Belize

Young_cruiser17

Can anyone recommend an excursion to do in Belize? We've never been before and have read a lot of negative reviews. We aren't too picky about the excursion having to be booked through carnival, however we definitely want to stay safe. There are 7 of us; ages 17, 18, 40, 43, 60, & 61. The older ones may choose to stay on board during this port so it doesn't have to specifically be something that they're able to do as well.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an excursion, either. I say excursion because I've heard there isn't much to do in Belize without an excursion. However, if you can recommend something we can do on our own, I'm all ears!

We went to a Mayan ruins site, Altun Ha, through Carnival. Not bad, I've been to better sites. My friends did a beach excursion through Carnival. It picked them up at the ship (no tender rides), and the boat took them straight to the beach, and straight back to the ship afterwards. That's probably what I will do next time. Cave tubing doesn't sound appealing to me, but many people do really like that. This port is pretty much the only one where I recommend to everyone to go through the ship and not on your own.

Edited by k2excursion

I have been to Belize 4 times. It took me 4 times to finally try cave tubing and really enjoyed it more than I was expecting or I would have gone there first lol. The water is super clear, it was fun to walk through the rain forest etc. also had a good time when we just took the water taxi on our own to Caye Caulker.

First off, don't believe the bad reviews, unless anything that doesn't feel like the US makes you uncomfortable. There isn't anything about Belize that makes it any different from many of the other ports that Carnival goes to. And you will be and feel safe on any excursion (at least to the point where doing anything outside your home is safe)--either through Carnival or independent.

We did the Altun Hu ruins through Carnival. They're small and not really that impressive compared to some of the more famous ruins...but still nice. Plus, in Belize, you can actually walk on the ruins, unlike the ruins in Costa Maya, Mexico, where you can't. During the boat ride, our boat broke down, but they were able to get it going again after about 15 minutes.

While Belize is not my favorite place simply because of no beaches, we did a cave tubing excursion and it was a lot of fun. We went with cavetubingdotcom.

Enter the dot... It has great reviews... look on Trip Advisor and the Belize boards here. I have not read a bad review. Yhony is great! There was an 81 year old woman on the tour the day we went. The guides carried her piggyback:D they also carried many of the ladies inner tubes as we walked through the rainforest! Great people to go with!

We have had great times in Belize. We do a private tour "shark/Ray alley. If you are interested I will look up the company. It is a boat tour with snorkeling in two different places. One with small sharks. Lunch on Caye Caulker. Fresh lobster in the summer. Cute little island. They are a great crew and very helpful with snorkeling.

If nothing else, just go to the port and eat and drink at the "Wet Lizard". Goggle it and you will find a nice little bar on the second level of the shops in port where you can drink and eat, look out over the port and just relax.

Edited by HawkIVette

If nothing else, just go to the port and eat and drink at the "Wet Lizard". Goggle it and you will find a nice little bar on the second level of the shops in port where you can drink and eat, look out over the port and just relax.

Not sure if drinking Belikins work for a 17 and 18 year old.

OP, do look into cavetubing. There are private vendors that can even combine it with zip lining. If it's just the 2 youngest, you may have to reserve via one of the older person's name, but you'll most likely pay cash on day of excursion. And there'll be others along from either your ship or other ships in port with you. Have a great time.

We did that since we've been to the most other excursions and decided to just save a few bucks.....good wifi, so so service, crowded, but what do you expect with 4 ships in that little port.

We almost always go on our own and will do so in Belize in November. Having said that you should consider a ship excursion to Lamanai. It was one of the best excursions we have ever taken, ship sponsored or not. We did it in November 2014 and returned with our college aged kids in March and sent them. It's too far for us to feel comfortable doing with a private tour company but NCL handled it flawlessly. I highly recommend it.

Can anyone recommend an excursion to do in Belize? We've never been before and have read a lot of negative reviews. We aren't too picky about the excursion having to be booked through carnival, however we definitely want to stay safe. There are 7 of us; ages 17, 18, 40, 43, 60, & 61. The older ones may choose to stay on board during this port so it doesn't have to specifically be something that they're able to do as well.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an excursion, either. I say excursion because I've heard there isn't much to do in Belize without an excursion. However, if you can recommend something we can do on our own, I'm all ears!

We booked independently through Cavetubing dot bz - Vitalino Reyes (the owner) and his entire team provided an amazing excursion that included a home-cooked meal (outside, under a shaded canopy) at his home. Unlike other similar cavetubing experiences, we did not have to carry our tubes on the "hike" (mostly flat, and through a beautiful forest, took about 25 minutes to walk) - It was amazing! For reference we are 2 women, I'm in my 50s and my friend in her 60s. I'm more fit than she is, and we BOTH loved every moment of the excursion. :)

the Mayan ruins in Belize are beyond amazing.

Lamanai and Xunantunich are both a long way from the ships, so it is a lot of riding on the bus. You really should do one of these if you can.

Altun Ha is smaller than those and closer into town, so shorter bus ride.

If not, the other thing that Belize is famous for is the cave tubing and zipline tours.

Snorkeling can be good, also.

You can't really do anything in port but shop a little or drink in bars. Book a tour, you won't be disappointed.

Belize exotic adventures is an wonderful family owned and operated tour company. We used them to go to the Belize zoo (an animal rescue center and well worth the trip to get there). Nickoli gave us a city tour and water and lunch was provided. One of the best days ever-- petting the tabirs and holding a huge snake. Nickoli knows the zoo well and where the animals hang out so we saw them all. We enjoyed seeing the country and hearing about life there from nickoli. Great for children.

We have had great times in Belize. We do a private tour "shark/Ray alley. If you are interested I will look up the company. It is a boat tour with snorkeling in two different places. One with small sharks. Lunch on Caye Caulker. Fresh lobster in the summer. Cute little island. They are a great crew and very helpful with snorkeling.

We'd love to know about it if you can remember their name. Did they have their own boat to leave from the port terminal, or did you have to take the water taxi to meet them?