Live-ish from Crown Princess Jan 4-8 2015

shredie

I've got recent Patters from a 7 day trip on Crown, will try and figure out what I need off of those. Wanted to skip the regular dining and do just specialty dining on this one. Was trying to figure out when they would be open ie: Gastropub and Crab Shack, and line it up with entertainment times...etc.

Gastro Pub was every night. Crab Shack was one night only. I think it was Wednesday, what should have been the only sea day. It was the night of the show "Magic To Do", so if you want to do the 8:00 show, you might be rushed. The theater was packed by 7:30. :eek: I think all the shows were 8:00 and 10:00.

Edited by cruznliz

Gastro Pub was every night. Crab Shack was one night only. I think it was Wednesday, what should have been the only sea day. It was the night of the show "Magic To Do", so if you want to do the 8:00 show, you might be rushed. The theater was packed by 7:30. :eek: I think all the shows were 8:00 and 10:00.

I appreciate the info. Crab Shack was only open the 1st sea day on the 7 day trip. We are scheduled on MTD although may only hit the dining room for breakfast this time around.

Was embarkation also walk on with no help with luggage?? Since apparently disembarkation was that waY ???

There were porters at embarkation and luggage was delivered to the cabins.

The luggage storage area was open once you disembarked.

Disembarkation instruction sheet only showed self disembark, so not sure what people who had luggage were told.

But there was a lot of confusion:

Some said that they put their luggage out and no one came for them.

Lots of people (I mean lots) were seen thumping their 25 inch plus luggage down 4-5 flights of stairs because the elevators were so packed.

Disembarkation was one of the worst I've experienced.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Disembarkation instruction sheet only showed self disembark, so not sure what people who had luggage were told.

Lots of people (I mean lots) were seen thumping their 25 inch plus luggage down 4-5 flights of stairs because the elevators were so packed.

That's even worse than our early January 2015 three day cruise from LA which had 3 independent groups with luggage pick up in the terminal. The only other groups with luggage transferred to the terminal were those paying for Princess transfers. All of those passengers put out their luggage on the last night but we traveled light with only carry on bags & a small garment bag for such a short cruise.

Even then it was chaotic but it appeared that too many passengers ignored the instructions which made it even worse. :(

There were porters at embarkation and luggage was delivered to the cabins.

The luggage storage area was open once you disembarked.

Amen. The CD did a disembarkation talk on the TV and he said people could go to Passenger services and ask for tags so the luggage would be collected the night before. Problem was that had to be done the second day and his talk didn't appear until the third. I was told later that there was some mention of these tags in the disembarkation flyer, but if it was there, I missed it. The stairs and elevators were hazards with all the big bags thumping down and running over feet. Then there was the long line at customs with all the people who had not filled out a customs declaration since they didn't physically step into Mexico. Princess really needed to make that more clear, and they didn't. There is lots of bad management on that ship.

Amen. The CD did a disembarkation talk on the TV and he said people could go to Passenger services and ask for tags so the luggage would be collected the night before. Problem was that had to be done the second day and his talk didn't appear until the third. I was told later that there was some mention of these tags in the disembarkation flyer, but if it was there, I missed it. The stairs and elevators were hazards with all the big bags thumping down and running over feet. Then there was the long line at customs with all the people who had not filled out a customs declaration since they didn't physically step into Mexico. Princess really needed to make that more clear, and they didn't. There is lots of bad management on that ship.

Thats crazy. :(

Of course, I didn't watch the talk on the television. But I did stop by the Passenger Service Desk every day asking about disembarkation information (one of the best perks of being Elite). Anyway, the agent behind the counter finally asked me what time I wanted to disembark and gave me two tickets. I knew him from a previous cruise. I know better, and should have asked for a very early number, but didn't. All worked out okay. I need to learn to travel in a carry on. My piece was a little larger, but had lots of room.

We've only done a few short cruises & didn't notice those problems before but not mentioning the customs declaration could really slow down the whole disembarkation process for everyone. We'll be doing self disembarkation in a few weeks & it might help to get off as early as possible before the backups begin.

Are you saying they wanted to collect bags on the 3rd night of a 4 night cruise? Between the disembarkation/luggage problems and dining time problems, I would be on the phone with Princess at 8am this morning - demanding answers. This is simply unacceptable - period!

Edited by Piepkorn

We were a group of 11. There were plenty of porters at Embarkation and some of our bags arrived to the cabin before us. All were received before Muster. :D

It was clearly written on the Disembarkation instructions that you could go to the Shore Excursion Desk if you had any problem with the Walk-Off tickets that they automatically gave everyone. We went down on the last sea day and were given luggage tags for our whole group. Our bags disappeared instantaneously from the hallway the last night.

It was alarming to see so many people struggling with their luggage. Communication should have been better. :eek:

They also should have made a general announcement about the Customs Form. My daughter wouldn't have done it if I hadn't made her do it. :rolleyes:

Edited by cruznliz

Are you saying they wanted to collect bags on the 3rd night of a 4 night cruise? Between the disembarkation/luggage problems and dining time problems, I would be on the phone with Princess at 8am this morning - demanding answers. This is simply unacceptable - period!

No. It was necessary to get the tags to put on the luggage for pickup ahead of time, although I guess that didn't turn out to be the case. The luggage that was picked up was done on the last night. My problem was listening to the CD's disembarkation talk on the TV, I guess.

Just off the Crown's cruise to no where. I was one of those happy campers. Will responds when I get settled. In the meantime...replies for "page 3".

Dan Appleby was the Cruise Director (more later).

Yes, there was Baked Alaska (but no parade) on the last night.

Compensation for missed Ensenada was a glass of house wine (nasty) and return of $2.17 port fees.

Not Jones Act (cargo) but Passenger Vessel Service Act. We did stop long enough to board authorities so they could sign the necessary paper work.

Yes, Los Brillantes was on board. Casavaha...lots of dancing on these 4 days in all 3 venues plus piazza. Where were you?

Astro Flyer: I was one of those really happy to go to San Diego.

Scanning the Patters wouldn't be a sample of a "normal" cruise. I do have them...

We were in the Panama Canal on the Island. Great cruise overall.

Greg

Were there any late night entertainment shows, comedy shows other then the usual 8 and 10 pm shows? Last year on the Crown there were shows in October but none in February. My Dh loves the late night shows. I find that the shorter cruises tend to do away with these shows?

Were there any late night entertainment shows, comedy shows other then the usual 8 and 10 pm shows? Last year on the Crown there were shows in October but none in February. My Dh loves the late night shows. I find that the shorter cruises tend to do away with these shows?

Yes, there were some comedians and a magician, but not after 10.