General Help Pre/Post cruise Rome

AmR87

Hello All,

I am booked on the NCL Epic in June. We booked our airfare last night (that means we REALLY are going!) The travelers are my husband (33), myself (28) and my mother in law (62, but moves n groves great!)

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions as there is so much information out there. We will be arriving in Rome 5 days prior to the cruise. I have found some amazing apartments for cheaper than hotels. It has been very hard convincing my MIL though of this as she believes there are too many cons to this type of booking. Other than not having a concierge are there any other cons to booking an apartment? I looked at it more as we get our own rooms for a cheaper price than a shared room at a hotel.

If we go the hotel route, I will be booking the Albergo Del Sento.

Secondly, anyone have suggestions on possible itinteraries? Again, we have 5 days.

Finally, we have two days post cruise before leaving from FCO. Any ideas on places to stay after? Not sure if we should go back to Rome or outside of Rome, etc.

Thank you all for the help!!!

Edited by AmR87

We stayed in an apartment at Maison Giulia. It's a small hotel/B&B but they also offer apartments, so we had the best of both worlds. We still had a concierge and staff available to help with our luggage, but we also had the extra space that comes with an apartment.

If you want your own rooms you could always choose a cheaper hotel and just book separate rooms. While Albergo Del Senato is nice, it's also expensive. Albergo Cesari gets good reviews on this board and is about half the price. Both hotels are in the same area.

For the two days post cruise, I'd probably base myself in Rome (especially since you're flight departs from there). There are lots of day trips you can do from there.

If wanting to stay in a different area of Italy, I'd be more inclined to do it pre-cruise when you have more time.

We stayed in an apartment at Maison Giulia. It's a small hotel/B&B but they also offer apartments, so we had the best of both worlds. We still had a concierge and staff available to help with our luggage, but we also had the extra space that comes with an apartment.

If you want your own rooms you could always choose a cheaper hotel and just book separate rooms. While Albergo Del Senato is nice, it's also expensive. Albergo Cesari gets good reviews on this board and is about half the price. Both hotels are in the same area.

For the two days post cruise, I'd probably base myself in Rome (especially since you're flight departs from there). There are lots of day trips you can do from there.

If wanting to stay in a different area of Italy, I'd be more inclined to do it pre-cruise when you have more time.

Thank you for the help!

That's were the problem arises. I wish we could book separate rooms at a hotel (even a cheaper one) but my MIL could not afford anything more than 400 on her own. Thus making it much easier to book together, or an apartment.

I'm going to look into the place you mentioned though!

We really love the idea of an apartment in the central area (Centro Storico). Your M IL could have her own room, and you would have a common gathering spot and a place to relax after a long hours of hitting the pavement. There are restaurants everywhere and the owner of the apartment most likely would leave A lot of information on local restaurants, sites to see, etc. That's been the case and all the apartments that we've rented in Europe. You can also stock up on breakfast foods, snacks, etc. and that's a great way to save money for some nicer meals in restaurants. Without knowing what her particular objections are, it's hard to counter them, but in your case I think an apartment makes perfect sense

We really love the idea of an apartment in the central area (Centro Storico). Your M IL could have her own room, and you would have a common gathering spot and a place to relax after a long hours of hitting the pavement. There are restaurants everywhere and the owner of the apartment most likely would leave A lot of information on local restaurants, sites to see, etc. That's been the case and all the apartments that we've rented in Europe. You can also stock up on breakfast foods, snacks, etc. and that's a great way to save money for some nicer meals in restaurants. Without knowing what her particular objections are, it's hard to counter them, but in your case I think an apartment makes perfect sense

Thanks for the suggestion! Originally, I think it was two things that bothered her, the familiarity of a hotel (she has never not staying in a hotel when traveling) and the whole "how will I know where to go aspect."

I actually decided to send her some links of some of my favorite apartments. Once she saw some, I could hear in her voice that her mind was changing. "Cheaper, and I get my own room?" She then asked me "Can you post on those review sites you do to see what people say about apartments. Which has brought me to this! :)

I think an apartment is a fine idea. Just try to book one that is well reviewed (not just 1 or 2, which could be "plants" ;)). And obviously in a central area is better and makes it easier to get about on your own without needing a concierge.

For Rome you are lucky (and smart!) to have so much time. You should count on three days just to see the Rome highlights at a pace that's reasonable, not breakneck. I usually suggest:

One day for the Vatican museum, St. Peter's and dome (if you wish) plus Castel Sant'Angelo.

One day for the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill plus maybe a visit to the Capitoline Museum (it's right there) or to the basilica of San Clemente (http://basilicasanclemente.com/eng/).

And one day to meander through the Centro Storico on foot, from the Spanish Steps (window shop down Via Condotti), Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Largo Argentina, Piazza Navona and perhaps Campo di Fiori. Of course, you could well do one or two of these things on other days if you are close by, after the "main" sightseeing of ancient Rome and the Vatican.

Be aware in your planning that the Vatican Museum is closed on Sundays, and many other sites (particularly museums) are closed on Mondays. However, the Colosseum and Forum are open every day.

I'm not sure if you are counting as full days your arrival day and departure day for the port. You could look into a daytrip to Tivoli, which is easy to do from Rome (many tour agencies run such a tour several times a week). If you have two full days unoccupied and are not planning to visit Florence on your cruise, you could do it in a long day from Rome.

Be sure you get a GOOD map of Rome. One with all the streets, not just the main ones. Most hotels give these out for free -- you may be able to step into a hotel lobby and get one, if you are charming. ;) Or look for a tourist information kiosk at the airport or in Rome.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Some of us just love answering questions about Rome. :D

Edited by cruisemom42

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Some of us just love answering questions about Rome. :D
Yes, once we get going it's hard to shut some of us up (she says, while looking in the mirror)!

An apartment is a great idea for all the reasons others have identified as well as the ability to have a meal or two "in", if you feel like it. I always appreciate being able to have breakfast without getting dressed as you would have to at a hotel.

I think an apartment is a fine idea. Just try to book one that is well reviewed (not just 1 or 2, which could be "plants" ;)). And obviously in a central area is better and makes it easier to get about on your own without needing a concierge.

For Rome you are lucky (and smart!) to have so much time. You should count on three days just to see the Rome highlights at a pace that's reasonable, not breakneck. I usually suggest:

One day for the Vatican museum, St. Peter's and dome (if you wish) plus Castel Sant'Angelo.

One day for the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill plus maybe a visit to the Capitoline Museum (it's right there) or to the basilica of San Clemente (http://basilicasanclemente.com/eng/).

And one day to meander through the Centro Storico on foot, from the Spanish Steps (window shop down Via Condotti), Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Largo Argentina, Piazza Navona and perhaps Campo di Fiori. Of course, you could well do one or two of these things on other days if you are close by, after the "main" sightseeing of ancient Rome and the Vatican.

Be aware in your planning that the Vatican Museum is closed on Sundays, and many other sites (particularly museums) are closed on Mondays. However, the Colosseum and Forum are open every day.

I'm not sure if you are counting as full days your arrival day and departure day for the port. You could look into a daytrip to Tivoli, which is easy to do from Rome (many tour agencies run such a tour several times a week). If you have two full days unoccupied and are not planning to visit Florence on your cruise, you could do it in a long day from Rome.

Be sure you get a GOOD map of Rome. One with all the streets, not just the main ones. Most hotels give these out for free -- you may be able to step into a hotel lobby and get one, if you are charming. ;) Or look for a tourist information kiosk at the airport or in Rome.

Wow! I appreciate the information!! After watching many Rick Steves videos on youtube, I figured 5 days would be a good amount of time to see everything we have on the must have list. I am glad to hear that is a good amount of time.

We will definitely be doing the Colosseum then on Sunday or Monday, per your information about many museums being closed then.

The apartment we are looking at is in the Piazza Barberini area. It has a full terrace with not one, but TWO big outdoor couches. I am envisioning myself out there already every morning with coffee and evening with wine.

I contacted the owner via airbnb and he responded back within 30 minutes. He must be semi legit then right? The specific apartment has 7 reviews, but he has 926 reviews as he manages multiple properties.

I am still unsure of what to do for our two days after. We had not been planning to stay after the cruise but flight prices and times pushed us back a few days. Do we just grab a hotel near the airport, or cruise port, or lug everything back to rome to a hotel? I am not sure of the best option.

I am still unsure of what to do for our two days after. We had not been planning to stay after the cruise but flight prices and times pushed us back a few days. Do we just grab a hotel near the airport, or cruise port, or lug everything back to rome to a hotel? I am not sure of the best option.

I am not a big fan of Civitavecchia (the cruise port); it's not a very scenic or interesting town, as Italian towns go.

I'm also not such a fan of staying at the airport, unless it's a case of absolute necessity... However, the one exception might be if you want to visit Ostia Antica, the ancient port of Rome. It is somewhat like the ruins of Pompeii and is very close to FCO airport.

If that doesn't appeal, I'd just return to Rome. You may be tired after your cruise if it's intensive, but you can still enjoy just walking around Rome, sitting in a piazza, eating good food, soaking up the atmosphere.

Wow! I appreciate the information!! After watching many Rick Steves videos on youtube, I figured 5 days would be a good amount of time to see everything we have on the must have list. I am glad to hear that is a good amount of time.

We will definitely be doing the Colosseum then on Sunday or Monday, per your information about many museums being closed then.

The apartment we are looking at is in the Piazza Barberini area. It has a full terrace with not one, but TWO big outdoor couches. I am envisioning myself out there already every morning with coffee and evening with wine.

I contacted the owner via airbnb and he responded back within 30 minutes. He must be semi legit then right? The specific apartment has 7 reviews, but he has 926 reviews as he manages multiple properties.

Consider staying in Tarquinia, only about 15 miles from the port. You can rent a car when you disembark and spend a few days seeing the countryside. We had a lovely huge room and balcony at villa Tirreno for about $100/night. Great Etruscan tombs in Tarquinia, very interesting. Cannot recommend Civita di Bagnoreggio highly enough, you'll have to look it up. Makes a great day trip with Orvieto. Then you can drive yourself to the airport (very easy drive, avoids all cities) and turn your car in there. We did it the opposite way and the car was $120! If your flight is later in the day you can add Ostia Antica beforehand.

Edited by CathyCruises

Hello all again,

Well a week later and boy do I have a lot more figured out.

I convinced my mil to let me book the apartment, woo hoo, I have booked hotel Tiber for two days post cruise.

Could someone let me know if this looks okay for an itinerary?

Friday- no plans but to explore. I am not sure how tired or pumped up we will be. We will see where our legs take us. The only job that day is to find a grocery store.

Saturday- walk to Trevi fountain, Spanish steps and pantheon. Stops for fun in between

Sunday- colosseum area exploration.

Monday- day trip to Tuscany or tivoli (not sure which to do here. I understand Tuscany is about a 3 hour drive each way)

Tuesday- vatacian area tour with Angel tours. Explore this area before and after the tour

Post cruise

Wednesday- explore around our hotel and ocean.

Thursday.- Ostia antico exploring

So there's a vague outline. My mil says there are student workers that work near the colosseum to give tours. Is this true or can we make it on our own?

Does this look like I am hitting main spots and allowing okay time for each? Any help is great!

You have so little time in Rome, I can't imagine using a full day of it for a long trip out of the city. I think you'll find there's so much to do within walking distance that a day trip just won't fit.

There are tour groups formed outside the Colosseum but these are licensed guides, not students. You can do this, or join a tour inside, or use audioguides, or wander about on your own with a good guidebook, whatever feels right to you.

If you tell us the address of the apartment you've rented we can tell you the nearest grocery stores.

You have so little time in Rome, I can't imagine using a full day of it for a long trip out of the city. I think you'll find there's so much to do within walking distance that a day trip just won't fit.

There are tour groups formed outside the Colosseum but these are licensed guides, not students. You can do this, or join a tour inside, or use audioguides, or wander about on your own with a good guidebook, whatever feels right to you.

If you tell us the address of the apartment you've rented we can tell you the nearest grocery stores.

Sure, it is Via Rasella, 6 Int.13

Roma, Lazio 00187

Also, I have been looking at a tour with Angeltours for the Vatacin area (with all the tourist things) However the only time they do is 1pm. I know it'll be crowded in the summer no matter what, but should I look at another company that begins earlier?

Roma, Lazio 00187

Also, I have been looking at a tour with Angeltours for the Vatacin area (with all the tourist things) However the only time they do is 1pm. I know it'll be crowded in the summer no matter what, but should I look at another company that begins earlier?

I wouldn't limit myself as far as researching tour providers -- there are a number of very good agencies in Rome. Take a look at Rick Steves' Rome guide for some other possible providers. (Personally, I have heard good and not so good things regarding Angel Tours....)

The Vatican museum is the most impacted by crowds. It used to be that the museum experienced a bit of a lull in the ticket line just around lunch time (e.g., 1pm in Italy), but with the advent of pre-reserved, timed tickets, this is not so much true any longer. It is generally always busy unless you get there the VERY first thing in the a.m. Some tours may offer early access or after-hours tours.

The Basilica is huge, so crowding isn't such an issue, although waiting in the security line can take some time. If you are on an official tour (and sometimes even if you aren't), you can take a "short cut" from the Sistine Chapel in the museums directly to the Basilica, skipping the security line.

If you plan to climb the dome, the better times are usually early in the morning or later in the afternoon.

This page gives the opening times for all of the above: http://www.vaticanstate.va/content/vaticanstate/en/informazioni-utili.html

Note the basilica opens as early as 7am, the dome at 8am, and the museums (absent special access) not until 10am.

Roma, Lazio 00187

There is a grocery store located very close to your apartment (less than a 5 minute walk):

Coop

Via in Arcione, 70

From your apartment, go west on Via Rasella 2 blocks

Store is located on the corner of Via Rasella & Via del Traforo

You can find about everything one would need there. :)

Edited by dogs4fun

There is a grocery store located very close to your apartment (less than a 5 minute walk):

Coop

Via in Arcione, 70

From your apartment, go west on Via Rasella 2 blocks

Store is located on the corner of Via Rasella & Via del Traforo

You can find about everything one would need there. :)

Thank you so much!!!

I put the address in my notes with the directions.

Could someone let me know if this looks okay for an itinerary?

Friday- no plans but to explore. I am not sure how tired or pumped up we will be. We will see where our legs take us. The only job that day is to find a grocery store.

Saturday- walk to Trevi fountain, Spanish steps and pantheon. Stops for fun in between

Sunday- colosseum area exploration.

Monday- day trip to Tuscany or tivoli (not sure which to do here. I understand Tuscany is about a 3 hour drive each way)

Tuesday- vatacian area tour with Angel tours. Explore this area before and after the tour

Hi, We spent 5 days in Rome in Sept and one of the really neat places we visited was Trastevere, just across the Tiber...lots of little stores and restaurants. Great place to spend a half day either during the day or evening. Have fun and take time to enjoy.

Edited by rosepetals
spelling error

I am slowly figuring this out. My type A personality is a little big for this trip.

Anyhow,

I have taken out any day trip in our agenda. Seeing as we would like to see some more museums, I have rearranged things to fit in a museum here and there. I am trying to leave a lot of free time open, simply to explore. One of the best parts of traveling is the adventure, right?

I do have one other question about some in between time. Our flight arrives at 9:05am. I figured when all is said and done, we will be leaving the airport around 1030am (unless I am way off on this). Our apartment owner has arranged for private transportation for us to bring us to the apartment.

Here is where the problem lies, He has someone checking out that morning. Thus, we cannot get in. He said he would tell the cleaning crew to go quickly, but he cannot be to flexible on the normal check in time of 1pm.

What would you suggest to do while we wait from 11 to possible 1 pm? I know we will be screaming tourist with my bright pink luggage. Nor do I want to walk around very much with lugguage, etc.

I am slowly figuring this out. My type A personality is a little big for this trip.

Anyhow,

I have taken out any day trip in our agenda. Seeing as we would like to see some more museums, I have rearranged things to fit in a museum here and there. I am trying to leave a lot of free time open, simply to explore. One of the best parts of traveling is the adventure, right?

I do have one other question about some in between time. Our flight arrives at 9:05am. I figured when all is said and done, we will be leaving the airport around 1030am (unless I am way off on this). Our apartment owner has arranged for private transportation for us to bring us to the apartment.

Here is where the problem lies, He has someone checking out that morning. Thus, we cannot get in. He said he would tell the cleaning crew to go quickly, but he cannot be to flexible on the normal check in time of 1pm.

What would you suggest to do while we wait from 11 to possible 1 pm? I know we will be screaming tourist with my bright pink luggage. Nor do I want to walk around very much with lugguage, etc.

Can you at least drop off your luggage at the apartment? I would ask the owner if he can accommodate luggage before check-in. Most hotels allow this & so do some apartments. When we arrived early to Krakow, we dropped our luggage at the apartment manager's office till check-in time (they managed several apartments in the area). We went back and retrieved our luggage later that day and then checked-in to our apartment.

Edited by dogs4fun

Rick Steves' guide book for Rome is very useful (except for restaurants perhaps.)

I highly recommend arranging to visit the Borghese Gallery. I really got to appreciate the power of sculpture there. You need to book ahead and when you get in do the top floor first to avoid the crowds.

You haven't mentioned any museum visits, and looking at your agenda you do have more than enough time to fit some in. Your Trevi Fountain/Spanish Steps/pantheon day is wide open because none of those things take very long at all. For instance, the Spanish Steps is just a big staircase, there are lots of little shops around it and good photo opportunities but unless you're into just sitting on the steps and pondering life there's not a lot to do there. (I might add that one of our favorite places for lunch in Rome is at the Spanish steps. If you are looking up the staircase, it's off to the right and kind of behind. Called Ristorante alla Rampa. They have a fun hors d'oeuvre buffet where you can pile your plate with a variety of delectable choices; for lunch my favorite pasta there is Walnut Gorgonzola and Pear. And they have a fabulous dessert which is essentially vanilla gelato with an incredible orange sauce.) While you are over on that side of town, you might consider adding the Galleria Borghese to your itinerary that day. You do need to have advance timed reservations. The building itself is fabulous and the sculptures by Bernini and others are magnificent.

My favorite museum in Rome is the Capitoline, located at the edge of the Roman Forum. Their 2000-year-old bronze of Marcus Aurelius on horseback is not to be missed in my opinion. Many wonderful treasures there. When you are done, walk across the plaza and up the staircase on the right-hand side of the building across from you. Turn right at the top of the stairs and go through the last door, I believe it's marked number 10. You will come out in the little café at the top of the Vittorio Emmanuel monument and can enjoy a coffee and a snack overlooking the entire forum.

On to the next step. I have emailed the owner to ask if we can drop off luggage OR if he has any other suggestions of what we could do while waiting.

Here's my updated ideas

Day 1- Explore around our apartment/parks there. Looks to be one right by us. Relax and catch up on the time difference

Day 2-

Trevi fountain

Pantheon

Piazza Navona

Day 3-

Spanish steps

Borghese gallery and park

Day 4-

Colosseum

Arch of Constantine

Palatine Hill

Museum there

Day 5

Vatican area and tours.

I feel really good about this right now and feel like this is actually doable. That, and we won't feel like we're running from place to place to see everything.

This is more than doable, you've left lots of time on the table every day except the last two, which are pretty full.

I love to relax and people watch, but even I couldn't spend an entire day at the Trevi fountain, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. You'll be able to add in lots of stops on this day.

On to the next step. I have emailed the owner to ask if we can drop off luggage OR if he has any other suggestions of what we could do while waiting.

Here's my updated ideas

Day 1- Explore around our apartment/parks there. Looks to be one right by us. Relax and catch up on the time difference

You are so close to Trevi Fountain. I would plan to get yourself settled, maybe a BRIEF nap in the afternoon. Just before sunset, walk down to Trevi Fountain. It's such a great "opener" and magical to see it at that time of day. Wander and find a spot for dinner.

Day 2-

Trevi fountain

Pantheon

Piazza Navona

Agree with euro cruiser that this day is light. I would add Campo dei Fiori and then continue walking down to the Piazza della Bocca della Verita (the "Mouth of Truth"), it's a pretty area with a couple of beautiful old Roman temples and of course you can play Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn at the Bocca della Verita. ;)

Alternatively, you could plan to visit Castel Sant'Angelo after Piazza Navona, it's not a long walk and you can cross over the iconic angel bridge on your way.

Day 3-

Spanish steps

Borghese gallery and park

Perhaps add the Ara Pacis, the Altar of Peace from the reign of Caesar Augustus. It's not far from the end of Via Condotti, the famous shopping street that starts at the foot of the Spanish Steps (which is fun to walk along and window shop).

Day 4-

Colosseum

Arch of Constantine

Palatine Hill

Museum there

You do not mention the Forum, but your ticket includes it and you should definitely walk through it. The Capitoline Museum -- I assume that's the one you mean? -- also has a wonderful overlook with an incomparable view over the Forum; not to be missed!

Day 5

Vatican area and tours.

I feel really good about this right now and feel like this is actually doable. That, and we won't feel like we're running from place to place to see everything.

See my comments above. I think it's good to have plans in mind, even if you don't end up doing all of them. Some days you may be wishing for another idea or two.