Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Shaun, I've read your posts and agonized along with you. We know how terrified you were. You've been articulate and communicated your terror, the fear for your life, the devastation you observed on the ship, your loss of faith in the captain and the cruise line, and the emotional wringer you went through on this cruise. I encourage you take time to think carefully about whether you really do want to put yourself in a potentially similar situation and take another cruise. You've told us you feared death. That's pretty heavy. And it's likely not something you'll recover from quickly.

You might want to cancel or postpone your upcoming cruises to give yourself some time to recover and think about it. You need to sort out your fear and bad experiences and balance those negatives against your love of sailing. That may take a little time. Please know this is just a suggestion offered in the spirit of compassion. (Although I know that Niatpak29 will call me a name or two and accuse me of something, I'm giving you the exact same advice I'd give my own son.) I wish you well and hope you recover emotionally from this experience.

Judy

This is good advice and very kindly expressed. However, I'm going to add that perhaps you should consider waiting 3 weeks before acting on it (assuming you're not up against a deadline.) The reason is that a few weeks might give you just enough time to recover your outlook a bit without risking losing any good deals you may have reserved. Best wishes whatever you decide.

I know, thank you. I really don't thing things will be all fixed by then. I wish they would just let us switch ships if we don't feel comfortable going on that ship with that captain.

RC could take that ship into a six month dry dock and it would still not be fixed in your eyes. You have put yourself in such a lose lose situation for the coming cruise that no matter what happens it will not be good.

As to being able to switch ships less than a month out. Most cruise lines are fully sold out within a month of sailing so where do you think they could put you? Particularly when you have thrown done the gauntlet and are looking for perfection where it is I'm possible to deliver.

This is the best picture I have of something to measure the tilt:

e6a205a07d57fa48e834dc44e1e48b14.jpg

I have no idea if that photo is useful or not for determining the degree of the tilt of the shape. But thank you for posting it!

And glad you are safe and no (major?) injuries. And appreciate you keeping us updated throughout this rough experience. Also.. sorry you were bumped form GMA.. that show is trash anyways :D

I explained that a few days ago. Remember Isacc Newton, the math guy from England. He stated that the if the net force on an object is zero, then it is stationary. Which leads to a couple of obvious things. An object at rest will tend to stay at rest unless some force acts upon it. The other consequence is the one that you witnessed an object in motion will not change its motion unless a force acts upon it.

Simply stated the object your curtain when you are at the dock in Bayonne is hanging straight down. It doesn't move until you open the door and the wind blows it. The force, Luke.

When your ship is at sea the object your curtain, swings it starts in motion due to the force, Gravity, as the ship rolls on the wave. It continues to swing even after the ship has stopped the roll because it is in motion it wants to continue then after the ship rolls the force Gravity is now acting on the curtain in the opposite way and it swings back. The ship might be rolling to 15 degrees, but the curtain could easily swing to 30 degrees or more.

A 15 degree shift in a cruise ship is a huge movement, when people say things like it moved to 30 or even 45 that is a crazy monstrous movement. People are skeptical when those kind of numbers are shared. Could it happen, yes, did it happen. Not likely, in fact I would bet a cruise on it.

JC

Did you see the lead story on CNN's website last night? They reported interviews with passengers as they disembarked. One passenger told the reporter that the ship sailed at a 45 degree angle for 4 hours!:eek: Obviously that lady was scared and just had terrible cruise, but is that even possible?

Judy

Did you see the lead story on CNN's website last night? They reported interviews with passengers as they disembarked. One passenger told the reporter that the ship sailed at a 45 degree angle for 4 hours!:eek: Obviously that lady was scared and just had terrible cruise, but is that even possible?

Judy

Multiple people in different media outlets reported that... which goes back to my post earlier.. be careful what you say.. because it only takes one person for the wrong information to be passed on.

But the person stating it was 45 degree tilt for 4-6 hours was on a whole other level of misinformed. :confused:

Judy

I saw an interview of a guy on ABC who said the ship was on its side.:eek:

That's about a 15 degree difference between the edge of the sink and the surface of the water. That doesn't necessarily mean the ship was tilted 15 degrees at the time, as there are some kinetic factors that could affect it, but probably pretty close.

That's about a 15 degree difference between the edge of the sink and the surface of the water. That doesn't necessarily mean the ship was tilted 15 degrees at the time, as there are some kinetic factors that could affect it, but probably pretty close.

Yep, water is no different than the curtain in the way it moves. Once in motion it will tend to stay in motion, so, it might swing even further than the actually swing of the ship.

Some people have mentioned that they were on the 11th deck and others might have been on the 3rd deck. Both decks experienced the same movement, but the actual movement is much less on the lower deck.

Think of it this way the bottom keel of the ship when it rolls side to side doesn't move much, or theoretically at all. However on Deck 11 with a 15 degree swing the person in that cabin might be moving a great distance. Take the ship picture someone posted and rotate the ship showing 15 degrees from one side to the other side 15 degrees. That is a much greater distance than a point on deck three in the same relative position. That is why people often recommend to people who tend to sea sickness to book a lower deck and more in the middle of the ship.

JC

Edited by xpcdoojk

I thought there were 6 on Quantum but probably remembering wrong. Anyway, a nice quite place to do Internet stuff if I had to. It would have been easy for anyone on deck six aft to sneak in there via the back door.

There were two different locations on Quantum: Library on Deck 6 and Card Room. (Deck 4?)

Not sure if its accurate.. but someone who was on the ship.. stated some ship experience and figured it was 15-20 degree average.. some moments higher.. some lower.

Another poster took two photos that were posted and used a program to determine the one photo was 12 degrees... the other was 14 degrees.

Being on the ship.. relative to what is normal.. probably felt like 40 or greater for some. But what it "feels" like.. and what it factually was.. is different. Not sure if that information would ever be released. Would be interesting to know

We were on Freedom in Oct 2011 on the cruise after the one that was affected by the storm as they were leaving PC. People onboard were convinced the ship listed something like 30-40 degrees (I cant' remember exactly) because they have no clue, when in reality at the Captain's Corner, the Captain confirmed that the list was something like 6 degrees. Someone on the cruise leaving Saturday needs to ask this question of the Captain, either in passing, or at the Captain's Corner. And then, I want them to post it here. The bridge knew exactly how much the list was and I'm betting it was nowhere near 40 and probably not even 20.

I've even seen people post in the past that the ship they were on listed 90 degrees :rolleyes: Math skills are sorely lacking in some.

Edited by BND

That's actually very helpful. If you assume the sink is level, your shot was only off by one degree. Pretty impressive given the circumstances! :)

The Black line at -1 degree is the camera angle. The water, which would represent the actual tilt, is at 8 degrees - the red line. I also put in a purple line that's at an angle of 15 degrees off level. Finally, there's a green line to show the 45 degree angle. The water would be running out to the sink at around 15 degrees.

Angles.jpg

Edited by POA1

Thats not an unreasonable request IMO but in an effort to try and put you a little more at ease, Captain Claus will not be you Captain on Anthem in a few weeks. I read that he has left Anthem of the Seas as protocol for an investigation. Im not sure we will ever see him back in the fleet again. Its also my understanding that Captain Erik left Brilliance a few years ago the same way and never returned.

Captain Erik was on the December 13, 2010 Brilliance cruise when they got caught in the terrible storm trying to enter the Port of Alexandria. Brilliance had just as much damage and many injuries and even 1 death when all was said and done. He took early retirement due to emotional stress.

I hope that is not the same with Captain Claus. He is a good man and it would be a shame to see him leave.

Based on this picture I would estimate an angle of 14 degrees. An estimated drop of 3 tiles vertically over 21 tiles horizontally. But that's based on the moment that picture was taken.

Just saw the other response just now and that is not an unreasonable estimate as well.

Dave

Edited by SnorkelBoy

That's actually very helpful. If you assume the sink is level, your shot was only off by one degree. Pretty impressive given the circumstances! :)

The Black line at -1 degree is the camera angle. The water, which would represent the actual tilt, is at 8 degrees - the red line. I also put in a purple line that's at an angle of 15 degrees off level. Finally, there's a green line to show the 45 degree angle. The water would be running out to the sink at around 15 degrees.

Angles.jpg

Based on this pic I'm sticking with my 3 tile estimate. :)

Based on this picture I would estimate an angle of 14 degrees. An estimated drop of 3 tiles vertically over 21 tiles horizontally. But that's based on the moment that picture was taken.

Just saw the other response just now and that is not an unreasonable estimate as well.

Dave

All of the estimates on this picture are interesting to read! I knew it was nowhere near 45 degrees. I took this pic while confined in my stateroom, 11650: deck 11, mid ship (just 2-3 rooms aft of the rear elevators which are really quite midship if you look at the deck plans) starboard. This picture was taken facing forward (so we were tilting to the starboard side at the time).

Edited by bedazzler

Every try and walk up a 45% slope. Its close to the stairs in most homes. If the ship was at 45% the life boats would be in the water with the wave heights. Also there would be a lot of people with injury's even being in there rooms. You wouldn't be able to stand up and it would be like falling down a set of stairs and hitting the wall. Also a passenger on CNN was saying 180 mile an hour winds. in the next few days it will be 200 plus miles an hour and 60%. Just like a fish story, it gets bigger every time its told.

Dave

I took the top of the sink to be one line (adjacent) and the water to be the other (hypotenuse) and then calculated the angle from that. It came out as being about 9.5 degrees. The variations would be the aspect ratio of the image and measurement errors. So between 9 and 10 degrees would be about right.

Would have been fun being on board. A lot more interesting than flat seas.

I explained that a few days ago. Remember Isacc Newton, the math guy from England. He stated that the if the net force on an object is zero, then it is stationary. Which leads to a couple of obvious things. An object at rest will tend to stay at rest unless some force acts upon it. The other consequence is the one that you witnessed an object in motion will not change its motion unless a force acts upon it.

Simply stated the object your curtain when you are at the dock in Bayonne is hanging straight down. It doesn't move until you open the door and the wind blows it. The force, Luke.

When your ship is at sea the object your curtain, swings it starts in motion due to the force, Gravity, as the ship rolls on the wave. It continues to swing even after the ship has stopped the roll because it is in motion it wants to continue then after the ship rolls the force Gravity is now acting on the curtain in the opposite way and it swings back. The ship might be rolling to 15 degrees, but the curtain could easily swing to 30 degrees or more.

A 15 degree shift in a cruise ship is a huge movement, when people say things like it moved to 30 or even 45 that is a crazy monstrous movement. People are skeptical when those kind of numbers are shared. Could it happen, yes, did it happen. Not likely, in fact I would bet a cruise on it.

JC

So why would it stay at around 30 degrees for around 10 minutes at a time . You must have had a crazy swing as a kid

Edited by shaun07

Based on this pic I'm sticking with my 3 tile estimate. :)

Metric tiles, I assume? ;) I realize that the photo is just one moment in time, but Bedazzler's photo standing up is pretty close to 8 as well. I put the 15 degree line in because that's when the water runs out of the sink - based solely on how much water is in the sink when the photo was taken.

The lines were rotated using the drawing program. You simply select a line and enter the angle of rotation. They're actually skinny rectangles so I could be sure they started out level. It's a little easier to visualize the tilt this way.

Great job with the camera, by the way! My photos are usually off by more than a degree when I'm standing on dry land.

If he was a really good man he may be decribed as a saint.

Wouldn't that be cool having Captain Santa Claus. :D

Seeing that we've cruised with Captain Claus 20+ times and have been on itineraries where the weather has been just as bad (October 15, 2011 Sydney to Perth........bad weather getting to Port Douglas) I think I'm very qualified to say he is a very good man.

EVERYONE on board had internet, dandee. The ship gave them free wifi for the duration of their cruise.

Which reminds me....VOOM is GREAT! Before it got opened up to everyone, it was as fast or faster than home. Once everybody had access, it dropped down to probably slightly more than a regular ship's wi-fi. It was, however, accessible everywhere I tried to use it. It would, understandably, occassionally flake out, but that was rare.