dining package and a la carte

hlb76

how is it going to work with the new dining package? I'm new to this either way but its confusing for me. I got the dining package as a promo if that makes a difference. I'm just worried I will go to eat and end up with a huge bill :cool: We dont sail until March so hopefully someone reports back on how its all working out.

The consistent response is that if you use your dining package to cover a meal in an a la carte specialty restaurant, then what is included at no additional charge to you is multiple appetizers, sides (at Cagney's) and desserts as well as one entree.

I'm not sure if any of the responses have come from people who have actually done this.

My sailing is the first sailing of the Jade after the a la cart menus are effective on that ship, so I will be asking before my first dinner.

The consistent response is that if you use your dining package to cover a meal in an a la carte specialty restaurant, then what is included at no additional charge to you is multiple appetizers, sides (at Cagney's) and desserts as well as one entree.

That seems to be the general consensus. All I can find is that it seems to include only 1 main, nothing else seems to be actually quoted.

But the way things are going I expect a change/changes!!

Mike

Your dining package will cover the standard restaurants that will have moved to a la carte pricing. You may or may not be able to order multiple appetizers/deserts. But I never understood that anyway. Why order more food than necessary just because it's allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your dining package will cover the standard restaurants that will have moved to a la carte pricing. You may or may not be able to order multiple appetizers/deserts. But I never understood that anyway. Why order more food than necessary just because it's allowed.

I presume you mean "Specialty" not the "MDR"s where there will be some a la carte items.

Personally I invariably have 2 appetizers and no dessert.

Mike

I'm another that didn't always get dessert, but would enjoy two appetizers.

Funny how sometimes you had to teach the waitstaff when to bring what!! Most though were very good asking which you would like first. The odd one would bring two hot ones at the same time; one then got cool if not cold. All in all no real complaints.

My wife only had one and was happy to talk while I had my second!! When she got her "real" dessert I was able to enjoy a coffee and "crackers and cheese". They are not on the menu but I have never been refused when ordered. Often I had to ask they be brought together at the same time her dessert came.

Again no complaints, the staff soon learned my peculiar ways!!!

Mike

Here are our bills from Cagney's under the new a la carte menu. This is for 2 people. We paid $0 for the food, even though the totals were $109 and $90. (Ignore the $20 charge you see. That was for drinks, and it was also zeroed out since we had UBP.) We had the 4 day SDP on Escape.

B3D7BD2E-9C57-447F-B815-2D0252ABC4FC_zpsjtj55amu.jpg

Edited by LrgPizza

I'm not sure if any of the responses have come from people who have actually done this.

Lots and lots and lots of responses have come from people who have actually done this. This is about the 5th time I've posted my receipts since people still tend to not believe first hand accounts.

I'll believe you without seeing receipts :) I just wasn't sure if the responders were those who read about it or those who actually DID it. Now I just need to be sure that the people on the Jade get it right the first week. :)

The people on the Escape got it right the first week, when no one on any ship had ever done it before. I'm sure the Jade staff can handle it. Enjoy! :)

Here are our bills from Cagney's under the new a la carte menu. This is for 2 people. We paid $0 for the food, even though the totals were $109 and $90. (Ignore the $20 charge you see. That was for drinks, and it was also zeroed out since we had UBP.) We had the 4 day SDP on Escape.

Just Curious...

How was the "Surf and Turf" ?? We are thinking of getting it.

Thanks for this... it's the first time I had seen it. Puts my mind at ease some.

It was good. I had it both nights. It was 1/2 of a whole lobster and a 6oz filet (that I think was probably more like 8oz.)

I was going to get that one night - I didn't realize it was "whole" lobster instead of lobster tail - I need to figure out how to eat that - guess I'll be checking you tube or google :)

I was going to get that one night - I didn't realize it was "whole" lobster instead of lobster tail - I need to figure out how to eat that - guess I'll be checking you tube or google :)

You don't really eat anything but the tail and claws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the idea of the "SDP" that since one can only have it for a certain number of nights of the cruise, that if someone is then still inclined to eat at specialty restaurants for the remainder of the cruise, then they're basically stuck with having to order "a la carte"?

We had the no longer available UDP on our last cruise, and ate at specialties all 7 nights. (Although on previous cruises we enjoyed MDR as well). When I started reading about the specialties we like going "a la carte" it actually really bummed me out, since having everything included up front was very appealing. But now that I see how the SDP works in those venues - doesn't look too bad!!

Is the idea of the "SDP" that since one can only have it for a certain number of nights of the cruise, that if someone is then still inclined to eat at specialty restaurants for the remainder of the cruise, then they're basically stuck with having to order "a la carte"?

We had the no longer available UDP on our last cruise, and ate at specialties all 7 nights. (Although on previous cruises we enjoyed MDR as well). When I started reading about the specialties we like going "a la carte" it actually really bummed me out, since having everything included up front was very appealing. But now that I see how the SDP works in those venues - doesn't look too bad!!

You can purchase the dining package for the same number nights as your cruise. Or if you get it as a perk and received the SDP for three nights on a seven day cruise, you could purchase the SDP for the other 4 nights at the cost of $74 plus the 18% auto gratuity (which would be $21.83 per meal), so you don't ever have to pay the a la carte pricing if you don't want to at Cagney's, Le Bistro or La Cucina. Edited by NLH Arizona

You can purchase the dining package for the same number nights as your cruise. Or if you get it as a perk and received the SDP for three nights on a seven day cruise, you could purchase the SDP for the other 4 nights at the cost of $74 plus the 18% auto gratuity (which would be $21.83 per meal), so you don't ever have to pay the a la carte pricing if you don't want to at Cagney's, Le Bistro or La Cucina.

I didn't realize you could purchase the extra nights. Ok, not the "UDP", but still not a bad deal!!

I didn't realize you could purchase the extra nights. Ok, not the "UDP", but still not a bad deal!!

You can only purchase it during the first 2 days of the cruise so you have to know in advance how many days you want to eat in a specialty restaurant.

It is pretty much the same deal as the UDP, except one can not eat in more than one specialty restaurant per day with the SDP, where they could with the UDP. You can purchase it on line prior to your cruise. Edited by NLH Arizona

I noticed that you had the UDP, does this work the same way for the SDP?