Diamond Princess

Fish66

I've spoken to a couple of people that are actually on the ship and said they spoke to others that said

We were sick for a day or two but didn't think we had to report it

YET they still ate in food places on the ship and still walked around spreading their germs around

That's how I know !!!!

Selfish inconsiderate people

On the Cunard forum, it has been reported there is currently an outbreak on Queen Elizabeth. We're boarding in Adelaide in less than 2 weeks!

Last time we cruised in November, it was present on Radiance when we boarded as well. This year it seems to be more prevalent - or getting more publicity.

As a family we were struck by a gastro bug, 5 weeks ago, hit us with no warning one after another and not food related but luckily we were not on a cruise. Not nice though and took a while to get over.

On the Cunard forum, it has been reported there is currently an outbreak on Queen Elizabeth. We're boarding in Adelaide in less than 2 weeks!

Last time we cruised in November, it was present on Radiance when we boarded as well. This year it seems to be more prevalent - or getting more publicity.

As a family we were struck by a gastro bug, 5 weeks ago, hit us with no warning one after another and not food related but luckily we were not on a cruise. Not nice though and took a while to get over.

Its always been around, and is prevalent where people gather in numbers.

At least with more publicity, hopefully more people will become aware of Noro and take steps to prevent its spread.

Diamond Princess docked in Sydney with 158 people with Gastro this morning

A lot of people did not report it - not fair on others

If you get sick REPORT IT....

I reported it on here a couple of days ago from my wife and grand daughter on board DP. They have not got it, yet !!

It seems like most cruises these days have a noro outbreak of variable severity.

I've been on a couple of cruises where outbreaks have occurred. Unless you are one of the unfortunates to actually get it, the inconveneince caused to other passengers is hardly a total disaster. Having said that though people should be a bit more considerate generally and wash their hands regularly - there are plenty of opportunities on the ships to do so.:)

Having come off the Diamond a few weeks ago, I will say that I am not surprised that there was an outbreak - albeit a smallish one. There were insufficient sanitisers around the place and people disregarding the staff asking them to not enter the food area without sanitising their hands (or going through the exit area instead of the entry area where the sanitisers are).

Edited by SunnyinDubai

Its interesting watching the health habits of others. Colds are another one. God we humans are a disgusting lot! Have been on a cruise with noro - not the best. But I thought with true noro there is no escaping with not reporting it as it is so debilitating. If thats the case then really its just a tummy bug that you can get anywhere.

Maybe we are too quick to cry Noro when its just another mild upset?

Just like people cry Flu when its just a cold.

Diamond Princess docked in Sydney with 158 people with Gastro this morning

A lot of people did not report it - not fair on others

If you get sick REPORT IT....

At the very least quarantine yourself, if you are too gutless to report it.

Its interesting watching the health habits of others. Colds are another one. God we humans are a disgusting lot! Have been on a cruise with noro - not the best. But I thought with true noro there is no escaping with not reporting it as it is so debilitating. If thats the case then really its just a tummy bug that you can get anywhere.

Maybe we are too quick to cry Noro when its just another mild upset?

Just like people cry Flu when its just a cold.

Ain't that the truth, get the runs on a cruise and it's Noro, get the sniffles and it's man flu or worse.

I still say if it is true Noro you are so ill you want and need medical help. So true noro does get reported. Noro is not just a normal tummy bug.

I had Noro once on a cruise and I thought I was going to die. It was the sickest I had been for a long, long time. There is no way I could have carried on as normal.

I had Noro once on a cruise and I thought I was going to die. It was the sickest I had been for a long, long time. There is no way I could have carried on as normal.

Same here, I have a low immunity being a Coeliac, I have been hit hard with noro half a dozen times in my 20 or so ocean cruises, I too thought I was going to die, flat on my bunk for a week.

Edited by NSWP

I still say if it is true Noro you are so ill you want and need medical help. So true noro does get reported. Noro is not just a normal tummy bug.

Up to 1/3rd of people who catch (and can pass on) noro have no symptoms!

So sorry but you are factually wrong.

Up to 1/3rd of people who catch (and can pass on) noro have no symptoms!

So sorry but you are factually wrong.

If you have no symptoms then how does someone know they have Noro? Are you suggesting symptomless people have blood tests to confirm?

I'm not reading anywhere that noro can be symptomless. You can certainly be 'infectious' for a while afterwards but originally would have had digestive symptoms first. .

Edited by Pushka

If you have no symptoms then how does someone know they have Noro? Are you suggesting symptomless people have blood tests to confirm?

I'm not reading anywhere that noro can be symptomless. You can certainly be 'infectious' for a while afterwards but originally would have had digestive symptoms first. .

Then you need to read more - start here: https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/guidelines-management-norovirus_0.pdf

This document contains the reference to the study that identified asymptomatic people with noro.

Then you need to read more - start here: https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/guidelines-management-norovirus_0.pdf

This document contains the reference to the study that identified asymptomatic people with noro.

Thanks. That doc didnt come up in the search - just medical journal articles. Will look through.

Dont appreciate your other comment though.

Edited by Pushka

Just off the Diamond Princess.

The ship areas were very clean throughout the cruise and sanitisers within reach of all passengers. Had a great cruise, don't know anyone who was sick but once the sick numbers were up, the crew went into overdrive with sanitation. Professionally handled, would have stayed on ship for next cruise, loved it that much.