URGENT. Suitcarriers and beach towels

Glyn1947

We're off tomorrow to the Caribbean! Some last minute information would be helpful. Can you leave your suit carrier with your other luggage for the porters to take or do you have to carry it on yourself? Also when we go to the beaches do we need to take our own beach towels or does the ship ( Ventura) provide them? Thank you for your help?

My husband has always handed in his suitcarrier to the porters and it has always arrived.... label it very well though.

Mind you, with the new check in procedure, if you arrive near to your allocated time, you should be able to board almost immediately, so if you take it with you, you won't have to be carrying it round for a long time.

Have a lovely time :)

Edited by Scriv

We're off tomorrow to the Caribbean! Some last minute information would be helpful. Can you leave your suit carrier with your other luggage for the porters to take or do you have to carry it on yourself? Also when we go to the beaches do we need to take our own beach towels or does the ship ( Ventura) provide them? Thank you for your help?

If its leather I would put it through. Anything less than leather I wouldn't chance it. OH has put his through ok quite a few times.

The whole idea of a suit carrier is to ensure my suits remain uncreased and cared for ! Wouldn't dream of putting it through the conveyor belt. The suit carrier it's self may arrive in tact, but what's the point of having it laying around under a top load of luggage for an hour or two, not to mention the state of ones suits/clothes when it eventually arrives at your stateroom.

Edited by Bell Boy

The whole idea of a suit carrier is to ensure my suits remain uncreased and cared for ! Wouldn't dream of putting it through the conveyor belt. The suit carrier it's self may arrive in tact, but what's the point of having it laying around under a top load of luggage for an hour or two, not to mention the state of ones suits/clothes when it eventually arrives at your stateroom.

OH's is a leather one. Suits/jackets always arrived in the same state they went in the hanger in. IE perfect, no creases etc.

I agree if its one of the those flimsy nylon jobbies I would not put on of those in the hole in the wall.

Seeing how people treat them in the terminals (ie the people they belong to) I can see putting them through with the cases is no different.

We just did the pre Xmas on Britannia to the Caribbean, when our case finally came off (last) it had been damaged so we went to the TC desk whilst in the queue to fill in the forms the couple in front of us were reporting their suit carrier had not arrived!!!! The gentleman was very upset said he had 2 suits in the carrier both expensive.

My OH only takes one suit - his tux, I pack it at the top of the case just before we leave the house and it always arrives in perfect condition, I do pack it in a lightweight suit carrier with a hanger so it keeps its shape and our cases are large ones that only needs the suit folding once, when we get back home and it has been in the case a long time it is never creased.

I wouldn't risk a suit carrier and it is one more thing to keep tabs on.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise

We usually take 2 suit carriers with us and always put them through with the other luggage. They are not the flimsy types and in 10+ cruises we have never had any problems. (Touch wood!!!)

This is on ex-Southampton cruises, not fly-cruises.

Michele

wouldn't risk a suit carrier and it is one more thing to keep tabs on.

Which in the is the reason I nopw pack suits in the cases.

Few cruises ago remembered to bring all the cases back home with us, except for the suit carrier. Had to pay £29 to have it sent to us..whoops!

We abandoned a suit carrier after our first cruise. It's amazing how well things come out of a case and it's so much easier. I just put jackets on the very top. I felt very sorry for a family on one cruise they were lugging about 8 carriers [emoji52] in the days before cabins were ready in embarkation.

Edited by Florry

We abandoned a suit carrier after our first cruise. It's amazing how well things come out of a case and it's so much easier. I just put jackets on the very top. I felt very sorry for a family on one cruise they were lugging about 8 carriers [emoji52] in the days before cabins were ready in embarkation.

Yes Florry, agree. Once I started packing with jackets at the top of the case, I was always surprised with how well they come out.

I wonder how they ended up with so many suit carriers. Cant just have been for suits, maybe her dresses in there as well.

Now that I would not understand. I have always purchased dresses, that maybe long, but they do not crease and scrunch up to nothing...chiffon etc.

Sometimes if there's a wedding party they seem to have various bags with dresses, suits etc. Agree with Florry: we had suit bags for our first cruise but now just do as others by putting jackets etc on the top of the case and they are just fine. I also hang up my dresses in the bathroom when the shower's on for the steam to freshen them up

Assume you're on Ventura, Glyn. Enjoy and come back and tell us all about it. We're doing the equivalent cruise next year

I guess it is safer to take it on with you... on the subject of beach towels though, surely we are not allowed to take the blue towels off the ship?

Yes you can. See P&O website

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/on-shore/towell_ashore

Brian

Such a relief too - taking two or more large beach towels of your own and the impact on your baggage allowance would be significant. I hadn't previously thought through the implications if you weren't provided with towels either - that you'd also have to to dry out your own towels each day which would be would be an issue - and they'd need laundering quite frequently too. What a good thing that towels are provided!!

In fact in the Caribbean it's easy to identify which people on the beach are from which ship with all the 'company' towels on view. We use it as a means of approaching other friendly passengers from 'our' ship to ask if they would be kind enough to just keep an eye on our things as we go for a swim - then reciprocate of course! ;)