Anchorage - Hotel Captain Cook extra night expense?

snorkelman

We are sailing Princess in June 2016 and doing a land portion in addition to the cruise, and I understand that we get one free night at the Hotel Captain Cook. However, we wanted to fly in a day early to make sure that we didn't have any problems, but the TA just informed us that would cost $310 + taxes/fees for one night. Does that sound right?

I am wondering if we waited too long to book our hotel in Anchorage.

The Cook is usually the most expensive hotel in Anchorage. Price out the Hilton, Sheraton, or Marriott. A cab ride to shift luggage (if needed - walkable) would probably be under ten bucks, so do the math.

Thanks. I found out that the Cook offers a room for $285 with "no amenities (gym/parking breakfast credit).

Since we will be arriving at 7pm, I think we may just stay at the Marriott inside the airport for $285. 2little time, the Holiday Inn Express is the same price ($280) so it makes no sense to leave the airport, especially since we have a free shuttle the next day from the airport to the Cook, and I assume the airport has a food court.

Any other thoghts?

I think we may just stay at the Marriott inside the airport for $285. 2little time, the Holiday Inn Express is the same price ($280) so it makes no sense to leave the airport, especially since we have a free shuttle the next day from the airport to the Cook, and I assume the airport has a food court.

Any other thoghts?

Ummmm.... What Marriott inside the airport? There isn't one. I know the concept gets talked about from time to time, but right now there isn't a hotel *at* the Anchorage airport.

There's several hotels within a couple mile radius of the airport.

We also arrive about 7 pm and have booked an additional night at the Captain Cook for about what you have been quoted; we will use a taxi to get there. It means we will be downtown with multiple sources for meals. The next day we will explore the museums and have a walk. That night will be the one covered by our cruise tour which leaves the following morning. We looked into what you are proposing but decided that for the $$ involved we would keep it simple.

Are you paying for the airport to Captain Cook transfer --if so maybe cancel it and stay at the CC so you have no rush the next morning with a large group shuttle.

HAL and Princess work together on their airport to hotel transportation. If you stay the extra night pre cruisetour you could probably still use the Princess transfer. Just let Princess know when you are arriving. They have big busses that stop at the Captain Cook, Hilton, and Westmark. The bus will go even if they only have a few passengers. Downtown is the place to be if you don't have a car.

Thanks. I found out that the Cook offers a room for $285 with "no amenities (gym/parking breakfast credit).

Since we will be arriving at 7pm, I think we may just stay at the Marriott inside the airport for $285. 2little time, the Holiday Inn Express is the same price ($280) so it makes no sense to leave the airport, especially since we have a free shuttle the next day from the airport to the Cook, and I assume the airport has a food court.

Any other thoghts?

If the cost is the same, I would go direct to Captain Cook. It is a nice hotel with good restaurants near by. The taxi ride is not long. I can also promise you that it will be daylight for a few more hours after you get in :)

Any other thoghts?

Don't assume that you will be able to access any of the restaurants in the airport. Check the maps online and verify that there are some available outside security.

I would also do some more hotel searching. If you can lose $100 off the cost a $10 cab ride is nothing. You might even look for a B&B.

As someone said it may not even really get dark when you are there so you will have plenty of daylight to use to your advantage.

Edited by zqvol

Thanks for the advice everyone. We decided to just keep things simple and enjoy the high quality at the CC for $285. Not worth the hassle, even if we could save some money. Kids plus elderly in the mix and we decide to just keep it simple.

I really like the hotel - love the nautical feel of it. Great location, great restaurants really close.

We booked our extra night at Captain Cook a few months ago for this May and it seems they have put the prices up as we are paying much less.

I contacted our Aussie Princess centre and they said I could not use the shuttle the day before we are supposed to. They arent exactly helpful in Australia. Might have to call the US but not if I am put on hold. I know there is another cruisetour starting on the day we arrive so I know that there will be shuttles operating that day.

Edited by Pushka