Norwegian's Free at Sea

wezie

I have just received e-mail with confirmation from NCL: "When receiving the beverage package via a promotion, all gratuities are included and nothing will be added to the price."

I just booked on the Getaway for January 2018, and had to pay the gratuity on the UBP, as I did for our January 2017 cruise. To me, we usually either break even or go over the price we paid for the gratuity, so I don't worry about it, but if we ever had to actually pay full price for the UBP, we wouldn't do it. No way would we ever drink enough to break even.

Agree. Why on earth would anyone want to spend their vacation with their nose in a phone?

I wasn't stating a preference. I was answering the question above my post.

Having said that, I take the dining and beverage package. I don't take the Internet package, as I need it unlimited.

Not having to check emails when on holiday may be nice, but I couldn't take anything like as many holidays if I didn't keep up with some work.

Two holidays a year with no work, or four holidays a year whilst keeping up with emails etc. It's an easy choice for me.

• 3 months later...

Let's talk costs.

I chose the $50 excursion credit. I need a second.

My bf drinks and I really don't. I was told by a NCL rep the cost for "Free" beverages would be $99 per person and all adults in the room had to get that. My ds16 obviously doesn't drinks.

I was thinking about the meal plan. I heard it was four specialty meals. Am I missing out on anything in the main dining room if I choose that? What is the cost of that "free" promotion? The website is a little sketchy with the details or I'm not looking in the right place. Is there more than one dining room?

Also...not related to the free items...How is the "freestyle dining"? I only did NCL once in Hawaii. It was a floating hotel, not a cruise. We went for dinner around 6 and was told there was a one hour wait meanwhile we peeked in and the dining room was only half full (or half empty depending on how you look at it). I will be traveling with four senior citizens (three in scooters).

Are there 3 of you in the cabin? If 3rd/4th guests free is available for your sailing, you should probably choose that as one of your perks.

My bf drinks and I really don't. I was told by a NCL rep the cost for "Free" beverages would be $99 per person and all adults in the room had to get that. My ds16 obviously doesn't drinks.

Not all adults in the room, only those listed as guest 1 or 2. If you put your boyfriend as #1, he can get the beverage package for $99.54 (assuming it's a 7-day cruise). If you put your son as guest #2, he will get the soda package for $9.45. You will not receive anything as guest #3, but you won't have to pay anything extra, either.

I was thinking about the meal plan. I heard it was four specialty meals. Am I missing out on anything in the main dining room if I choose that? What is the cost of that "free" promotion?

Again, if it's a 7-day cruise, you only get 3 meals with the dining perk. That costs $12.42 per person, again only for guests 1 & 2 (guest #3 gets nothing, but if they want to eat with the others, they can purchase a 3-meal plan for $81.42).

Let's talk costs.

I was thinking about the meal plan. I heard it was four specialty meals. Am I missing out on anything in the main dining room if I choose that? What is the cost of that "free" promotion? The website is a little sketchy with the details or I'm not looking in the right place. Is there more than one dining room?

Also...not related to the free items...How is the "freestyle dining"? I only did NCL once in Hawaii. It was a floating hotel, not a cruise. We went for dinner around 6 and was told there was a one hour wait meanwhile we peeked in and the dining room was only half full (or half empty depending on how you look at it). I will be traveling with four senior citizens (three in scooters).

I sailed NCL for the first time last January, and LOVED the Freestyle dining! We just showed up at one of the 3 MDRs (we tried all 3. They all serve the same menu) whenever we decided to eat, and were seated. Loved, loved, loved it! But we will be returning on the same ship (the Getaway) again in January with a large party of 16, so I'm sure it won't be quite as "freestyle" because we will need to reserve to accommodate that many people. The MDR food was very good, but I felt their buffet was the best at sea, and we can't stop raving about O'Sheehan's Irish Pub that is totally complimentary with a full menu that serves 24 hours a day!!!

I still feel the drink package is the best. If your BF drinks more than 5 alcoholic beverages per day, it is worth it. Drinks are pretty pricey. You can get soda (fountain, not bottled) with the package, also. My hubby and I took the beverage package, and only consumed 3 alcoholic drinks per day, plus some fountain cokes, but loved the ease of having it.

As for specialty restaurants, we did eat at Moderno one night--for my birthday--which is a rare treat for us. We usually just eat at the complimentary venues, as you are already paying for that with your fare. Moderno's was very good, if you like a lot of meat. The salad bar was awesome, too!

The drinks and meal options are for me who drinks and enjoys good food are a much better option. We always do at least 1 or 2 dinners in a 7 or 10 night cruise. So for us it is a better choice. Especially when you can get more cost effective and usually (again just my opinion ) more locally run and more adaptive to personalization tours other than the ship offered one's which are really over inflated. . Tax and additional gratuities are more with this choice. I believe the drinks one includes specialty coffees. Just don't choose the free WiFi as it REALLY is not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Forums mobile app

The drinks and meal options are for me who drinks and enjoys good food are a much better option. We always do at least 1 or 2 dinners in a 7 or 10 night cruise. So for us it is a better choice. Especially when you can get more cost effective and usually (again just my opinion ) more locally run and more adaptive to personalization tours other than the ship offered one's which are really over inflated. . Tax and additional gratuities are more with this choice. I believe the drinks one includes specialty coffees. Just don't choose the free WiFi as it REALLY is not worth it.

Specialty coffees are not included in NCL drink package, nor is bottled water.

And I agree--the wifi package is a waste. Upload the iconcierge app to your phone, and you can text everyone in your party that uploads the app too, for the entire length of cruise for only $8.

We just booked a Suite and apparently get all of the Free at Sea offers. I thought I read somewhere that the drink and dining package includes the gratuities for Suite passengers. I can not seem to find this in the fine print. Do any of you have experience with this??

We just booked a Suite and apparently get all of the Free at Sea offers. I thought I read somewhere that the drink and dining package includes the gratuities for Suite passengers. I can not seem to find this in the fine print. Do any of you have experience with this??

I don't sail in suites, but as I understand it, gratuities are included for suite passengers. I've seen that posted several times.

Still trying to figure out how much I would be paying for the three "free meals".

they charge you 18% of the value of the package or about $14 pp. Or as ColinIllinois said, just click on the T&C and you'll find the information there.

we have started selecting the wifi or excursion credit as our second option (UBP is always the first choice, hands down) so as to avoid the tax on the specialty dining. the meals just arent that great in the specialties anymore, and we get 2 for being platinum anyway.

It should be included but if not it would be on your invoice or confirmation page.

Thank you. Good to know. I am torn between wanting to try the specialties but don't want to hear the kvetching that comes with having a bf and son to to tell dress up more than a nice polo and khaki shorts.

Other than Le Bistro, those clothes are fine in the speciality restaurants.

• 4 weeks later...
Specialty coffees are not included in NCL drink package, nor is bottled water.

And I agree--the wifi package is a waste. Upload the iconcierge app to your phone, and you can text everyone in your party that uploads the app too, for the entire length of cruise for only $8.

Hello! Just came across your post while I was researching the "free-at-sea wifi". I have read mixed reviews about the iconcierge app and would love to hear how your experience with it was. I am mostly interested in the communications aspect of it. Thanks in advance for any advice...

Hi, would you be able to give advice about the "free wifi"? Have you chosen it before and regretted it? Any info you could tell me would help as NCL doesn't give you much detail to go on, such as overage costs, how it works, etc. Thanks!