Live-ish from Crown Princess Jan 4-8 2015

shredie

Cloudy and cool in San Diego but no rain. The kids are going to the Maritime Museum and the Midway today. Last night was not 50th menu. Had the onion soup. SIL had tri tip since he's afraid it won't be there much longer. Baby found another toddler to play with yesterday on deck. They chased each other and squealed. Boys swam with SIL. They are all nuts because I was freezing out there. Then again I'm not a little boy! The sea has been choppy but I've seen worse. No water beast sightings. We have the big angled balcony on Riviera but only two chairs and no footstools. They don't treat it as a Caribe balcony. Bed has been comfortable. Room service had been efficient and accurate. I missed the balloon drop again. They did it last night. I'll report back again later.
You should be missing the rain that is hitting the LA area today. Glad everyone is finding a way to enjoy the cruise.

No new beds. I just got lucky with a good one. It had sprinkled here but not much rain. I'm still not sure about that 50th menu. In the original itinerary this should have been a sea day but they changed it. So it could be that the menus are out of kilter. I could go check but I've got the baby here in my cabin napping. Two weddings on the ship. Dining staff is not the best. We have early TD and last night they were so slow getting us our food we made the late diners for our table wait. Not a good thing. Maitre d was bustling around clucking at everyone. CD is Dan Appleby. New to me. He's not very much in evidence but his asst is. More later.

at the bottom of the page

*The Princess Luxury Bed will debut on board Ruby Princess, Emerald Princess and Coral Princess in February 2016, followed by Sun Princess (Apr 2016), Grand Princess (Dec 2016), Caribbean Princess (Mar 2017), Golden Princess (Apr 2017), Pacific Princess (May 2017), Sea Princess and Star Princess (Nov 2017), Royal Princess (Feb 2018), Sapphire Princess (Mar 2018), Regal Princess (Apr 2018), Crown Princess (Apr 2018) and Island Princess (Apr 2018). Please note this schedule is subject to change.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/princess-luxury-bed/

Thanks Shredie for the report of dining... We're due on the ship on 1/18 for 3 B2B and I'm elated not to have Porkbelly and endive foam ! Have a wonderful cruise.

No nasty EF! Tonight wasn't the 50th menu either. Surf and turf menu. Spring rolls. I like those. Again our service was slow and inaccurate. I noticed the HW bringing in ATD diners to early TD when they seemed to be sure the TD people were not going to show. The cookies and milk girls were all over this aft. Piazza was packed sine it was cold and damp outside. Still haven't made it to any of the shows. I keep babysitting. LOL. Now on our way to Ensenada.

May I ask, what time did you get on the ship?

We boarded about one. I usually get on early enough for lunch in the dining room but we had a crowd this time. We did lunch in the buffet (which is always a madhouse on embarkation day ). Speaking of buffet Cafe Caribe did Indian food yesterday which was yummy.

Well. We are missing Ensenada. High winds won't let us dock so captain Lubrano says another sea day but close to shore. Ship is bouncy.

First time I've ever heard of that one. Once on RCCL we needed a tug to pull us off the dock due to high winds. (have pics of that if interested).

Looks real choppy today on the webcam. I assume the Ensenada stop will occur tomorrow (?)

Edited by Piepkorn

Thinking of you as I sit in San Diego in unusually wet and windy weather.

Could you say hi to Alan and Frankie in Vines and ask them what kind of Riedel stemware they are using that I could buy for use at home. Thanks.

Maddle

(but they will know me as Mary from the New Year's cruise.)

I assume the Ensenada stop will occur tomorrow (?)

The cruise ends in LA tomorrow so there's no actual docking in Ensenada.

About a decade ago our ship just slowed down offshore of Ensenada & was met by a naval boat. It was like getting a harbor pilot onboard & that was our Ensenada "arrival". As I recall there were some complaints that this wasn't truly a foreign port stop & in the past decade it has been an actual day in port.

Although when weather creates safety issues like this cruise then that requirement must be waived & they may resort to that other procedure where authorities come by boat to the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Haven't seen the mariachis. I haven't been in the Piazza much. All kinds of grousing all over the ship about missing another port. Lots of new cruisers who don't understand how it all works. Captain makes the decision. I've heard the usual "get my money back" stuff. Since I've been to Ensenada about 753 times I'm not too sad about it. I heard one lady pax telling a man he needed to ask God for his money back because he's not getting in from Princess. LOL.

Haven't seen the mariachis. I haven't been in the Piazza much. All kinds of grousing all over the ship about missing another port. Lots of new cruisers who don't understand how it all works. Captain makes the decision. I've heard the usual "get my money back" stuff. Since I've been to Ensenada about 753 times I'm not too sad about it. I heard one lady pax telling a man he needed to ask God for his money back because he's not getting in from Princess. LOL.

Thats hilarious!

Where's B.M. when you need him?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hi shredie, do you happen to be in cabin R746. My DW and I will be in that cabin on the 2/8 sail. You mentioned large angled balcony. Does this cabin

Have any issues? I've never booked so far aft. Thanks in advance for any info.

How does the Jones Act work if you are unable to stop at a foreign port?

Apparently there are waivers built in the act for such situations...wonder if they'll have to go through customs & immigrations since they never got to any port including a foreign port? :confused:

No baked Alaska. :(. It's not the last night without it. Yes we have r246. Great cabin. I like these aft balconies. No issues at all. Comfy bed. Dining service is just off all over the ship. Pizza. IC. Buffet. Little things like too slow or running short on things. The whole operation needs some management. The sea is still choppy. I have seen worse. The boys said a bunch of kids got sea sick in kids club. DD and SIL won trivia. Gave the lanyards to the kids. Wheelhouse is even more salty doggified than when I was here last. There's only one small section left with the comfortable chairs. It's all the tall tables and hard chairs.

...........................Wheelhouse is even more salty doggified than when I was here last. There's only one small section left with the comfortable chairs. It's all the tall tables and hard chairs.

Bummer about the Wheelhouse bar. We will probably see the same on the Ruby which we are on shortly. Still concerned about the Endive Foam issue as well.........:eek: