the group. The guide dropped us and told us exactly what to do. It was we'll done. In fact I'm the guides friend on FB..haha..he was super nice!!

We were walked into the first town, given our train tickets and told if the meeting place and all instructions. I must have asked our fellow 10x where to go but he was so patient with me..I was very confident.

Sign up on your roll call. This is one tour that fills very quick ( 8 people). We left from Livorno and it was a perfect day!!

I cannot help but feel that you were conned by your tour company. Have never heard of any restrictions on guides in the Cinque Terre villages (these are all pubic towns with public transportation). That being said, we have never seen the need for a professional guide at these villages (but we have traveled all over Italy by land and sea without guides). Ironically, we will be back in Livorno on a Sunday during April and are thinking that we might go back to Cinque Terre (Riomaggiore). But most likely we will just arrange for a pier-side delivery of a rental car and drive ourselves to Riomaggiore where we will park the car.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hi Hank,

During my research for our upcoming cruise, I've noticed your posts regarding simply renting a car at the port and heading to Cinque Terre on our own for the day which sounds absolutely perfect for us!

I've already talked to Sifracar and they were great, so this is our plan for the day.

We'll be in port from 7am - 7pm on Carnival Vista and this is only my 3rd cruise (and first time in Europe). We're confident and comfortable travelers, but new to cruising so I was hoping you wouldn't mind giving me a couple of specifics so that I have a better idea of what to expect.

I've read the drive takes 1.5 hours from Livorno to Riomaggiore, but what I am unsure about is roughly what time we'll need to be back on the ship in the evening. If we're in port from 7-7pm, do we have until 6:30ish to get back or do we need to be back by 5? We're just trying to figure out how much time in Cinque Terre we'll actually have to explore if we leave first thing in the morning and what time in the afternoon we should plan on heading back.

Thanks sooo much for any help or info you can offer!

Robin

Hi Hank,

During my research for our upcoming cruise, I've noticed your posts regarding simply renting a car at the port and heading to Cinque Terre on our own for the day which sounds absolutely perfect for us!

I've already talked to Sifracar and they were great, so this is our plan for the day.

We'll be in port from 7am - 7pm on Carnival Vista and this is only my 3rd cruise (and first time in Europe). We're confident and comfortable travelers, but new to cruising so I was hoping you wouldn't mind giving me a couple of specifics so that I have a better idea of what to expect.

I've read the drive takes 1.5 hours from Livorno to Riomaggiore, but what I am unsure about is roughly what time we'll need to be back on the ship in the evening. If we're in port from 7-7pm, do we have until 6:30ish to get back or do we need to be back by 5? We're just trying to figure out how much time in Cinque Terre we'll actually have to explore if we leave first thing in the morning and what time in the afternoon we should plan on heading back.

Thanks sooo much for any help or info you can offer!

Robin

When it comes to driving rental cars on a port day we recommend not ever cutting things too close. While you probably do not have to be back aboard until 6:30, you just cannot plan accurately for the time it takes to find and buy gas, possible traffic delays, getting lost etc. So if we are driving back from Riomaggiore directly to the ship (there are other options such as stopping in Pisa) we would generally want to be on the road no later than 4. The road between Riomaggiore and La Spezia is a windy 2 lane country road and you have to build in extra time in case there is an accident or breakdown that would cause delays. Once you get through La Spezia and onto the major Autostrade it is usually a fast/easy drive all the way to Livorno. With a GPS, getting back to the ship is easy. But if using maps, allow a little extra time in case you make a wrong turn or get lost.

Regarding Sifracar (the Livorno Hertz franchisee) we just corresponded with them today (because we need to rent a car in April) and their rates at still reasonable given that they deliver and pick-up right at the pier. For those interested their rates start at 90€ (for a small car with manual shift). A larger Mercedes or Peugeot with automatic is about 120€ and they also rent larger 7-8 passenger vans. So if you put 4 in a car your rental cost is no more then 30€ per person plus the cost of fuel and perhaps parking. Folks might want to compare these prices to excursion prices.

Hank

I cannot help but feel that you were conned by your tour company. Have never heard of any restrictions on guides in the Cinque Terre villages (these are all pubic towns with public transportation). That being said, we have never seen the need for a professional guide at these villages (but we have traveled all over Italy by land and sea without guides). Ironically, we will be back in Livorno on a Sunday during April and are thinking that we might go back to Cinque Terre (Riomaggiore). But most likely we will just arrange for a pier-side delivery of a rental car and drive ourselves to Riomaggiore where we will park the car.

Hank

I agree with Hank. You pay more for a "driver guide" than a "driver". So you may be getting sucked in to paying more. I'd be looking around for pricing for just a driver.

Hey hank,

No, I asked when I got into the towns ( without the guide) and they had put some sort of restriction on the tours or something ( it was so so crowded- July) .. I can't even remember omg..I'm getting old haha... Anyhow, like u said it was great on our own after he showed us everything to do as I'm directionally challenged...lol...

But having a driver, really lessens the stress of figuring out where to go, totally agree!

Hey hank,

No, I asked when I got into the towns ( without the guide) and they had put some sort of restriction on the tours or something ( it was so so crowded- July) .. I can't even remember omg..I'm getting old haha... Anyhow, like u said it was great on our own after he showed us everything to do as I'm directionally challenged...lol...

But having a driver, really lessens the stress of figuring out where to go, totally agree!

No offense, but I am still finding this hard to believe. I have never heard of it before. Who exactly did you ask about the situation in the towns? I think it much more likely that your "guide" was unlicensed.

As an aside, you seem quite chummy with this company and recommend them at every possible opportunity. One might wonder if all of your praise and recommendations are "unprompted".

Hey hank,

We are not doubting anything you say, but just doubting what you were told. Cinque Terre is simply 5 Villages located along a coastal area that are connected by a railroad line and various boats/ferries. There is no "control" to these villages other then on the hiking trails (that connect the villages with the exception of the still closed Lovers Walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola). While it would be possible to limit the vehicles entering a town or perhaps restrict the number of buses, there is just no feasible way to restrict guides. My goodness, I could simply call myself a guide, take a few folks, and how would anyone know or even care. When I drive into Riomaggiore it is simply a question of whether to park along the hilly entrance road (free) or pay to park in the parkling lot/garage area. There is no special test as to whether I am a guide or a tourist, no entrance gate to the villages, and no way for anyone to restrict guides (other then to block large buses). And we should further mention that if one village is particularly crowded it would be easy for any driver/guide to simply head to one of the other villages that also have parking (we have also driven to Monterosso where there is plenty of parking).

If you paid extra for a guide as opposed to just a driver, and the guide disappeared during your visit, then we think you were simply misled by the guide. They happily take the extra money (to function as a guide) and do nothing more then serve as a driver (with a few tour related comments). This is not much different then folks who hire a taxi driver, thinking they are also getting a guide, when they are simply getting a taxi driver who might add some "color" to the trip. Professional guides can be a very valuable addition to anyone's day, but in Italy there are an awful lot of "less than professional" guides who take advantage of tourists. We hope this is not what happened to you....but believe it is important to warn other readers here on CC.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

No offense, but I am still finding this hard to believe. I have never heard of it before. Who exactly did you ask about the situation in the towns? I think it much more likely that your "guide" was unlicensed.

As an aside, you seem quite chummy with this company and recommend them at every possible opportunity. One might wonder if all of your praise and recommendations are "unprompted".

Yes, maybe he was a driver and not a guide,,,,you could be correct..I'm not aware of the difference really as the drivers or guides I've used have all been great!!

Yes, I guess I do recommend AND use italytoursharing.com a lot but that is because I have been going on cruises now to Italy a few times.. I love it!! It is just who I have been using and they have been really great to deal with! I'm not sure what you mean by 'unprompted praising'. I live in Canada not Italy, lol..I would love to live in Italy. I especially love positano!!

I'm going to capri this year for the first time on my own before my cruise so if anyone has any great recommendations, love to hear it although not trying to hijack the thread.., honestly..I just try to be helpful as I am very passionate about Italy ( drives hubby crazy, lol)

Yes, maybe he was a driver and not a guide,,,,you could be correct..I'm not aware of the difference really as the drivers or guides I've used have all been great!!

Yes, I guess I do recommend AND use italytoursharing.com a lot but that is because I have been going on cruises now to Italy a few times.. I love it!! It is just who I have been using and they have been really great to deal with! I'm not sure what you mean by 'unprompted praising'. I live in Canada not Italy, lol..I would love to live in Italy. I especially love positano!!

I'm going to capri this year for the first time on my own before my cruise so if anyone has any great recommendations, love to hear it although not trying to hijack the thread.., honestly..I just try to be helpful as I am very passionate about Italy ( drives hubby crazy, lol)

Some taxi drivers hold themselves out to be guides...which in their minds means they are worthy of a lot more money (400€ a day is not unusual).

As to Capri, DW really loves that island. Just go and have a great time exploring, shopping (the home of 600€ ripped jeans) and eating. We have long recommended going up to Anacapri (you can do this cheaply on the local bus) and then taking the Chair Lift to the top of Mt Solaro where the views are amazing. The Chair Lift are single chairs and not for folks afraid of heights. It should be done in fair weather without a lot of wind.

Hank

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

On our recent stop in Livorno, we arranged for a tour through Papillon Tours due to the complexity of trying to get to Cinque Terre by train and the time frame we had to work with. At most of the other stops, we self-toured and used public transport which worked great however, it appears to be easier to get to Cinque Terre when you dock in La Spezia than if you dock in Livorno so we decided to spring for a tour/driver at this stop.

The guide took us to Portovenere and we took the ferry to several of the Cinque Terre towns but she took the van and met us at our last stop in Vernazza and then continued on to Pisa, as we wanted to see the Leaning Tower.

I can't see how the towns would be able to restrict guides from coming in, if someone opted to pay more for a guide to accompany them however, we did not see the need to pay the extra it would cost when we could read our travel guide and find out the basics. We did enjoy not having to worry about directions and getting around as well as the ins-and-outs of finding parking so it was well worth it, from our perspective, to learn about the area as we were driving and fill in the rest from our guide book.

If we had docked in La Spezia, we likely would have tried the train but we had a great experience with our tour and have nothing but good to say about our guide, Giulia.