International air US connections

sparks1093

I see you already know about the pre-clearance in Montreal-Trudeau (YUL). I say a little more about it as I went through t there. The pre-clearance at YUL uses both Automated Kiosks and Human. It speeds it up getting through Pre-clearance with the kiosks is quick (although it does depend on time of day), with just a quick verification from a CBP officer.

You should have enough time to connect as long if you flight is not delayed.

Like other users said, always double check and allow enough time to make sure you ready.

Thanks for the info!

Unless you are saving a whole lot of money per person why would anyone want to foll with going through customs so many times when you don't have to do it?

I won't be doing this unless we save a lot of money (but of course "a lot of money" is defined differently by different people [heck, I've defined "a lot of money" differently within my life time:)]).

I think this is the app:

http://mobilepassport.us

typical government, it isn't really clear - I'm not sure since it just talks about Customs, not Immigration. Maybe you still do Immigration, but you don't have to fill out the customs form, but do that part on the app. And, it is only at certain airports right now.

I think this is the app:

http://mobilepassport.us

typical government, it isn't really clear - I'm not sure since it just talks about Customs, not Immigration. Maybe you still do Immigration, but you don't have to fill out the customs form, but do that part on the app. And, it is only at certain airports right now.

Yes, that's the one and it isn't very clear, especially where it may be used. As a US citizen I don't have to clear Immigration so having everything filled out and reviewed for Customs could save some time for some (I rarely have anything significant to declare anyway so Customs is usually quick, once I've gotten through the line).

As a US citizen I don't have to clear Immigration

I am sorry, but EVERYONE has to clear immigration. Now the fact that you are a citizen means you don't need a visa or other special documentation/processing, but trust me...you have gone, and will go through "immigration" every time you cross the USA border.

That is, unless you are sneaking in or were on THIS FLIGHT.

I am sorry, but EVERYONE has to clear immigration. Now the fact that you are a citizen means you don't need a visa or other special documentation/processing, but trust me...you have gone, and will go through "immigration" every time you cross the USA border.

That is, unless you are sneaking in or were on THIS FLIGHT.

Yes, the CBP Officer does fill that function, I meant that I don't have to meet with an Immigration Inspector.

Yes, the CBP Officer does fill that function, I meant that I don't have to meet with an Immigration Inspector.

I haven't done a land crossing so can't speak to that, but when you arrive in the US by plane you WILL generally cross paths with 2 different officials. First you clear immigration (one official), THEN you collect your bags and take them through customs (2nd official). It is 2 separate processes; one takes place before you get your bags, and one takes place afterward. No doubt the process is a little different when you are pre-clearing in Canada for an outbound flight to the US, but at this point I've lost track of what you've decided to do.

I haven't done a land crossing so can't speak to that, but when you arrive in the US by plane you WILL generally cross paths with 2 different officials. First you clear immigration (one official), THEN you collect your bags and take them through customs (2nd official). It is 2 separate processes; one takes place before you get your bags, and one takes place afterward. No doubt the process is a little different when you are pre-clearing in Canada for an outbound flight to the US, but at this point I've lost track of what you've decided to do.

I think you are using the term "immigration" and I am using the term "verifying admissibility" to mean the same thing. In both instances it is a CBP Officer that you are dealing with, not an employee of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (which is what I think of when someone says immigration, I have friends that work for both agencies and they can be touchy about what their roles are and aren't;)). (At a land crossing it's just one person.)

Edited by sparks1093

I think you are using the term "immigration" and I am using the term "verifying admissibility" to mean the same thing. In both instances it is a CBP Officer that you are dealing with, not an employee of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (which is what I think of when someone says immigration, I have friends that work for both agencies and they can be touchy about what their roles are and aren't;)). (At a land crossing it's just one person.)

Yes, I'm aware that it is CBP officers who handle both immigration and customs when you arrive at a US airport after an international flight. I'm using the term "immigration" because that is what the procedure is actually called when you, a person, are cleared to enter the country. "Customs" refers to your bags and/or other goods being cleared to enter the country. Two separate things, and generally conducted as two separate processes upon arrival at US airports. ;)