Oh My Gosh...90 Days To Go

Lois R

I cannot imagine it will be warm enough for capris unless there is an unprecedented heatwave. I wore cords and leggings for our mid April tulip cruise and an all weather coat with zip out lining - which remained zipped in.:)

This might be handy for you to reference as you prepare: http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/1386-amsterdam-weather-in-april

What a great link:) thank you!....long pants for sure then!...I will pack

jeans too......long sleeves for the daytime too. I don't even own a coat

but I do have jackets. Looks like no capri's needed. It is definitely cool

during the day. Avgs in the 50's!

I was assuming mid-50's in mid-April and will be pleasantly surprised if we get warmer weather. Lois, I've stayed at the banks Mansion (3 years ago with my daughter) and it's wonderful. The rooms are a little tight, so I've been wondering whether it's a good option for my mom and me, but I may book there as well. We leave NY on the 12th, arrive on the 13th and board on the 14th. It's a little tight, but I'm hoping she'll be ok. Enjoy the late afternoon wine and cheese in the lobby - it's wonderful! Also, great breakfast room. I wish I could remember the name, but there's a wonderful little second floor restaurant around the corner from the hotel. Crossing my fingers that spring comes a little early so the tulip fields are in bloom by the time we get there.

Made final payment and booked 2 Limited Edition Tours too:D

Going to Keukenhof Gardens and booked a "Chocolate, Waffles and Beer"

tour;)

I will book the rest of the tours once I board the ship.:)

How exciting! I'm one payment away from done too. I can't wait to see what extra tours are available on ours. So excited for you! I hope you have a ball.

Can't wait to hear about it.

Made final payment and booked 2 Limited Edition Tours too:D

Going to Keukenhof Gardens and booked a "Chocolate, Waffles and Beer"

tour;)

No need to book any tours and you cannot actually do so unless you are choosing an extra cost tour (if any are offered on your cruise) or Limited Edition. On AMA, you just decide at the time what you want to do and go to reception and take a color coded card.

Never mind - I figured it out. I noticed that the Keukenhoff Tour replaces the Canal Cruise on Day 2 and the general tour to the Gardens is still on the morning of Day 7. Does anyone know what the difference is? I'm inclined to give the tulips the extra week to bloom before our visit, but if there's any reason to take the limited edition tour (which appears to be scheduled for the morning of Day 2, given what it replaces) as well? Or am I just completely confused?

How did you book the limited edition tours? I couldn't access the link after our final payment was made and I checked in for the cruise.

There is a link for the limited edition tours once you have made final payment and if they are offered. Sometimes they are not offered until closer to sailing. I would keep checking back.

LOL:D.....Belgium Chocolates.....Belgium Waffles and oh yes, beer too:)

In a setting filled with gorgeous flowers......life doesn't get any better than that!!! :D

Only thing I would add is if an excursion to Aalsmeer is available, it was worth it.

Edited by Hydrokitty

One thing you should remember on this itinerary is watch out for bicycles and cable cars. Especially in Amsterdam. The bicyclists have the right of way and they have no patience for tourists. Other than that it seems like you have it covered. We went in July and it was unseasonably cold 59F and rainy that week. Of course none of us packed gloves but you should definitely and a hat of some kind.

...The bicyclists have the right of way and they have no patience for tourists...
Yep, when you are on a crowded walk way and are thinking about using that nice open area beside you, think again or you WILL be hit by a speeding bike - hasn't happened to me, but I've seen it happen several times.

Yep, when you are on a crowded walk way and are thinking about using that nice open area beside you, think again or you WILL be hit by a speeding bike - hasn't happened to me, but I've seen it happen several times.

and not only will they hit you with their bike, then they'll curse at you for getting in their way!!!! It's kind of like trying to cross the street in Cairo or Istanbul or Moscow.....pedestrians have NO rights at any time....but meet that same person in a restaurant and they'll be as nice and helpful and charming as can be! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Thanks for the tips.....I will keep the bicyclists in mind:eek:...and will try

to keep out of their way.

I am not a hat gal and don't even own any.;)

What is Aalsmeer? I guess I could Google it.

Thanks for the tips.....I will keep the bicyclists in mind:eek:...and will try

to keep out of their way.

I am not a hat gal and don't even own any.;)

What is Aalsmeer? I guess I could Google it.

Aalsmeer is the flower auction that takes place every morning. The building is enormous and you can walk around the top looking down on everything. The flowers are brought to the auction in what look like mining cars and are pullled by mini-tractors. The buyers sit in a seperate enclosed area and watch a giant clock, which counts down the time and announces the winner of the auction for that lot. The flowers are then taken from the floor directly to the airport for loading and delivery. It doesn't sound like much when you write out a description, but if you're a flower lover, the sight of all these trains filled with all kinds of flowers in every color imaginable will be unforgettable. We did it with Vantage as an optional excursion on the morning of our day at Keukenhoff. It's always a morning excursion because the auction ends before Noon. It's also a great place to buy bulbs and they ship. Hope this helps. :D

I'm still confused by the Limited Edition Keukenhoff tour on Day 2 and the regular tour on day 7. Is there any reason to forego the canal cruise and take the Limited Edition tour? Do we see something other than what we would see at the end of the cruise? perhaps the auction? Thanks!

I'm still confused by the Limited Edition Keukenhoff tour on Day 2 and the regular tour on day 7. Is there any reason to forego the canal cruise and take the Limited Edition tour? Do we see something other than what we would see at the end of the cruise? perhaps the auction? Thanks!

Sorry, I do't think I can help you because the trip I was on (Vantage) included a guided tour and lecture and then rest of the day free at Keukenhof. We also had the canal cruise included as well. All I can tell you is what I experienced.

First of all, the canal cruise is very interesting and if the weather is good, it's a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours.

Not knowing what the Limited Edition Keukenhof tour is on your trip, I can only say the lecture and tour we had was informative and interesting about the tulip wars (there really was such a thing) and how the plants are grafted to form new colors and varieties, how the gardens are chosen, etc.... being a tulip lover but not a professional tulip grower..... if I had to choose between the lecture or the canal cruise, I would choose the canal cruise.

OTOH, if the only way you can do the Keuk is on the Limited Edition tour and you're there mid-April to mid-May, the Keuk is not to be missed. The flowers are astounding in their beauty.

I just checked out your itinerary and unless you're talking about a tour that's not listed in the itinerary, I can't see where your conflict is. You have the canal tour before departing Amsterdam and the Keukenhof upon return. If this is an optional tour to Keukenhof, it would appear that it is separate and apart from your included tour. In which case, I would take the canal cruise and read about the history of the gardens and the tulips.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I wanted to change my post but my time to do so was up :eek: The Aalsmeer flower auction is not at Keukenhof gardens and is really not related to it, so I'm inclined to think that is not the Limited Edition they're talking about... but I haven't cruised with AMA so you really have to check your itinerary carefully and ask when you get on board.

I don't think the "Limited Edition" tours show up on the website except for booked guests. Could you paste the description on this thread? Then folks who have taken the regular tour will be able to compare and contrast [do teachers still say that???]

This is the description of the Limited Edition Keukenhoff Tour (5 hours - replacing the AMSTERDAM Canal Cruise & City Tour on the morning of the first full day):

Enjoy a visit to the spectacular Keukenhof Gardens, which has literally millions of tulips planted across a 70-acre park. Begin your tour with a guided orientation walk, followed by free time to explore the gardens and the indoor pavilion at your leisure.

Then, on the last day the itinerary includes:

Admire the spectacular display of millions of flowering tulips during your morning excursion to the famous 70-acre Keukenhof Gardens.

Perhaps it's the length of the visit? The morning versus 5 hours? Advice, opinions? I'm thinking, depending on the weather, the later we get to Keukenhoff in April (the 20th vs. the 15th) the better in terms of blooms, but maybe that's shortsighted.

Edited by westchestermom

This is the description of the Limited Edition Keukenhoff Tour (5 hours - replacing the AMSTERDAM Canal Cruise & City Tour on the morning of the first full day):

Enjoy a visit to the spectacular Keukenhof Gardens, which has literally millions of tulips planted across a 70-acre park. Begin your tour with a guided orientation walk, followed by free time to explore the gardens and the indoor pavilion at your leisure.

Then, on the last day the itinerary includes:

Admire the spectacular display of millions of flowering tulips during your morning excursion to the famous 70-acre Keukenhof Gardens.

Perhaps it's the length of the visit? The morning versus 5 hours? Advice, opinions? I'm thinking, depending on the weather, the later we get to Keukenhoff in April (the 20th vs. the 15th) the better in terms of blooms, but maybe that's shortsighted.

Your description of the Limited Edition tour sounds a lot like the one we had with Vantage. It was interesting, but I would pass it up in favor of the canal cruise unless you plan on being in Amsterdam again. (It poured rain the first time we were there, but the second time was perfect) Depending on what time you leave and return for the "morning tour" it could easily be 4 hours. (The walking tour and lecture took about an hour). I would say we had about 4 hours to tour the gardens after the lecture and if you walk slowly but generally keep moving you will be able to see the entire 70 acres. We did and we had time for a quick soup lunch as well....in a beautiful cafeteria over-looking the fountain and pond. Keep in mind that the plantings are exquisite....there really are no words to do them justice.....BUT they can be repetitive so it's not like touring a museum where you can easily lose 30 minutes staring at a painting. As for the time difference, 5 days shouldn't matter that much....if it was 2 weeks I'd be more concerned. Of course, the later you go the warmer it should be...but there's no guarantee.

BTW and this is only my opinion....I'm guessing you're from Westchester, NY....if so and you've been to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens or the Longwood Gardens....you can skip the greenhouse....it's mostly orchids and beautiful tropical plants, but lets face it, you're there to see the tulips and daffodils not orchids in a hothouse..' ..I'm just sayin

Edited by Hydrokitty