Bistro on 5 - Review of new menu

lawgeek

We were on Constellation 12/26/2015 sailing. This was our third X cruise and per advice from others have eaten in BO5 each sailing. The first was the original menu and although the food was good, that menu was almost all crepes as I remember and I just don't care for savory crepes. Embarkation was our only meal on this trip.

Last June we were on Summit and the old new menu was being served and price had been increased. We loved it. Wife had prime rib at first lunch and we actually dined here three times that trip. Very high marks and found the daily specials very good.

Our most recent experience was like night and day compared to 6 months prior. The new menu is once a again crepes with a few salads and a few sandwiches. No specials, no hamburger option, same price. We both ordered the Ruben sandwich and it was awful. Served all alone (no side or garnish) on a huge plate, the tiny sandwich was sad and lonely looking. What they referred to as panini style meant dry toast with grill marks, strange tasting and dry corned beef and very little kraut. I ate mine since i was starving. Wife picked at hers, although she also had a decent carrot soup I believe.

We did not go there again on this last trip as it was simply not worth the money. The restaurant was fairly vacant the other times we walked by. It is too bad they made the recent changes as I really enjoyed BO5 last summer and was looking forward to a few lunches there on this trip.

How odd! We were on Silhouette the week before Christmas and had the (old) new menu with the daily specials, prime rib, burger, etc. We loved it, but were also glad they still had our old favourite Hot and Spicy crepe. Are they maybe trying out the newer new menu on some select ships? If so and they are empty hopefully they'll go back to the old new menu!

We were on the Reflection Dec 12 and if I understand correctly the menu new menu went into effect the next cruise fleetwide.

I too always enjoyed eating there but have no desire to try with the new limited menu. Now will have to find a new embarkation day lunch. Hate the crowded buffet. I wonder if the dining room is open for lunch?

FWIW:

On a recent cruise had the burger from Bistro on 5, the burger from Luminae and the burger from Mast Grill. In my uneducated opinion I would rate the burger at Mast grill tops. The. burger at Bistro on 5 was second. The burger from Luminae was a very disappointing last.

Thank you for the review!

We are big fans of the crepes' date=' both the entree crepes and the dessert ones. We'll be ok in either case, new menu or not. Plus I'm gluten-free, so the crepes always satisfy. MMMMM!

Happy cruisin'

Susan[/quote']

I love the desert crepes, just not so much the savory ones. Just a personal taste thing! I just didn't see the value with the new menu and higher price when I don't like much of what's on there. Another thing missing was the steak salad. That was really good and I had it twice on the previous cruise, but has been axed with the new menu.

I honestly don't think that Celebrity have thought through the role of B5. I wonder if anyone has been asked their opinion of the menu? They should be appealing to different groups throughout the day.

There are several people who don't like buffet dining who use it as a lunchtime option (this group will now be bigger on port days as there is no Luminae and suites can dine for free). Then there are some people who know on returning from a tour that they are starving mid afternoon and decide to eat here and skip the evening meal. Then there are those who see it as a relaxed evening alternative dining menu.....

If the daily specials were not doing well why not just serve them in an evening? Maybe have a brunch/lunch menu until perhaps 3pm with soups, salads, crepes...and then from about 3pm offer a dish of the day.

Why not make it $5 during the day and an expanded menu for the evening hours at $10.

They have the space and the food and it is not being used by many people right now. $10 for lunch is just too expensive when you have so many free options.

Laura

Why not make it $5 during the day and an expanded menu for the evening hours at $10.

They have the space and the food and it is not being used by many people right now. $10 for lunch is just too expensive when you have so many free options.

Laura

Is Bistro on Five open for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Laura

Absolutely agree - this sounds like a sensible strategy - SO, it will probably not be considered.

The Bistro does sound like wasted space and a mis-use of crew at this point. Perhaps the plan it to just give it to suite pax and cut the rest of the ship out from yet another "public" space.

Bistro on 5 pretty much shares "the most wasted space on the ship" award with Quasar which, as far as I've seen could be converted to a storage locker with no one even noticing.

I think Celebrity is trying to figure out how to make that dining area more profitable. I'm sure the daily specials were just creating throw away waste so they quickly eliminated them. What we see is likely, hopefully, just part of a work in progress as they try other formulas for attracting paying guests. I've suggested converting the area to a good sushi bar....there have been other suggestions. As it stands now, it's just a money loser with a menu that doesn't justify the price which doesn't matter because the only time folks like us seem to eat there is on embarkation day, to avoid the crowds. At $10, we didn't even do that on last month's cruise...we ate at the aqua spa cafe/Mast Grill.

Edited by ghstudio