Diamond Princess

Fish66

Thanks. That doc didnt come up in the search - just medical journal articles. Will look through.

Ā 

Dont appreciate your other comment though.

Ā 

Still waiting for your admission that you are wrong. Appreciation of my comments isnt necessary, just admission of BS.

My computer is at work and I am not today.

Ā 

Just wondering your posts are so aggressive? Many people disagree on things but your posts take on a far more demanding and aggressive tone? Not the first time I've noticed this.

Passenger Stephen Dinale had this to say to news.com.au:

Ā 

Passenger Stephen Dinale, from Sydney,*told Fairfax that people were vomiting in the pools*and running down corridors covering their mouths.

Ā 

ā€œYou would be [in] the elevator and I would be hitting the button with my knuckle and other people would be running down the corridor holding their mouths ... a lot of the staff would be wearing face masks, gloves,ā€ Mr Dinale said.

Ā 

Bit sensationalist perhaps?

Passenger Stephen Dinale had this to say to news.com.au:

Ā 

Passenger Stephen Dinale, from Sydney,*told Fairfax that people were vomiting in the pools*and running down corridors covering their mouths.

Ā 

ā€œYou would be [in] the elevator and I would be hitting the button with my knuckle and other people would be running down the corridor holding their mouths ... a lot of the staff would be wearing face masks, gloves,ā€ Mr Dinale said.

Ā 

Bit sensationalist perhaps?

Ā 

Sensationalism in the news?

Ā 

Nah never happen.

Ā 

Sad really.

One passenger who was interviewed by Channel 7 said "I won't be going on that ship again". Hello!! Doesn't she realise it's most likely not the ship but the passengers with appalling personal hygiene habits.:confused:

Edited by happysnapper

Having come off the Diamond a few weeks ago, I will say that I am not surprised that there was an outbreak - albeit a smallish one. There were insufficient sanitisers around the place and people disregarding the staff asking them to not enter the food area without sanitising their hands (or going through the exit area instead of the entry area where the sanitisers are).

Ā 

The link between Noro and the lack of sanitisers on the ship is none existent. The hand sanitiser does not affect the noro virus. The only sure way to get rid of the Noro virus is to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, before and after every meal as well as after using the bathroom. Cruise staff cannot enforce that unless they install sinks at all restaurants and force each person to use it.

Ā 

Majority of the time there is zero link between the ship and noro, its all the passengers. Unless of course the ship gets trapped with the Noro for several cruises, which would usually indicate lack of cleaning of the ship, which in 99.99% of cases is not the issue.

One passenger who was interviewed by Channel 7 said "I won't be going on that ship again". Hello!! Doesn't she realise it's most likely not the ship but the passengers with appalling personal hygiene habits.:confused:

Ā 

So true, some people are just grots

A bloke on local radio, saying he'd just got off DP. And praising the way they dealt with it. He said that he saw at least 4 people stopped by crew and told that they had previously been restricted to heir cabin because they had Noro, but we're strolling around the deck.

The link between Noro and the lack of sanitisers on the ship is none existent. The hand sanitiser does not affect the noro virus. The only sure way to get rid of the Noro virus is to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, before and after every meal as well as after using the bathroom. Cruise staff cannot enforce that unless they install sinks at all restaurants and force each person to use it.

Ā 

One of the interesting design features with Quantum is that on entry to the buffet they have installed sinks, and you are now directed into there on entry to wash your hands. Well designed!

Then you need to read more - start here: https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/guidelines-management-norovirus_0.pdf

Ā 

This document contains the reference to the study that identified asymptomatic people with noro.

Ā 

The reference is interesting. The study by Graham et al administered noro orally to a group of people, 82% became infected; and 68% symptomatic and 32% not. This was a true lab environment where they knew the people had direct (oral) exposure to the virus. (Brave people volunteering for such a study! :eek:)

Ā 

I cant access the other article referenced by Whyte.

Ā 

The CDC references asymptomatic ranges of from 5 - 16% in the general population (as opposed to the Graham study where people were directly exposed to the virus - so a lab environment) but also state that the relationship between the role of asymptomatic infection in transmission and outbreaks of norovirus remains unclear.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6003a1.htm

Ā 

So obviously you are right in that people can have the virus in their system and not be symptomatic. The relationship between that and giving it to other people is unclear according to the CDC.

One of the interesting design features with Quantum is that on entry to the buffet they have installed sinks, and you are now directed into there on entry to wash your hands. Well designed!

Ā 

Agreed, that will help considerably.:D

The reference is interesting. The study by Graham et al administered noro orally to a group of people, 82% became infected; and 68% symptomatic and 32% not. This was a true lab environment where they knew the people had direct (oral) exposure to the virus. (Brave people volunteering for such a study! :eek:)

Ā 

I cant access the other article referenced by Whyte.

Ā 

The CDC references asymptomatic ranges of from 5 - 16% in the general population (as opposed to the Graham study where people were directly exposed to the virus - so a lab environment) but also state that the relationship between the role of asymptomatic infection in transmission and outbreaks of norovirus remains unclear.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6003a1.htm

Ā 

So obviously you are right in that people can have the virus in their system and not be symptomatic. The relationship between that and giving it to other people is unclear according to the CDC.

Ā 

So people can be infected and have no symptoms or mild symptoms unlike your earlier statement:

I still say if it is true Noro you are so ill you want and need medical help. So true noro does get reported. Noro is not just a normal tummy bug.

Ā 

And just in case you need more:

Most people have a mild illness that lasts two to three days.
Reference: http://www.medicinenet.com/norovirus_infection/page2.htm#what_are_norovirus_infection_symptoms_and_signs_in_adults_children_and_babies (start of 3rd paragraph).

Ā 

And much as you want to quote the CDCs uncertainty re asymptomatic people transmitting noro the bottom line is everyone should stop blaming other people and start taking better care of their own hygiene. Otherwise the next cruise ship you are on with an outbreak you might be an asymptomatic spreader - spreading that can only be prevented by good personal hygiene.

Having read through this thread I'm pretty sure that people here don't need the lecture on how to wash hands - it is the one's who don't post here who might.

Ā 

Completely agree. Maybe someone should publish a new book "Personal Hygiene for Idiots".:rolleyes:

Edited by happysnapper

Having read through this thread I'm pretty sure that people here don't need the lecture on how to wash hands - it is the one's who don't post here who might.

Ā 

So you are completely unable to admit to being very wrong.

Ā 

I was very polite in how I pointed that out but you acused me of attitude. So if its attitude you want...

Ā 

I was very polite in how I pointed that out but you acused me of attitude. So if its attitude you want...

Ā 

I have already said you were right when that study found over 30% of its experimental group had no symptoms . Sheesh. Does this work for you?

Ā 

YOU WERE RIGHT

Ā 

I could make it sparkly if I could be bothered. But I am done with this discussion, I need to go wash my hands.

Ā 

Ā 

I believe she did say in a previous post "you where right". May I respectively say "enough is enough". Cruise Critic is for information sharing and not attitude.:cool: