Eurodam Retreat Cabana questions

WonderMan3

I will be taking my first Holland cruise this winter on the Eurodam. After hearing about the Retreat Cabanas on here I booked two for me and my partner and our two friends (Family Cabanas were not available).

A few questions:

1. For those who have had them before, any location preferences? You can't specifically reserve a location in advance the agent told me but they can submit a request you have to the ship. It looks like a couple look out over the Lido pool and the ocean beyond and then others are along the side with view of ocean through plexiglass. Is one better than the other. We booked two cabanas side-by-side which they will accommodate, but that could make it more difficult on location preference but I'll request anyway.

2. Is anything included as far as food and beverages. I've seen various reports from people talking about eating and drinking things in their cabana that staff brought to them but it wasn't clear if they were complimentary or extra.

I will be taking my first Holland cruise this winter on the Eurodam. After hearing about the Retreat Cabanas on here I booked two for me and my partner and our two friends (Family Cabanas were not available).

A few questions:

1. For those who have had them before, any location preferences? You can't specifically reserve a location in advance the agent told me but they can submit a request you have to the ship. It looks like a couple look out over the Lido pool and the ocean beyond and then others are along the side with view of ocean through plexiglass. Is one better than the other. We booked two cabanas side-by-side which they will accommodate, but that could make it more difficult on location preference but I'll request anyway.

2. Is anything included as far as food and beverages. I've seen various reports from people talking about eating and drinking things in their cabana that staff brought to them but it wasn't clear if they were complimentary or extra.

We had one just last month. We prefer the cabanas overlooking the Lido pool - because they have more open air circulation and don't feel as closed in. The staff will being you anything you request from the lido, bar and/or Dive-In at no extra cost. (Just please remember to tip them at the end of the cruise if you appreciated their service.)

Both locations have their good and bad points. The ones on the sides give you a nice view but have less air flow. The ones that overlook the lido pool don't have good side views but more airflow.

In addition to the food listed above you will get a fruit basket. They will also bring around "champagne" and chocolate covered strawberries. Ice cream is listed as well but I've never seen it. That said I usually go to get my own food and sometimes go to the gym after lunch so I might have missed it. All that is listed here is included.

We had one just last month. We prefer the cabanas overlooking the Lido pool - because they have more open air circulation and don't feel as closed in. The staff will being you anything you request from the lido, bar and/or Dive-In at no extra cost. (Just please remember to tip them at the end of the cruise if you appreciated their service.)

So to just to clarify, we can order any alcoholic beverages (regardless if we have a beverage package or not) and they would be complimentary here?

No, the only complimentary alcohol is the afternoon champagne. You are correct though--you don't need a beverage package. Just tell your steward what you want and they will get it for you. And take your ships card if it there is a charge. We had a beverage card when we rented a cabana on our last cruise and our steward took it each time but I think that's just to monitor the time (and maybe the total # of drinks, there may be a limit).

good luck and enjoy, those cabanas are nice!

ML

Bottled water is provided as well as the afternoon sparkling wine. As others have mentioned, you can order other beverages via your cabin key card.

We like to read/relax, so prefer those along the side with a view of the ocean as they are quieter (no noise from the pool area.) The ones overlooking the pool have more ventilation, but if it is windy, it can be too much ventilation.

They are a treat in any case - enjoy!

I think the cabanas would be much more expensive if booze (other than champagne) was included :).

Yeah, I was thinking the same LOL! It would be a great deal if they gave you free alcoholic drinks during the day. Of course, then they would be even harder to get! But, you do get the 2 big bottles of water and the fruit bowl, which are nice.

ML

Bottled water is provided as well as the afternoon sparkling wine. As others have mentioned, you can order other beverages via your cabin key card.

We like to read/relax, so prefer those along the side with a view of the ocean as they are quieter (no noise from the pool area.) The ones overlooking the pool have more ventilation, but if it is windy, it can be too much ventilation.

They are a treat in any case - enjoy!

I had one of those side cabanas on a cruise. This huge gust of wind came along and tables, chairs etc went flying from the cabanas over the pool. Mine was unscathed.

So to just to clarify, we can order any alcoholic beverages (regardless if we have a beverage package or not) and they would be complimentary here?

Sorry.. I didn't word that very well.. For bar items, we had to give the steward our room key (had the SBP) for items we needed from the bar.

We had a cabana overlooking Lido and except for one really windy day enjoyed the airflow. Though we haven't had the side cabanas, we felt that we ended up with the better option for us - weren't keen on the plexiglass.

The cabana stewards really will do anything they can to please you. They brought us food from the Dive-In menu, the cabana menu, and were happy to go off menu from the Lido with direction. We also had the Drink Package and they brought them as fast as we could drink them. When it was time for the "free" afternoon sparkling wine, they were more than happy to provide refills.

Getting the cabana for our Caribbean cruise was the best decision we made and totally made the cruise for us. We also had a good time chatting in the communal space with the other cabana dwellers.

If you tip your cabana stewards extra, how much per day? At the end of the cruise?

This depends, of course, on how good your service is. We have had very good to excellent service from our cabana stewards. In talking to others in the cabanas, the range we have heard is $30 to $50 for each of the (two) stewards for the week -- in one of the regular cabanas. And well worth it!!!

This depends, of course, on how good your service is. We have had very good to excellent service from our cabana stewards. In talking to others in the cabanas, the range we have heard is $30 to $50 for each of the (two) stewards for the week -- in one of the regular cabanas. And well worth it!!!

I would also add that it depends on how much you are asking of them. If they are getting all your meals while you are there I would be tempted to tip more. They never get any of my meals and I tip in the range you've listed here and I'm one person so also less work.

No charge for drinks from the bar?? It was never mentioned when we have reserved cabanas..... Will have to try that on our upcoming trans=canal cruise in April.

Edited by George'sGal

No charge for drinks from the bar?? It was never mentioned when we have reserved cabanas..... Will have to try that on our upcoming trans=canal cruise in April.

If you read closely, I think the reference was to having a drink package, in which case drinks from the bar would be free in the cabanas.

If you read closely, I think the reference was to having a drink package, in which case drinks from the bar would be free in the cabanas.

Its defenitly in reference to having a drink package. The only "free" drinks are water and the "champagne" in the afternoon.