Empress of the Seas

Yes. It's terrible. We cruised on Empress right before she was transferred and it was miserable back then. No way I would ever consider sailing on this ship again after cruising with so many of the newer luxuries. The pool is so tiny people are like sardines in a can!

Yes. It's terrible. We cruised on Empress right before she was transferred and it was miserable back then. No way I would ever consider sailing on this ship again after cruising with so many of the newer luxuries. The pool is so tiny people are like sardines in a can!

Now that reminds me of the NCL Epic.

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/royal-caribbean-to-bring-empress-of-the-seas-to-miami/

This implies that she'll have more than 1 - maybe just 1 open pool and 1 in the Solarium? That would be more than the Fascination & Imagination did when I was on them a while back.

No Solarium on Empress.

She's in dry-dock now :p they seem to be keeping things hush hush about what to expect.

"Empress of the Seas will offer signature features including a rock-climbing wall for adrenaline seekers; new pools and whirlpools, including an adults-only Solarium; a Vitality Spa with an extensive treatment menu; and a complimentary Adventure Ocean youth program."

She's in dry-dock now :p they seem to be keeping things hush hush about what to expect.

"Empress of the Seas will offer signature features including a rock-climbing wall for adrenaline seekers; new pools and whirlpools, including an adults-only Solarium; a Vitality Spa with an extensive treatment menu; and a complimentary Adventure Ocean youth program."

I understand what the article says, which is taken directly from the Royal Caribbean press release, but all of the upgrades that I am aware of are stated on Empress' webpage on the Royal Caribbean website. Post-drydock deck plans are also available. Unfortunately, these do not include a solarium. Honestly, we have to wait and see.

This is from an excerpt about what to expect with the Empress of the Seas:

The ship will offer a rock-climbing wall, new pools and whirlpools including an adults-only Solarium and varied dining options, from the casual Windjammer Café to fine dining at the brand’s signature steak house, Chops Grille.

The ship is not in dry dock now, she is still sailing for pullmantur

Booking the Empress sight unseen and without the benefit of recent reviews/photos was a combination of faith in RCI and the opportunity for an adventure for me. If this was the only cruise I would be taking for a year, for instance, I would have chosen a different ship. But for frequent cruisers, I think it will be interesting. I can't wait for those first reviews.

Yes, it has a rock wall from back in 2004 refurb, and according to Pullmantur website, Empress currently has 2 pools, and also a solarium. But the deck plans show one pool. Go figure!

ARGH :confused: Is it bad that I am hoping for a solarium so that the adults hang there and my kids have less crowd at the main pool? :p

There are lots of current photos on Instagram. Some tagged pullmanturempress, but many more just under "pullmantur" and require wading through a lot of photos.

I wouldn't expect major infrastructure changes; the dry dock will only be a few weeks long. A Solarium doesn't necessarily have to have a pool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/v1Hkn9tSUI/?tagged=pullmanturempress

https://www.instagram.com/p/_b0-NSMYMN/?tagged=pullmantur

I was thrilled when I heard they're bringing the Empress back! We sailed this ship once to Bermuda, and loved it. My husband tends to like the bigger ships, but I love the smaller ones. So, we do both! I love that they're doing updates to the ship, but I liked it how it was also. Can't wait to sail her again! Next month we're sailing on the Allure for the first time in that class of ship. What a difference between the Empress and the Allure! :-)

Some of Carnivals Fantasy class ships were redone a few years ago and they eliminated one of the main pools to make room for water slides. Those ships carry more than Empress, but one pool is definitely not enough for 2000-2500 people.

I agree with one of the posters, they may add a Solarium minus the usual pool. Most of Carnival's Serenity adult areas usually just have the big padded loungers and hot tubs.