Port of Hamburg

vwgolf

We are heading off on the Aurora tomorrow and spending New Year's Eve in Hamburg. I've neve been there before so I was just wondering how far from the city does the ship berth? Anyone know if it's walking distance or if it's the sort of place a shuttle may be laid on? Thanks.

We are heading off on the Aurora tomorrow and spending New Year's Eve in Hamburg. I've neve been there before so I was just wondering how far from the city does the ship berth? Anyone know if it's walking distance or if it's the sort of place a shuttle may be laid on? Thanks.

Sorry can't help - the nearest we've been was taking the train to Lubeck from Kiel when some of our travelling companions chose to do the train trip to Hamburg instead. I've had to look on a map - had no idea cruise ships could get down there! Looks very interesting. I'd love to hear your impressions of the transit to Hamburg also the city when you get back. It appeals to me.

We're very fond of Aurora. Have a great time. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

vwgolf - we are also off tomorrow on Aurora and understand that you can walk into the town but that there is also a ship's shuttle to the Rathaus (town hall).

At the moment, we are planning to walk into town, stopping off at the Miniaturwunderland and getting the shuttle back. Some people are doing exactly the opposite.

I also understand there is a Christmas market still at HafenCity until 11 pm New Years Eve.

Not long now :)

We are also ***** board with you tomorrow. As other people have said you can walk into the city

If anyone is interested; there is an Airbus factory in Hamburg which is close to the river. I saw some interesting Beluga coming in when I was there. I understand you can book a factory tour (various languages available) through the official Airbus website but you need to be 14+ and be in possession of your passport on the day.

Regards John

vwgolf - we are also off tomorrow on Aurora and understand that you can walk into the town but that there is also a ship's shuttle to the Rathaus (town hall).

At the moment, we are planning to walk into town, stopping off at the Miniaturwunderland and getting the shuttle back. Some people are doing exactly the opposite.

I also understand there is a Christmas market still at HafenCity until 11 pm New Years Eve.

Not long now :)

According to the Miniatur Wunderland website, due to the School holidays, waiting time today is running between 70-90 minutes.

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/visit/open/regular-opening-hours/

Thanks for the replies - glad I am not the only one sailing tomorrow! Just finished packing and am a little alarmed at finding what looks like a greasy stain on my dinner jacket! Ah well, too late to do anything about it now.