Explorations Cafe - Noordam vs Oosterdam

iflyrc5

We have been on the Noordam several times and enjoy using the Explorations Café. We are going to be on the Oosterdam in a few weeks. In looking at the deck plan for the Oosterdam it looks like the Explorations Café is in a different location and may be smaller than the one on the Noordam. It also appears that the Oosterdam has a "Screening room". Is this room used for showing movies? Would like to hear comments on the difference in the Explorations Café on these 2 ships.

We've been on the Oosterdam several times and enjoyed using the Explorations cafe near the Crows Nest.

We will be on the Noordam in a few weeks and it looks like the area is taken up by the Oakroom on her.

The screening room on the Oosterdam is where movies were shown when we were on board. It is quite a compact comfortable area.

I'm not able to make comparisons at this stage, but must say I did enjoy having Explorations near to the Crows Nest as it was lovely to have a coffee with a view!

Edited by Lis2065

Have sailed on both ships.

We really like the Explorations Café, Internet and Library locations on the Noordam better -- Deck 3 -- Promenade Deck. It is bigger -- 2 sections.

I don't like the Exploration's Café taking up viewing space in the Crow's Nest. JMO

Noordam's Oak Roam was closed most of the time when we were last on her. At one time it was a dedicated smoking room. She had doors that opened out onto the deck. But now there are cabins just to the rear of the Oak Room.

Noordam was the last ship to be built in the Vista Class.

Not all ships have the screening room -- where movies are shown. It has about only 30 seats -- very comfortable.

Agree with everything KK said.

We have been on both ships and, and prefer the location of the Explorations Cafe on the Noordam. Many of the ships, even in other classes, have the Explorations Cafe up in the Crow's Nest, like the Oosterstam does. There's nothing different about it per se, but IMHO it changes the atmosphere of the Crows Nest - it's more like a book store / coffee shop than night time spot.

It's not a huge deal, it wouldnt cause me to choose one ship over the other, but if I had my choice I strongly prefer the ships that have the Explorations Cafe in the public promenade decks, like the Noordam does.

The screening room on the Oosterdam is a comfortable place to watch movies. Ships without a screening room show movies in the Queens Lounge (if the ship has one), or you can watch them in your room. I am just off the Oosterdam and the screening room was popular.

I also agree with KK & WeLoveCruising. I have sailed on both and like the location on the Noordam much better than the location on the Oosterdam. To me, the Noordam location just has a better feel to it, without all the extra traffic for the Crows Nest that you get on the Oosterdam. It feels more like a library where you can sit and relax with a book on the Noordam, as I really didn't find a place to do that comfortably on the Oosterdam. I ended up in one of the viewing chairs for the Crows Nest while I was reading.

How does the selection of books in the library portion compare between the Noordam/Oosterdam and the S and R class ships? DW and I really enjoyed find new titles in the library during our recent voyages on the Statendam and the Veendam?

Have to go with NODM on this one; her Explorations Café was completely refurbished during dry-dock in April this year, getting a new hard wood floor section in front of the bar as well as new furniture. In addition, I like the Prom Deck location of it much better than the starboard side Obs Deck location on OSDM which runs into her Crow's Nest. YMMV ;)

I prefer the setup on Oosterdam, which also matches Zuiderdam, Westerdam, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. And based on deck plans it will be the same on Koningsdam too. The space is large ENOUGH and has amazing views up there so you can grab a book, a cup of coffee, do a crossword or whatever and have arguably the best views on the ship. Concerns were raised immediately when the top deck arrangement was announced, but a lot of that was centered around the fact that the HAL Cats played in the Crow's Nest at night and it would be a loud venue. They changed to just offering a pianist or solo guitarist in there and I think that could be a great accompaniment to a book and some amazing views.

Noordam's is definitely different but I consider it a colossal waste of space (For the record, I feel similarly about the S and R Class Explorations Cafe). It's simply TOO large. I think the space could be better used elsewhere and there's nothing amazing about having a book and looking out on the promenade deck watching power walkers drip sweat or some folks taking a nap in lounge chairs... Crow's Nest views are unobstructed.

As for the screening room, yes it's for movies. And a much better venue for it than the Queen's Lounge which shows movies otherwise.

Here's a picture of the space.

Holland-America-Oosterdam-Screening-Room.jpg

And here's a view of the Oosterdam Explorations Cafe. It's not showing all of it but it;'s one of the widest shots I can find online

This then opens up to the rest of the Crow's Nest with all of the seating along the windows as well as more tables and chairs throughout, some couches, etc

HAL-O-Dam-D10--Explorations-2.jpg

From the photo, the library section with bookshelves does not look as large as the same section on the R and S class ships. Can anyone comment on the number of books available in the Oosterdam library? Also my DW enjoys the "share a book" shelf that is available on all the other HAL ships we have been on (our eye doctors office even has one). Has anyone noticed this on the Oosterdam? DW is not an electronic book fan so she is trying to figure out how many books she may need to bring as we are doing a B2B2B2B and will be on board for 42 days. Any further information is appreciated.

From the photo, the library section with bookshelves does not look as large as the same section on the R and S class ships. Can anyone comment on the number of books available in the Oosterdam library? Also my DW enjoys the "share a book" shelf that is available on all the other HAL ships we have been on (our eye doctors office even has one). Has anyone noticed this on the Oosterdam? DW is not an electronic book fan so she is trying to figure out how many books she may need to bring as we are doing a B2B2B2B and will be on board for 42 days. Any further information is appreciated.

There's a good selection. You're probably right that S and R have more since the amount of space they dedicate to the venue is extreme. Yes we have seen the "share a book aka take one/leave one" section on previous cruises.

From the photo, the library section with bookshelves does not look as large as the same section on the R and S class ships. ..............................

You're correct! The Explorations Cafés on the remaining six "S" and "R" class vessels is much more open and has a lot more space than the EC's on the three of the Vista's, the two Signatures and, from what it appears, the new KODM

Edited by Copper10-8

We will be on the Noordam in March. Do I understand correctly that there is no screening room on her. Where do they show movies? We usually watch a movie during our cruise.

The movies last May on the Noordam were shown in the Queens Lounge/Culinary Arts Center.

Edited by Crew News

...Noordam's is definitely different but I consider it a colossal waste of space (For the record, I feel similarly about the S and R Class Explorations Cafe). It's simply TOO large. I think the space could be better used elsewhere and there's nothing amazing about having a book and looking out on the promenade deck watching power walkers drip sweat or some folks taking a nap in lounge chairs... Crow's Nest views are unobstructed.

The S and R class ships have the Explorations Cafe on the Upper Promenade deck, so they have unobstructed views... no power walkers, sweat drippers or nappers in your view.

You still may prefer the views from higher up from the Observation deck, many people do, as on O'dam. I prefer the open feel of the Explorations Café on Upper Promenade deck. m--

We will be on the Noordam in March. Do I understand correctly that there is no screening room on her. Where do they show movies? We usually watch a movie during our cruise.

Yes. WIth that new CC pgoto coverage of Noordam they even show the venue in "movie mode"

Here you go:

http://gallery.cruisecritic.com/ships/noordam-362/culinary-arts-center-at-the-queens-lounge-132004/movie-viewing--v7540507/

The S and R class ships have the Explorations Cafe on the Upper Promenade deck, so they have unobstructed views... no power walkers, sweat drippers or nappers in your view.

You still may prefer the views from higher up from the Observation deck, many people do, as on O'dam. I prefer the open feel of the Explorations Café on Upper Promenade deck. m--

Thanks for clarifying. That had slipped my mind for the S/R Class. Definitely a huge detriment IMO to Noordam's EC.

I have the same complaint about the upper level of the MDR on Vista/Signature Class ships... "Oh look at that. My dinner looks so amazing" and then you look out the window and there goes someone drenched in sweat :eek: that looks like they just jumped in the pool, clothes and all... "YUM!" :rolleyes:

Appreciate the correction though so the OP gets the most accurate info possible. :D