alaska, inside or partial obstructed

righthand1

We are a family of 4 with 2 small boys (4 and 6 years old). We are booking on the Norwegian Sun from Vancouver to Seward at the end of August. Right now we are booked on a mid ship inside stateroom(highest category for inside room type), mainly due to size and cost.

We are debating if we should change to an ocean view room. The partially obstructed porthole will be $200 more. The picture window room is about $700 more. The ocean view room seems to be a bit smaller, cost more, but with view which is something to consider since we will be in Alaska. I was thinking may be we should switch to a partially obstructed one, but not sure. I tried to check the photo online on several sites, but still not sure how obstructed those particular rooms might be.

We (the parents) cruised to the Caribbean a few times in inside staterooms and felt no need for the view inside the cabins. But would we regret not having a room with some view on an Alaska cruise? Would they announced something so we know to go outside of the room to the deck if there are something of particular interest?

Any comment please? Thank you so much in advance.

We stayed in a room with a small window. It was hard to see. We missed that balcony. We kept running from deck to deck trying to find a place to stand to.see the glaciers. That was when I vowed to never cruise again without a balcony. The views were beautiful but we missed so much. Others will say you can just view everything from the deck. Try doing that with 2000 people in front of you.

Here is a link to a thread from 2013 where someone asked about Norwegian Sun oceanview staterooms. I posted some photos that may be of help to you. I think the "obstructed" oceanview category on the Sun are a really good value. Just a few steps to the promenade deck where your boys can run off some steam.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1876641&highlight=ncl+sun+oceanview

Here is a photo of the promenade deck outside of the obstructed view staterooms. The round holes are the porthole windows looking out onto the promenade deck. This area is closed off at night so you don't have people walking by your cabin.

90d4af18-a244-4a93-8bd2-333354a1505b_zpsoqacgt3j.jpg

The ocean view rooms might be better, but to be honest, your best views of things are going to be from the public areas of the ship. Our experience with OV rooms is that the window is often difficult to see out of if there has been any "weather" that has splashed water on the window. If you are happy with the inside rooms you previously took I would stay there if it is larger, and plan to spend time in the ship's public areas for your sight-seeing.

A balcony step up would definitely be worth it if you find prices OK at some point. The balcony allows you to step outside to see the sights, and then duck back in the cabin when you get cold. But if you can't swing it, then the inside will take you everywhere a balcony will, and you will be up on deck or in the ship's public areas more.

Alaska is a great cruise and your family will have a blast!

We are a family of 4 with 2 small boys (4 and 6 years old). We are booking on the Norwegian Sun from Vancouver to Seward at the end of August. Right now we are booked on a mid ship inside stateroom(highest category for inside room type), mainly due to size and cost.

We are debating if we should change to an ocean view room. The partially obstructed porthole will be $200 more. The picture window room is about $700 more. The ocean view room seems to be a bit smaller, cost more, but with view which is something to consider since we will be in Alaska. I was thinking may be we should switch to a partially obstructed one, but not sure. I tried to check the photo online on several sites, but still not sure how obstructed those particular rooms might be.

We (the parents) cruised to the Caribbean a few times in inside staterooms and felt no need for the view inside the cabins. But would we regret not having a room with some view on an Alaska cruise? Would they announced something so we know to go outside of the room to the deck if there are something of particular interest?

I wouldn't go with an obstructed view or port hole. I know price is a consideration, but Alaska is truly a once in a lifetime cruise. If you can find a deal on a balcony cabin by all means do it. The views are amazing and you will never feel closer to nature.

There's really nothing quite like sitting on your balcony looking for whales, or sailing past the majestic mountains and glaciers.

There's really nothing quite like sitting on your balcony looking for whales, or sailing past the majestic mountains and glaciers.

How about sitting with other friendly cruisers in easy chairs on the pool deck drinking "cheap" booze and trying to outdo each other to be the first to spot the wildlife!!

Mike

I have stayed in an obstructed view room on the Sun and loved it.

It is a great bargain and a good option.

If you cannot afford a balcony, I would not try and get an OV.

Either stick with the inside or get the obstructed cabins on deck 6.

The proximity to the promenade and everything else is great.

They are also down a dead end, so not a high traffic area.

but Alaska is truly a once in a lifetime cruise.

No it isn't. I've been four times and going again in September.

Regarding public areas... Alaska is cold. People like to view the nature and wildlife. They tend to do so from the inside places... like the fwd Observation Lounge, or seats around the buffet. In our experience, people tend to get to those locations early and camp there all day -- think Glacier Bay day. People movers are parked all over and people are loud and... well, I don't find that very enjoyable. Personally, we cruise in an aft PH suite. Mostly so we can avoid the throngs of people trying to get a spot. I'm not saying its always like that, but some of it is, and I (we) don't enjoy that sort of thing. I don't know how well OP and their kids will do dealing with that.

That said, I'm not suggesting OP step up to a PH suite. But as others have said, a step to a balcony is worth it for Alaska. Even fwd OVs on Deck 6 are nice. They really are a few quick steps away from the Promenade deck. Stayed in one years ago on the Sun and loved that spot.

In the Caribbean, there's not much to see but ocean after leaving port, so an inside is fine for that. But Alaska is different. There's always something to see. If you don't think you'll be getting back to Alaska in your lifetime, step up a bit so you can enjoy the experience.

.... just my thoughts.

Edit: tried taking pictures from the Spinnaker. Here's what I got.

alaska-blocked-view1.jpg

And the same area from our balcony...

alaska-view1.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

The only thing I learned from the spiel about cruises while I was on the Epic was if you sail to Alaska, do it on a balcony on the port side.

I disagree. We were starboard aft PH on the Jewel to Alaska and LOVED it. Admittedly, aft is less confining than, say, a mid-ship balcony, but there's something to see no matter which side of the ship you're on. As another poster stated, you can find a place somewhere to see what you want to see. It is ultimately a matter of preference, but we never felt that we were missing out. We also were rather comfortable, due to little wind.

No it isn't. I've been four times and going again in September.

Regarding public areas... Alaska is cold. People like to view the nature and wildlife. They tend to do so from the inside places... like the fwd Observation Lounge, or seats around the buffet. In our experience, people tend to get to those locations early and camp there all day -- think Glacier Bay day. People movers are parked all over and people are loud and... well, I don't find that very enjoyable. Personally, we cruise in an aft PH suite. Mostly so we can avoid the throngs of people trying to get a spot. I'm not saying its always like that, but some of it is, and I (we) don't enjoy that sort of thing. I don't know how well OP and their kids will do dealing with that.

That said, I'm not suggesting OP step up to a PH suite. But as others have said, a step to a balcony is worth it for Alaska. Even fwd OVs on Deck 6 are nice. They really are a few quick steps away from the Promenade deck. Stayed in one years ago on the Sun and loved that spot.

In the Caribbean, there's not much to see but ocean after leaving port, so an inside is fine for that. But Alaska is different. There's always something to see. If you don't think you'll be getting back to Alaska in your lifetime, step up a bit so you can enjoy the experience.

.... just my thoughts.

Edit: tried taking pictures from the Spinnaker. Here's what I got.

alaska-blocked-view1.jpg

And the same area from our balcony...

alaska-view1.jpg

I sailed in an Aft Penthouse on Pearl a few years ago and it was simply incredible. I'm jealous you've been 4 times!

It was my bucket list cruise. Is it possible to have two buckets? I want to go again!

We did an ocean view cabin on our Alaskan cruise and I'd say it wouldn't be worth paying much extra. We looked out the window very little and it wasn't clear enough to take pics. Of course a balcony would have been nice but was out of our budget. We spent a lot of time looking out all over the ship inside and out. I didn't feel the least bit deprived. We were there in May which is colder so I wore a sweater or jacket most of the time for zipping outside when we saw something.

Have a wonderful time!

I'm pretty sure a penthouse is not in the OP's budget.

Not the point...the point was the views are available all over the ship and the person I quoted indicated that port was the best side. I'm arguing that any side is the best side. Just going to Alaska made me happy. Going there on a cruise made it even more incredible. We walked all over the ship and saw something from every deck. There were a couple of times we had great seating near a window at dinner and got distracted by the view. Even the views from the treadmill in the fitness room were impressive.

To the OP, as you know, there is a lot of valuable information available from your friends here at CC. Ultimately, you have to decide if obstructed is worth the $$. That will depend on how you think you'll use your room, especially with young kids. The pictures posted of the obstructed oceanview looks like a nice location. Good luck choosing!

If you're not going to get a balcony, then you might as well stay with an inside.

The Sun's cabins are some of the biggest in the fleet. If you are going to do an inside look for the sideways cabins, you will feel like you have more room. (I don't know if they will sleep 4)

Also, SUN has great observation areas fore and aft and the promenade deck goes all the way around so you have that advantage as well.

Have a wonderful cruise, stick with the inside and save the cruise fare and splurge on some nifty shore excursions!

Thank you very much for all the great inputs. I really appreciate all the help. I think we will either do the inside or pay additional $260 for the obstructed OV, but probably not more at this point. (Regular OV does not seem to justify the price increase.) Sounds like we should be just fine with an inside room, but I agreed that the obstructed OV seems to be quite a good value and is worth considering.

To Kjquilts - For the picture of the promenade deck outside of the room that you posted, is that looking towards the front of the ship on the starboard side? The available rooms on that area right now are those further from the front, and I wonder if the roof covers all the way there or there would be a bit more open space (i.e less obstructed)?

Thank you so much for all the help.

So you are in an Inside cabin or somewhat obstructed view cabin - you really

are not blindsided about what is coming up. Tune the cabin TV to I believe to

Channel 2 and watch the navigation of the ship. Frequently if the audio is

turned up you will hear announcements from time to time about whales and

other wild life visiable with and without binoculars (remember to bring them

if you have them). When in the vicinity of the glaciers (Glacier Bay) a National

Park Ranger is often onboard with narration of where you are and what you

are seeing. The Captain will order his crew to bring the ship around in a full

circle so everyone from one end of the ship to the other will see this - Now

yes you are in an Inside cabin so you will have to go up on deck somewhere

(scout this out leaving Vancouver to locate the best viewing spots) to see

the sights; whales; ports; glaciers and other features monutains etc.

There is a booklet that is available in the ships gift shop of the mile by mile

voyage from Vancouver to Seward and the reverse (around $20) and if

sold out visit the Guest Registration Desk in the Atrium - NCL usually has

one on display outlined with the travel for that days journey. With the

booklet and the cabin TV you should have great orientation of what is coming

into view for that day of the cruise. The booklet also has a lot of historical

data.

The NCL SUN is a small ship compared to the newer BA-GA-EPIC-ESCAPE

class ships but the deck viewing area is outstanding especially the forward

Observation Lounge on Deck 12. The best place to be is on the highest deck

(13) where you can rapidly shift from Port to Starboard and back to view the

sights.

If the weather is nasty try the Promenade Deck 6 (Running jogging track)

sheltered all the way around (the bow end goes thru a tunnel - no droids to

see here). All in all there is plenty of room for everyone to take their photos

selfies and the ships speed when in the viewing and port areas is slow enough

that you have time to do a bunch of instant replays.

The convenience of having a balcony cabin is as stated by the previous posters

not having to run all over the ship (and dressing for whatever the weather

brings) - BUT factor unless it is a forward (bow) or aft (stern) cabin you will be

only seeing one side of the action. Also if in an OV Ocean view cabin the

Alaska weather does not permit daily window washings of your OV cabin

window - also the windows don't open either !

If you booked your cruise thru a TA travel Agent keep in touch and see if maybe

the upgrade fairy can work a deal for a better cabin at minimal cost !

If you booked thru NCL call and talk to one of their representatives - drop a

hint - while the Alaska trips are always heavy there is the possibility at the

last minute for anything to happen !

And if you are lover of soft serve ice cream (milk) it is located on Deck 11 in

the aft of the ship inside The Great Outdoors Cafe.

Now I am going to STOP right here and not give away anymore secrets !

The fun part is finding out these things for yourself !

Have a great cruise and "May the Force be with you" !

To Kjquilts - For the picture of the promenade deck outside of the room that you posted, is that looking towards the front of the ship on the starboard side? The available rooms on that area right now are those further from the front, and I wonder if the roof covers all the way there or there would be a bit more open space (i.e less obstructed)?

The promenade deck is covered the entire length.

On an Alaska cruise I would never consider anything under a Balcony. Unlike a Caribbean cruise (where many spend little time in the room) spending time on the balcony and watching the beauty of Alaska is something that can not be missed. I would find a way to upgrade to a balcony, you will not be sorry.

6&8

Thank you very much for all the great inputs. I really appreciate all the help. I think we will either do the inside or pay additional $260 for the obstructed OV, but probably not more at this point. (Regular OV does not seem to justify the price increase.) Sounds like we should be just fine with an inside room, but I agreed that the obstructed OV seems to be quite a good value and is worth considering.

That photo is of the Promenade Deck walking/jogging track on the Starboard

side forward - looking forward making a left turn to enter the tunnel to the

Port side.

The Promenade Deck is pretty much sheltered except for the portion under

the life boats midship. Vertical precipitation should not be of concern - the

horizontal wind blown stuff could be a bother - but unless you are a die-hard

walker you would not be out in that stuff anyway. The tunnel is the only area

that does not have a view. The aft end of the Promenade Deck is open with

structural steel supports spaced much like those in the photo. Pause here

to hear the thunder and see the wake turbulence of the screws propelling the

SUN - very impressive.