Freedom of the Seas - Jan 17th 2016 sailing

As usual, I don't do the full reviews, I just tell you the basic stuff as we saw it and answer questions. If you have any questions, fire away and I'll do my best. I don't always do these when we cruise, but this seems like a good one to write up.

The ship:

Freedom-class ships are a weird beast for me. I actually got into a conversation with a woman on the ship about this and she insisted that Freedom-Class ships and Voyager-class ships are NOTHING alike, at all. I think that was about the differences between men and women? To me, they are nearly identical because they are so architecturally similar and one is simply longer. She was pointing out the decorative differences and things like Sabor. It was a funny conversation because we both were correct, from our viewpoint.

That said, these ships aren't my favorite. They are too long from end to end and really need a central elevator bank. The Freedom is the most up-to-date ship in this class and it's still lacking in some ways to me.

I'm a huge fan of the internal promenade setup and that's a huge positive about this ship.

The addition of Sabor and deletion of the night club is a positive to me, even though I loved The Crypt.

The solarium is excellent on this ship and we used it a lot.

We had excellent service from many of the crew around the ship. I didn't flash a bunch of a Hamiltons around as soon as I arrived, either! Who would believe that?

The food:

We ate at Sabor, which is different than the Sabor on Oasis. This is a cover-charge instead of a la carte restaurant. My wife ate the guac on Oasis ($4-5???) several times. She just had several bowls (seriously, it's hilarious to see a tiny woman pound food like she does) the night we went there. The food was wonderful and we were stuffed. Our waiter kept slipping up and talking about Chops because he had just moved down. We saw him a few times throughout the cruise around the ship and I'd say "Hey man, welcome to Chops!"

We ate at Chops with a free dining voucher. The food was much better than my previous Chops experiences. I'd say I was happy with it. They still aren't a great place, but it was good. Especially, for free.

The biggest BOOOOOO! at Chops was our fellow guests. A party of 6 came in and sat right next to us. They were obnoxious!!! INSANELY OBNOXIOUS. The main guy in the group was basically yelling to the others the entire time. I looked over at him and did the "keep it down" gesture several times. To his credit, he always apologized. Within 60 seconds, he was back to full volume. He also told quasi-racist jokes (I say quasi because I don't think he was intentionally awful, but he definitely was very racist), told several detailed sex stories about his many visits to nude beaches (one was very descriptive tale of the body parts on what he called underage teens, the main part of story took place at said nude beach and was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY out of line), and he repeatedly mentioned this was his 108th cruise. After the one story that was just beyond offensive, I looked over and politely said something. He apologized and immediately started making fun of prudes. His tablemate decided that meant something about my choice of political candidates in next year's election (I'm not sure how that relates and didn't see the connection between the perv story and that candidate) and thought that was hilarious. You can't fix stupid. Thankfully, we were leaving within a few minutes and we didn't have to put up with it much longer.

The dining room was typical. The food was hit/miss and the hits were awesome. The misses were meh. The staff on the whole was really nice, except we had a weird experience one night. We do MTD and must have come at a weird time. They told us we could either wait 60 minutes for a table in our usual area or have immediate seating in another area. We chose immediate. We were completely ignored for more than 10 minutes after being seated. No water. No bread. No "we're swamped, I'll be over ASAP" or anything. Just ignored. We had no idea who was covering that area. Finally, I flagged down a random waiter and got some water. Another 10 minutes and nothing. I saw the head waiter and flagged him down. He came over and apologized, got us some bread and menus, and said he'd correct it right away. He went to the waiter, who had been at a nearby table about 15 times since we sat down (we didn't know him by name, so we weren't sure whose table it was) and the waiter came over, said "I'll be with you soon" and oddly shook my hand??? I'm not sure why? He eventually back came over, was 100% disinterested, took our order, and that was almost all we saw of him. He didn't seem to have many tables, nor did he seem busy, but he wasn't good. Another couple sat down next to us and we watched it happen all over again. I told them we experienced the same and pointed out the waiter and assistant. They got proactive and started flagging them down. They told us they didn't sit in their normal section because the wait was too long. Sounds similar to our story.

WJ was the WJ. The promenade food was typical.

The ports:

Boo on the Haitians! I'm not involved in your elections, go away. Protesting me does no good.

Jamaica was extra filthy. We met a few really nice people, but the place looks likes a post-apocolyptic war zone. A couple we met in the solarium told us some scary stories from their trip to Montego Bay. We don't know them, but they sounded like pretty seasoned travelers and they still had fun, but ran into some weird things... groping, excessive drug pushing, (it's Jamaica... everyone knows there is some, but they said this was extremely pushy and hostile) and some funny stuff going on with some witnessed spiking... roofie-style. I didn't see that myself, but they didn't seem to be making it up. They seemed concerned. We did a ship plantation tour because the weather looked bad. We liked it and had a good time. We usually do active/adventure stuff, so this was a pleasant change.

Grand Caymen is deluxe! We had never been and we loved it. It was clean, friendly, and beautiful! We did Capt. Marvin's 3-stop snorkel tour including Stingray City. The water was super choppy (the previous 2 days, no tours were allowed out) but we loved it. We got a ton of video and photos.

Cozumel, we tried Mr. Sanchos for the first time. It was tropical storm windy, but we had great time. We did the all-inclusive side ($55 a head, so $110) and kept a running tally. We had good food & pretty good drinks. We stayed for almost 5 hours and I was keeping a notebook page of our orders. I tabulated the page with the photos of the menu and we would've spent $264. The rub is that we NEVER would've spent close to that if we were paying on the other side. Never. I drank more because it was included. We ate more (not having much breakfast anticipating it) and we ate more expensive items because they were included.

The conclusion:

We had a great vacation. It was wonderful to get away. We had a few hiccups. We had a lot of rest and relaxation. We didn't worry a lot, but we did smile a lot. We simply don't think this is class of ship for us. I still think Navigator is my personal favorite ship in the fleet. My wife likes her, too, but I'm not sure she has a true favorite.

Glad you had a wonderful cruise. You said Navigator is your favorite! May I ask why? We are going on her in April in a GS and want to know what not to miss. Have been on Freedom 3 times and enjoy our time on her. Any hints will be appreciated!

Interesting note on the bed being firm on one side. Maybe it means all these people complaining about beds being extra firm are helping to break them in before we arrive in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loved your review and your humor! This also answered any questions about sailing to Jamaica. Think we'll stick with other itineraries.

The area around the port was nice enough, if you didn't leave the compound. I'll try to post a few shots of what I meant by post-apocalyptic, but it was bad. Don't skip a cruise just because it stops here, though. You can stay in the port area or research a private tour.

Less than 2 weeks ago ( http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=6752) there was a harsh bus crash and it was easy to see how that happened. As with most islands in the Caribbean, traffic laws are hints or suggestions, at best. We wound up swapping a little paint with another bus on our trip up the mountain. The driver brushed it off as routine.

If that scares you, skip it.

Glad you had a wonderful cruise. You said Navigator is your favorite! May I ask why? We are going on her in April in a GS and want to know what not to miss. Have been on Freedom 3 times and enjoy our time on her. Any hints will be appreciated!

We've done Liberty 1x and Freedom 2x now, but yeah, Navigator is my favorite.

I guess the best way to describe it is that it's the Goldilocks ship for me. It's not too big and it's not too small, it's just right. I wish it had a Park Café, though.

The feel of the ship just really works for me. It's easy to get around. There were a lot of people and it was a relatively large ship, but it still felt small enough. It has a Flowrider, Izumi, and Sabor now. The solarium has a really great feel and we spent a lot of time lounging there.

It's still big enough to have the cool stuff like the ice rink (my wife loves the ice shows) and the huge hot tub in the gym.

If we can ever steal her from Galveston and bring her to Florida, I'd cruise on her every time I could. We've been on her in the Caribbean and in the Med, doesn't matter. She's a great ship in my book.

Interesting note on the bed being firm on one side. Maybe it means all these people complaining about beds being extra firm are helping to break them in before we arrive in March.

I swear we tried our best to help the efforts. :eek:

We've been to Jamaica several times (married there and stayed in a few AI's), and yes it isn't for the faint of heart. We had someone shot and killed right outside our resort when we were there for our wedding, and we were staying in fabulous places. Not sure which tour we should do there, did the plantation tour include shopping ( I hate the shopping excursions in Jamaica, I walk out with 100 thirst I didn't want).

For your Grand Cayman tour was this offered through RCI, or did you arrange this on your own?

Thank you!

We've been to Jamaica several times (married there and stayed in a few AI's), and yes it isn't for the faint of heart. We had someone shot and killed right outside our resort when we were there for our wedding, and we were staying in fabulous places. Not sure which tour we should do there, did the plantation tour include shopping ( I hate the shopping excursions in Jamaica, I walk out with 100 thirst I didn't want).

For your Grand Cayman tour was this offered through RCI, or did you arrange this on your own?

Thank you!

First... YIKES!

The plantation tour was RCI and it did not include shopping. They took you up to the Good Hope Plantation and it was $39 a person. That tour included just the grounds, a guided tour of the main house/grounds, pool, fishing pond, and the aviary. It is on the same grounds as MANY of the other ship tours. This particular excursion wasn't listed on the Royal website (just checked again and it still isn't) but I'm pretty sure it was just called "Good Hope Plantation Tour" on the ship. They had a gift shop, but it wasn't true shopping.

Interestingly, when I looked at the website I saw many of the other options that are all at the exact same location:

Royal Extreme Challenge

Thrill Seeker's Pass

Ultimate Thrill Seeker's Pass

High Tea at Good Hope Estate

Chukka River Tubing Safari

Chukka Zipline Canopy and River Tubing

There were people with all sorts of different wristbands on our bus. They just pointed everyone to the bus and said "Get on, it all goes to the same place mon!"

The Captain Marvin's tour was booked privately. They had an office about 300' from the port exit, so you could always just walk to it if you don't want to book through their website, which I'm sure a simple Googling will find.

Check out the 'Bringing Snacks' thread on the main Royal board, I think you'll like it. ;):eek:

Thanks! Will do.

Oh... and on your % posts in other threads, there is a song lyric that I always think of when I describe myself. It's a small band from Cincinnati called Over the Rhine.

"You were 80% angel, 10% demon, the rest was hard to explain..."

- What I'll Remember Most

Thanks! Will do.

Oh... and on your % posts in other threads, there is a song lyric that I always think of when I describe myself. It's a small band from Cincinnati called Over the Rhine.

"You were 80% angel, 10% demon, the rest was hard to explain..."

- What I'll Remember Most

There are probably a few Brits and Aussies that would put me in the 110% demon category. I was in rare form. :eek:

Edited by John&LaLa

Good review - thanks. I'm with you - I think of Freedom Class as merely Voyager Class on steroids. Bummed that Navigator left - once she had the upgrades, she was a great ship. But it will be interesting to see all the changes on Liberty.

My two cents on Falmouth - we went to Margaritaville within the port and spent the day in the pool and hanging at the swimup bar. We felt like we were at a resort, had some time off the ship but felt safe since we were in the port. So if you want a little break, head there. We had a great time.

Reading about the obnoxious guy at the next table...all I kept thinking of was this scene:

You nailed it.

That's basically what he was like, except for the apologies. I'm always a little weirded out by people that do something, apologize, then do that same thing again a minute later. It's an odd disconnect between the brain and the heart.

Good review - thanks. I'm with you - I think of Freedom Class as merely Voyager Class on steroids. Bummed that Navigator left - once she had the upgrades, she was a great ship. But it will be interesting to see all the changes on Liberty.

My two cents on Falmouth - we went to Margaritaville within the port and spent the day in the pool and hanging at the swimup bar. We felt like we were at a resort, had some time off the ship but felt safe since we were in the port. So if you want a little break, head there. We had a great time.

I guess it's perception. She didn't leave, she came back.

Doesn't Margaritaville have decent WiFi

:) True that John, true that. Although before she was in Texas, she was in New Orleans. So you guys really sent her away for a good bit. Hope you can sail on her - she is really lovely now with her "facelift".

We didn't deal with their internet since we had voom on oasis but yes, I do believe they have good wifi there.

:) True that John, true that. Although before she was in Texas, she was in New Orleans. So you guys really sent her away for a good bit. Hope you can sail on her - she is really lovely now with her "facelift".

We didn't deal with their internet since we had voom on oasis but yes, I do believe they have good wifi there.

I can't keep up with where these ships berth. Luckily we have Patti and Bob. Port Canaveral only gets hand me downs as well. Still a year away from having time to go sail the new ships.